• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham on course to Host 2022 Commonwealth Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very good job Birmingham City Centre has 3 train stations, as 2022 is set to see just a small rise in tourists... Thrilled about this - just hope they clear the rubbish!

Birmingham has been chosen over Liverpool for England's bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has backed the West Midlands city which will now hope to convince the Commonwealth Games Federation it should stage the event.

Canada and Malaysia are among other the countries expected to bid to host the 2022 Games.

Durban was stripped of the event earlier this year.

The South African city originally won the bidding process in 2015 but the Commonwealth Games Federation was not convinced it could successfully host the event and launched a new search for a host city.

Both Birmingham and Liverpool expressed early interest and put together competing bids.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
It is not a major achievement. Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and even Cardiff have held it in the past.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It is not a major achievement. Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and even Cardiff have held it in the past.

Quite. I now predict a bidding-war between Aston Villa and Birmingham City over who gets the "gift" (or should that be curse?) of a shiny new stadium!

Seacook

A very good job Birmingham City Centre has 3 train stations, as 2022 is set to see just a small rise in tourists... Thrilled about this - just hope they clear the rubbish!

Very few events are scheduled for Birmingham city centre so far. Not sure what sports but they will be in the Barclaycard Arena and the Symphony Hall.

Athletics are at the Alexander Arena (nearest station Perry Barr).
Netball at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry.
Bowls (I think I herard on the local news) in Leamington Spa.
Swimming and diving at an as-yet-unknown location in Sandwell, assuming it is built in time.
Some events at the NEC.
Some at Birmingham University.
Rugby sevens at Villa Park.

gg1

Established Member
Great news, hope it's more successful than the 1992 Olympics bid.

Athletics are at the Alexander Arena (nearest station Perry Barr).

Good to see the plan is for a stadium which will likely remain primarily athletics focused after the games.

Bowls (I think I herard on the local news) in Leamington Spa.

Didn't realise that was in the commonwealth games, seems a bit of a bizarre one.

Swimming and diving at an as-yet-unknown location in Sandwell

Wednesbury baths? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.