• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street

Will I be safe booking this ticket, or is it a bit dangerous?

• The station is open 24 hours so you will be fine :)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • The station is probably open 24 hours so you will be fine :)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Don't book it, bad things may happen

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Hello,
I am travelling from London to North Wales on Friday the 30th of June, and as can be seen here the cheapest way to do it by far is on the 2330 EUS-BHM then the 0530 BHM-BNG. This is what I would like to do, but it seems to involve a 3 or 4 hour wait at New Street in the middle of the night. Is it ok to wait there? I remember New Street being like an airport inside and it is staffed 24 hours a day apparently so I assume it is fine, especially as journey planner says its fine. Any advice?

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Hello,
I am travelling from London to North Wales on Friday the 30th of June, and as can be seen here the cheapest way to do it by far is on the 2330 EUS-BHM then the 0530 BHM-BNG. This is what I would like to do, but it seems to involve a 3 or 4 hour wait at New Street in the middle of the night. Is it ok to wait there? I remember New Street being like an airport inside and it is staffed 24 hours a day apparently so I assume it is fine, especially as journey planner says its fine. Any advice?

Probably a lot safer inside than outside if you are allowed to remain within awaiting your connection :p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There's a couple of cheap hotels nearby if you don't want to wait on New St for 4 hours - Etap springs to mind. Apart from the enclosed metal seating there's nowhere really to bed down for the night, and I think the platforms may be blocked off, but I'm not too sure.

SprinterMan

Established Member
There's a couple of cheap hotels nearby if you don't want to wait on New St for 4 hours - Etap springs to mind. Apart from the enclosed metal seating there's nowhere really to bed down for the night, and I think the platforms may be blocked off, but I'm not too sure.

The trouble is I have literally no money. I hate being a student (grrrrr :P) As long as the metal seating area is open all night I will be fine there. Are you allowed to stay there all night?

SprinterMan

Established Member
Oh dear. It seems I'm screwed now.
What am I gonna do in BHM for 4 hours in the middle of the night without spending any money or getting wet/cold/robbed/raped/murdered/arrested/etc.

SS4

Established Member
It was open all night, not sure if it will be open for passenger use with Gateway Plus renovations though. It wouldn't surprise me if they kept the waiting room open after 10pm - that sign also says one needs a valid ticket and that they're checked and I've never seen a ticket check done.

The Pallasades entrance will be closed though.

SprinterMan

Established Member
It was open all night, not sure if it will be open for passenger use with Gateway Plus renovations though. It wouldn't surprise me if they kept the waiting room open after 10pm - that sign also says one needs a valid ticket and that they're checked and I've never seen a ticket check done.

The Pallasades entrance will be closed though.

Sounds promising.
Please help, I'm really unsure what to do now.
This train is so cheap, but I don't wanna get kicked out of New Street at night.
Does anyone on here know people who work at New Street?
Adam :cry:

dvboy

Established Member
The waiting room at BHM doesn't have a surrounding wall anymore so it would be pretty difficult to close it off overnight. There is also free wi-fi there.

Some of the entrances are now closed overnight, including the one up the the Pallasades and New Street itself, and most of the platform level waiting rooms are closed, but you should be fine on the concourse.

SprinterMan

Established Member
The waiting room at BHM doesn't have a surrounding wall anymore so it would be pretty difficult to close it off overnight. There is also free wi-fi there.

Some of the entrances are now closed overnight, including the one up the the Pallasades and New Street itself, and most of the platform level waiting rooms are closed, but you should be fine on the concourse.

Yeah, I was wondering how they would close it off as it seems pretty open plan.
Does this entrance remain open?
How sure are you I will be fine in the concourse? :P

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I don't know if there are any other free places to go.

There is an internet cafe open all night at £2 / hour.
http://www.netadventure.co.uk/html/opening.html
or the riley's have snooker tables for £1.80 / hour

Is there anywhere within the station that is open 24 hours a day?

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Shame there are no early services from International, as I would have suggested hanging around the airport, guaranteed to be open 24 hours.

dvboy

Established Member
That entrance pictured doesn't close overnight, as far as I know, nor the one onto the taxi rank.

According to NRE the ticket office is open 24 hours except Sunday mornings before 7:30, so there must be access to the concourse at the same times.

All of the retail outlets in the station close overnight. I think the last to close is Camden Food Co which closes at midnight.

Near the station there is a 24h McDonalds on the ramp from the Pallasades to New Street

Access to the station through the Pallasades is now closed between midnight and 5am (it used to be 24 hours so access to the station certainly was 24 hours via that route until recently).

SprinterMan

Established Member
That entrance pictured doesn't close overnight, as far as I know, nor the one onto the taxi rank.

According to NRE the ticket office is open 24 hours except Sunday mornings before 7:30, so there must be access to the concourse at the same times.

All of the retail outlets in the station close overnight. I think the last to close is Camden Food Co which closes at midnight.

Near the station there is a 24h McDonalds on the ramp from the Pallasades to New Street

Access to the station through the Pallasades is now closed between midnight and 5am (it used to be 24 hours so access to the station certainly was 24 hours via that route until recently).

So there is a 24 hour McDonalds, but no way to easily access it now.
DAMN!

Adam :P

mattyb1405

Shame there are no early services from International, as I would have suggested hanging around the airport, guaranteed to be open 24 hours.

There are some early buses from Bham Intl that stop nearish New Street that could be worth checking.

tony_mac

Established Member
As an alternative there is a national express coach that arrives in Birmingham at 3:35, which wouldn't give you as much time to kill, but you would need to make the walk to New St (10 minutes ish)
As there are overnight coaches, Birmingham coach station will be open, and it should be staffed, so you can wait there until daylight.

It's a little cheaper to do it this way as well.

(I don't know what the coach station is like, but it's quite new)

SprinterMan

Established Member
As I am coming from the other side of London, getting a bus isn't practical sadly.

I won't be murdered or anything will I? New Street isn't that bad even at night is it?
(Sorry, I'm a bit of a worrier)

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who voted the last option?
Please give a reason :P

Temple Meads

Established Member
I won't be murdered or anything will I? New Street isn't that bad even at night is it?
As long as you avoid the drug dealers/prostitutes/pimps/alcoholics/beggars/pickpockets/nutters/mad cat women, you should be OK.

Don't worry, I'm only kidding :P

New Street's always been fine when I've been there, albeit no later than 8pm.

SS4

Established Member
New Street's always been fine although I've never been in there past half 11. You may come across beggars and/or homeless who come into the station for the shelter overnight and idk how vigilant they are in turfing them out. You're biggest problem will be boredom so make sure you have plenty to do!

SS4

Established Member
As long as it's not on show you'll be ok as far (as it's possible to be certain). How much do you stand to save on this itinerary?

SprinterMan

Established Member
As long as it's not on show you'll be ok as far (as it's possible to be certain). How much do you stand to save on this itinerary?

Right. Basically what has happened is I have finish my year at uni so I'm now waiting to go home in the house I will be living in next year in a small village halfway up a mountain where I don't know anyone. I'm really lonely and want to go and visit my family. I have managed to get a cheap ticket (£16.50) for BNG-SUY but aside from this ticket I can't find one for less than £30.35 in the other direction, and I really need to do the whole journey for less than £36 ish. I am saving £18 (more than half the price of the ticket) by getting this late ticket. I need to arrive in Bangor before 10pm so I can get a bus to my village. I need to get to bangor before the 9th because I need to sign papers with my landlady.

Adam :)

trainophile

Established Member
I'm confused now. Where does SUY (Sudbury Suffolk) come into it?

Also the NRE link in your first post is for Friday 6th July not 30th June.

However, aside from these queries, do you have a friend you could travel with? Either someone from your local area who is also going home, or just a mate who wouldn't mind a few days holiday, assuming your parents would put him/her up?

Alternatively, if you don't mind your folks knowing how skint you are, could they loan you the money to pay for a journey at a more sociable time of day?

ETA could you clarify this bit please as it doesn't really make sense?...

I'm now waiting to go home in the house I will be living in next year

Status
Not open for further replies.