Bishops Stortford south side goods yard /engineers sidings

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by 47421, 8 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 47421

47421 Member

Earlier this year the old goods yard sidings immediately south of Bishops Stortford station were disconnected. In recent years they have only been used for engineering trains - unit type devices, not loco hauled. This morning one of those trains was in the sidings.

Anyone know why a siding that was only disconnected a few months ago is now back in use?

2. scott118

scott118 Member

are you referring to the siding behind the old signal box?
    What were once the goods sidings, were condemned i believe, as they was wanting to use that area, for a private car park, once the stations fascia had been remodelled..

Between Broxbourne and Whittlesford, there is no other stabling points for tampers, rail grinders, ballast regulators and the such like..

3. 47421

47421 Member

Yes the siding behind the signal box. In use last year, disconnected earlier this year, back in use today

4. scott118

scott118 Member

Forgive my ignorance, however, how do you know it was disconnected? Where they not simply clamped out of use, whilst station and car park modifications took place?

5. 47421

47421 Member

The section of track to the siding was physically removed and the section on the mainline replaced with no gap where the line to the siding crossed it. Hence my surprise to see the siding in use again.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I know this from seeing it, I use Stortford station regularly

6. scott118

scott118 Member

London end of platform 1?

7. 47421

47421 Member

Yes that's right

8. chappers

chappers Member

There was damage to the nose of the crossing, which necessitated its removal and replacement with a plain rail. A new nose has obviously recently been installed (I was at the Station on Tuesday and could see the new nose in place and the Grinding Train in the sidings).

Its been a pain in the backside having to transit tampers etc from Whittlesford rather than Stortford, so this is a welcome bit of work completed

9. 47421

47421 Member

Thanks for info. I had assumed siding had been permanently disconnected given proposed housing development on whole goods yard site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.