• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birthday treat to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think I've done something silly and just seeing if I can make things simpler now.

I'm visiting Manchester on (Sat) February 25th and London (Sun) February 26th to see a band I rather like.

I've booked my tickets for the band and an Advance train ticket reasonably early on the 26th from Manchester Piccadilly so I can meet friends in London for lunch.

It looks like there's something big on in Manchester that weekend and hotel prices are scary (and hostels are needed multiple nights booking). I'm looking further afield and hotels in Stockport are reasonable.

You may be able to see where I'm going here...

Is there any way I could join the train at Stockport or will I have to get into Manchester? Annoyingly, I'm travelling too early to get the train to Piccadilly, so I'd have to do that by bus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Officially? No.

In practice? If it's early on there's a good chance the barriers will be open and tickets are not checked Manchester-Stockport. If they are not, or if you want a clearer conscience, you could perhaps purchase a single to Manchester and use that to get through the barriers, then say something like "you don't really want me to go to Manchester and back, do you, as long as I've paid what I should have?" if anyone asks?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Officially? No.

In practice? If it's early on there's a good chance the barriers will be open and tickets are not checked Manchester-Stockport. If they are not, or if you want a clearer conscience, you could perhaps purchase a single to Manchester and use that to get through the barriers, then say something like "you don't really want me to go to Manchester and back, do you, as long as I've paid what I should have?" if anyone asks?

I thought of doing that, but if they say "yes", it's too late as there's no train to Manchester early enough and unless I go over an hour early to ask the question it'll be too late to get the bus.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought of doing that, but if they say "yes", it's too late as there's no train to Manchester early enough and unless I go over an hour early to ask the question it'll be too late to get the bus.

True. Anything other than boarding at Picc is going to be a risk, but at that time of the morning on a Sunday the risk is I would think low. Your choice though.

me123

Established Member
As Neil said, you officially cannot board at Stockport. You might be able to change the advance ticket for a £10 fee plus any additional cost at a local ticket office - this may be cheaper than staying in Manchester that weekend (those prices are basically London prices!). A taxi would be about £20 apparently though, so if there was a difference in the fare you'd probably not be worthwhile paying it.

Alternatively, you could stay out at Manchester Airport which has an all night bus service direct to Picc courtesy of TPE? Prices out there are cheap.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Some of the more dozy/luggage laden pax from Manchester haven't even found their seats by Stockport, and onboard ticket checks are nonexistant between these two stations on Virgin, so the risk of detection is very low. You'll need something to get through the barriers at Stockport, ideally a single to Manchester, but I can't possibly see how you'd be picked up on it, provided you don't kick up a fuss if someone's in your seat.

Morally I don't see an issue, but be aware that in the worst case scenario, you could theoretically be charged an SOS onboard if you have the misfortune of it being noticed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Technically you could be prosecuted, I'd have thought (using another ticket to open the barrier could arise enough suspicion to at least try RoRA), but very unlikely - a Manchester ticket is actually quite reasonable as no doubt if you could do the double-back you would - and VTWC are not known for being prosecution-happy.

It's not being done to avoid a fare so I don't see any problem with it.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
I'd check to see if there are cheaper/same price advance fares to/from Stockport. If there are then by starting/stopping short you're not gaming the system, and surely this would then fall under the staff guidance to be reasonable?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'd check to see if there are cheaper/same price advance fares to/from Stockport. If there are then by starting/stopping short you're not gaming the system, and surely this would then fall under the staff guidance to be reasonable?

I believe the Advance tiers are exactly the same from Stockport and Manchester (though they've gone up by £30 on the service I'm on since yesterday).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I really can't see an issue, morally or otherwise, simply joining at Stockport.

Buying a ticket to Manchester, if necessary, and not travelling there and back needlessly is perfectly reasonable in my eyes, and those of most TMs.

You'll be fine.

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought that the guidance to TOCs is to only consider prosecuting if the customer is making a material gain by starting/stopping short on an Advance ticket?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
There's a room on Airbnb for £40 right next to Piccadilly for the 25th. Win-Win as you stay in Manchester and are close for an early start the next day.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I thought that the guidance to TOCs is to only consider prosecuting if the customer is making a material gain by starting/stopping short on an Advance ticket?

The guidance wasn't over "prosecuting", but "charging for a new ticket", even.

I can't speak for the situation now, but a few years back when I worked for Virgin, I know that Stockport station staff took a pragmatic and common-sense approach to tickets to/from Manchester Stations.

I very much doubt the OP will have any issue.

najaB

Veteran Member
The guidance wasn't over "prosecuting", but "charging for a new ticket", even.
That makes it even less likely that the OP will have problems if they buy a single ticket to cover the 'missing' part of the journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That makes it even less likely that the OP will have problems if they buy a single ticket to cover the 'missing' part of the journey.

Agreed. Only the most awkward member of staff will say anything if the OP purchases a single to Manchester from the TVM (specifically that, not a short-fare), uses it to go through the barrier, then goes for the VT instead.

Once on the VT if there is any issue show said single to Manchester while explaining honestly what you did and why.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
First thing on a Sunday is anyone bothered? The barriers at Stockport will probably be open and the TM will probably not appear till south of Rugby if at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.