• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BITE Card. Swap it or lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscho84233

It seems as long as you travel from a station beginning with A to a station beginning with A you can apply otherwise you have to either lie or give in. :roll:

That's what I thought at first, but it turns out you just type your station into the drop down list.

EDIT: Beat me to it by seconds, Mojo!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SAPhil

Certainly doesnt work for me

You need to omit the space!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is that really the point though? Ask yourself why would they need this information? and if the answer is not satisfying then it's not worth it. All I can imagine they "need" the mobile number for is to SMS offers.

It is the point if you don't have a mobile!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've re-signed up (given they had my details before) and don't really care too much about giving my mobile number or email address.

I expect some marketing material in return for 20% off. The scheme has to be funded one way or another, and I know that if I don't agree - I can vote with my feet and refuse to sign up. But, then I'd pay 20% more so, for me, it's worth it.

I can't recall getting loads of emails from my old Bite card (a quick check shows the last email I got was March 2011 for a free muffin). It's odd that I never got an email to tell me I needed to change my card though!

Seacook

I've re-signed up (given they had my details before) and don't really care too much about giving my mobile number or email address.

I expect some marketing material in return for 20% off. The scheme has to be funded one way or another, and I know that if I don't agree - I can vote with my feet and refuse to sign up. But, then I'd pay 20% more so, for me, it's worth it.

I can't recall getting loads of emails from my old Bite card (a quick check shows the last email I got was March 2011 for a free muffin). It's odd that I never got an email to tell me I needed to change my card though!

Pedantry alert! You would be paying 25% more: the base figure for calculating the percentage has altered.

tony_mac

Established Member
I e-mailed them about mobile numbers and got the following reply:

"Please enter 07000 000000 in the mobile phone field and you will be able to proceed with your application."

Oddly enough, that is exactly the number I had already given them!
I usually just lie about details like date of birth.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Only (some!) Americans would be daft enough to do that; only they think a word for a donkey is a swear word;)

By the looks of it you have to over 16 is this true ?
If that's what they say then yes. :p

But then the minimum age for most websites is 13, yet there are an incredibly disproportionate number of users on websites such as Youtube etc claiming to be 13 so you can make your own guess as to whether youngsters stick to that or not (conversely there are a disproportionate number of rail passengers claiming to be 15!)

Ive signed up for mine!!
Happy Birthday! ;)

I always put 01234 567890 as my land line number - I did notice that 01234 is Bedford, so apologies to the person who is getting all my marketing calls :lol::lol:
I wouldn't feel guilty, it seems that whoever owns that number is themselves guilty of spamming people!

Established Member
If that's what they say then yes. :p

But then the minimum age for most websites is 13, yet there are an incredibly disproportionate number of users on websites such as Youtube etc claiming to be 13 so you can make your own guess as to whether youngsters stick to that or not (conversely there are a disproportionate number of rail passengers claiming to be 15!)

Happy Birthday! ;)

LOL:D im not far off and use pumpkin a hell of a lot so would be great to have this card

Dreadnought

So when do the old cards supposedly finish?

Also, why if I need to register for a new card have I not had an email telling me about this and the first I know about it is from a railway forum? I've had offers by email before so they've got my address.

I also used a Pumpkin on Saturday and there was nothing in there to say that a new card would be required either.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Ha Ha! I fooled their devious plan to obtain my personal details by putting in a false phone number and a false address! That'll fix them!

Lampshade

Established Member
I just gave them an old, disconnected mobile number.

I've not used my card for months, I thought you could only use them in Network Rail managed stations for some reason :?

thelem

Why do I need to reapply and re-enter my details? We take the protection of your personal data very seriously. As we are changing the name and other elements of the scheme we are unable to transfer your personal details across from the current database, due to data protection legislation. We would also like to ensure we have the most up-to-date information about you. You will be able to update this yourself from now on.

What a load of rubbish. There are no DPA regulations which this would impact (unless they are somehow saying that the manner in which previous names/addresses were collected for the original card several years ago was uncompliant).

There possibly is if they are running this with a new partner and didn't get permissions to share the details with any third parties.

More likely, they just don't trust their old database and/or can't be bothered to migrate it over (particularly if they're introducing user accounts for the first time).

OuterDistant

Whoops, opened a can of worms here!

It's fair enough if they want my mobile no; the discount has to be paid for somehow. It's just that I'm never comfortable with giving it out - I only recently signed up for the old card and it wasn't mandatory then.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Like i said before, I've never heard of them. Is this just for use in London, like those Lobster cards? Don't think i'll bother, I try to make a point of never signing up to anything that asks for your name, address, email, phone number & c.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No it's valid at any GB railway station that has a participating retail outlet (which is most of them bar a few notable exceptions such as the BK at Marylebone).

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
Tried to register at work earlier today & it said I had to be over 16 & I'd not entered a valid DOB!:roll: A bit odd when your're 46 years old but hey.....:)

Managed to register tonight at home.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Aha, so that's why the establishments are so keen to say 'your order is free if you don't get a receipt'! :D

Has anyone ever actually got their money back if they haven't been given their receipt?

On three occasions, all at different places in the past couple of years, I have not been given a receipt and the staff member turned to the next vict.... customer and I've said "You forgot my receipt!", pointed at the sign and the thievi.... member of staff has simply found the receipt and handed it over!

In recent months the signs seem to have vanished anyway; do they no longer offer the money back if they forget the receipt?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Has anyone ever actually got their money back if they haven't been given their receipt?

YES, once, quite recently actually, one person working in the Delice de France outlet at East Croydon (sorry if you are reading) - gave me my change and then went to make my drink. Gave me my drink and said thank you. I would have let her off that once if she gave it to me with my drink but she didn't. I felt a little guilty because she'd probably be going on for a meeting without coffee (if you'd excuse the joke).

On three occasions, all at different places in the past couple of years, I have not been given a receipt and the staff member turned to the next vict.... customer and I've said "You forgot my receipt!", pointed at the sign and the thievi.... member of staff has simply found the receipt and handed it over!

You've got to be quick and say tough, you didn't give me my receipt with my change so I want a refund ;) :P

In recent months the signs seem to have vanished anyway; do they no longer offer the money back if they forget the receipt?
I think thats because of the state of repair most of them are in however the policy still stands nationwide at most SSP outlets :smile:

TP

jon0844

Veteran Member
Pedantry alert! You would be paying 25% more: the base figure for calculating the percentage has altered.

Sorry, yes! Even more reason then!

And that reminds me of that very question scenario in my maths exam!

IanD

Established Member
No it's valid at any GB railway station that has a participating retail outlet (which is most of them bar a few notable exceptions such as the BK at Marylebone).

And Burger King on Chesterfield High Street apparently, although not sure this particular branch exists.

Attachments

• bkchesterfield.jpg
    bkchesterfield.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 57

rdwarr

I've applied for the card and given my correct details. It seems a fair price to pay for the discounts and I know I can unsubscribe from mailings in the future.

thelem

Tried to register at work earlier today & it said I had to be over 16 & I'd not entered a valid DOB!:roll: A bit odd when your're 46 years old but hey.....:)

Managed to register tonight at home.

Do you have an old version of Internet Explorer at work (7 or older)? Their FAQ says registration has problems in these browsers.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, the locations where the retailers are operated by SSP and about 200%* more expensive than anywhere else. You can't get 20% off the normal high-street prices.

Do any motorway service stations have a similar discount card (or indeed, does SSP run any of these)? They're always a rip off too!

* Sorry for the gross exaggeration. I did of course mean 2000%

Status
Not open for further replies.