• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Black & White Check Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnshire

While out last week I saw a black & white check sign ( no words on it ) fasten to a bridge just the same as the red and white sign No Refuge sign, What does this one mean? Been looking on internet and can,t find it, looked in RBI signs catalouge and didn,t see it there.
It looked quite new so what does it mean?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
While out last week I saw a black & white check sign ( no words on it ) fasten to a bridge just the same as the red and white sign No Refuge sign, What does this one mean? Been looking on internet and can,t find it, looked in RBI signs catalouge and didn,t see it there.
Laser Survey Trains use them as Datums when in use, there's a few on the Midland Mainline.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think when this has been asked previously it’s usually been found to be a surveying target. So not actually a railway sign despite the resemblance to the sign you mentioned. Here’s a previous discussion from 2019, post #6 is the answer:

lincolnshire

Black and white, or blue and white? The latter is no refuge (where red and white is limited clearance).
Black & White and as big as a red and white sign. Often survey ones are small round ones that they can use with a laser beam theodolite.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I think when this has been asked previously it’s usually been found to be a surveying target. So not actually a railway sign despite the resemblance to the sign you mentioned. Here’s a previous discussion from 2019, post #6 is the answer:

Will queries about these signs ever rival the “datum plate“ for most asked about sign on this forum? :?::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.