• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BITE Card. Swap it or lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Established Member
Do you have an old version of Internet Explorer at work (7 or older)? Their FAQ says registration has problems in these browsers.

Yes, that'll be the problem. Work ain't going to upgrade IE explorer any time soon so I'll have to do this sort of things at home.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
They're only valid at railway stations.

I was only repeating what was on their website as shown by the screen shot. If you check the BK website, there is no such branch as Chesterfield High Street (not sure if there's even a High Street in Chesterfield).

Anyway, they are also available at some bus stations too, so not ONLY railway stations.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do any motorway service stations have a similar discount card (or indeed, does SSP run any of these)? They're always a rip off too!
[/SIZE]

I only use McD's at Motorway service stations as they are usually the same price wherever they are.

jon0844

Veteran Member
McDonald's apparently refuse to increase prices, which ultimately 'cost' them positions in some motorway service station chains.

BK seems happy to charge even more than at train stations (from memory - I haven't been to a service station for some considerable time so may be wrong now).

monty9120

Yes, the locations where the retailers are operated by SSP and about 200%* more expensive than anywhere else. You can't get 20% off the normal high-street prices.

Do any motorway service stations have a similar discount card (or indeed, does SSP run any of these)? They're always a rip off too!

* Sorry for the gross exaggeration. I did of course mean 2000%

no as most are run by different chains.

if you have an aa card you get 20% off at moto service stations though

brianthegiant

I e-mailed them about mobile numbers and got the following reply:

"Please enter 07000 000000 in the mobile phone field and you will be able to proceed with your application."

I couldn't get 07000000000 or 0123467890 to work as mobile numbers.
I guess SSP marketing people are spotting the loopholes and closing them.

In the meantime mobile numbers for drama use seem to work,
see
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/numbering/guidance-tele-no/numbers-for-drama

rdwarr

see
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/numbering/guidance-tele-no/numbers-for-drama

Or you could put in your own number then register it with TPS. I do a bit of telemarketing support and we will never call a TPS number (and also flag the people with 01234 567890 so people don't waste their time).

LE Greys

Established Member
I was thinking of getting one of these cards, and all this talk of marketing has put me right off now.

see

I've used that a few times. To save you looking it up 07700 900 XXX is the fictional section for mobiles, and 07700 900 213 is an EMU backwards (312009) which is true for a lot of my fictional numbers.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if the software is checking to see if a mobile number has already been used? If everyone is trying 07000 000000 then perhaps it is treated like having multiple uses of the same email address for some registrations.

It's one way (albeit a poor one) to try and limit things to one per person. Not that one person would need two cards, but from an advertisers point of view - I'd want to know that there was a way to stop anyone (even the operators of the scheme itself) to create fictitious customers that I'm asked to pay to advertise to.

Clip

Established Member
BK seems happy to charge even more than at train stations (from memory - I haven't been to a service station for some considerable time so may be wrong now).

BK dont set the prices though - SSP who run the things do. Rents are pricey at rail stations and in the case of NR Major Stations they also have a cut of the profits they make IIRC.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I know it's SSP setting the price, but that's surely why McDonald's left a lot of service stations as I presume they were told they couldn't raise the prices - and so either the franchisee couldn't afford to run as a McDonald's, or the site owner wanted someone else in their place.

BK obviously chooses to let SSP do what it likes. I like their burgers, so it's ironic that its their prices that make me feel sick. :)

Clip

Established Member
If you know that then why state that 'BK seems happy to charge more at stations'?

They are just a franchise anyway like subway and what have you.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Because they're happy to trade with inflated prices. McDonald's isn't.

Most branches are franchises, but the brand can and will lay down certain rules.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have re-registered for mine no problems.

One strange ommission on The Airports you use list is Edinburgh ??

They have Glasgow and Prestwick but not EDI :p

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Not everything which SSP does is super expensive. Has anyone else used those new outlets called "Bread Box" popping up in a few places? Manchester Piccadilly has one, as does London Victoria - I'm sure there must be more. Cheap, decent, plain and simple stuff. Where tea is £1 and when someone in front orders a coffee they get served straight away without you having to wait 15 mins while lots of vigorous banging of coffee beans, grinding, stirring, sloshing and whirring goes on to produce a hideously expensive cup of frothy stuff.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Where tea is £1 and when someone in front orders a coffee they get served straight away without you having to wait 15 mins while lots of vigorous banging of coffee beans, grinding, stirring, sloshing and whirring goes on to produce a hideously expensive cup of frothy stuff.

The coffee thing winds me up sooooooo much. Im like i just want to pay for my bottle of sprite not wait for 10 minutes while you do some uneccesary crap to some milk to fill coffee with air....

Status
Not open for further replies.