Birmingham to London

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by tivoli, 7 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tivoli

tivoli Member

Travelled today first class advance 12.50 Birmingham New St to London Euston, no problems whatsoever.

However, the earlier had 12.30 was advertised as not having a first class service for some technical reason. Had I been booked on that would I have been entitled to take a later train with first class, even though my booked train did run.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. HSTlover198

HSTlover198 Member

I don't think so, you would probably be able to claim back the difference between first and standard, but I don't think you would of been allowed to travel on the next train.

4. Polarbear

Polarbear Established Member

Although the 12:30 service was advertised as not having 1st class service, that doesn't necessarily mean the train didn't have 1st class accommodation. As the first class fare is for access to the accommodation & not any on board service provided, I don't think any refund would be appropriate.

5. deltic

deltic Established Member

my limited experience of disruption with Virgin is that if you had asked they probably would have let you travel on the later train especially as first class was probably empty

6. tivoli

tivoli Member

True, not many on and in practice reservation for my train not checked anyway.

7. maniacmartin

maniacmartin Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I believe that this is the official response for this situation. The obvious question is how would one calculate the difference when the ticket was an Advance? :D

8. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

It's perfectly simple...Just:

[youtube]OhllHw5jQOg[/youtube]

:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.