• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street to Milton Keynes variety!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalowbill

Hi all,

(First post, be kind!)

Currently I travel from Birmingham New Street to Milton Keynes Central on the London Midland 17:54, arriving 19:22 - a direct train.

Due to the Coventry disruption today, LM have said it is permissible to take the 17:49 Cross Country service from BHM to Tamworth (arrives 18:08) and then the 18:20 LM service from TAM to MKC (arrives 19:14).

I've spotted that this journey is actually 3 minutes quicker than my usual direct journey. Would that make it a permissible route on any normal day, on an "Any permitted" route ticket, or is that permission based on distance over duration?

Currently I have a monthly season from MKC to BHM, any permitted, which I use mainly for VM services but occasionally LM if I am working at odd times.

Thanks,
Bill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
I cannot see that a Milton Keynes Central to Birmingham ticket is valid for journeys via Tamworth.

However, a Milton Keynes to Wilnecote ticket seems to be valid via Birmingham and via Tamworth, and is £451.60 for a month for travel on any permitted route.

I assume that you are aware that there is a cheaper London Midland-only season ticket available for Milton Keynes-Birmingham (which is priced the same as an LM-only Milton Keynes-Wolverhampton season ticket).

Also, you mention buying a monthly ticket, but are you aware that you can buy (at the same daily equivalent rate) a season for any period between a month and a year, e.g. a ticket for a month and a couple of days that starts on a Monday and ends on a Friday (or ends on the day before you start a holiday or starts on the day you go back to work after a holiday) - this can be a way of minimising the number of non-travelling days that you pay for.

bungalowbill

Thanks for that - I've had a good mosey around the National Routeing Guide and would concur that BHM to MKC via TAM is not a valid route.

Interestingly, though, BHM and MKC are listed as "EB" in the ATOC "Yellow Pages" as is Nuneaton, presumably that means BHM to Nuneaton and then Nuneaton to MKC would be valid?

I did used to take the cheaper MKC to BHM LM-only ticket but like the option to take VM trains where I can, for comfort and speed.

Cheers,
Bill.

Romilly

Established Member
I agree that a Milton Keynes- Birmingham ticket can be used via Nuneaton. Interestingly, if you search for journeys via Nuneaton for tomorrow there are still £5 Advances available in each direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.