• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackfriars to East Croydon with a Zones 1-3 Travelcard plus a paper ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilopylae

I'm sure this question will have a simple answer but I'm tearing my hair out trying to understand the London fares system. Me and two other people, all three of us with a paper Zones 1-3 Seven Day Travelcard, are looking to travel from central London to East Croydon (we're not interested in taking the Tram all the way from Wimbledon). We plan to take a Thameslink train from Blackfriars to East Croydon.

Would it be valid to travel on that train with the Travelcard and a Sydenham to East Croydon paper ticket, as Sydenham is in Zone 3 and the Thameslink train passes through it on the way to East Croydon? I am aware that the train does not need to call at the station in question for the combination to be valid, but is it a problem that the station (Sydenham) is not even served by the TOC (Thameslink)? - all Thameslink trains pass through without calling.

The relevant rule is Condition 14.2:

14.2 If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

(Posted at the same time as Kite159) You could do that, but a Boundary Zone 3 to Croydon fare is quite a bit cheaper. They are more difficult to get hold of, unfortunately, but some ticket machines and any ticket office can sell them. An Anytime Day Return is £5.80, whereas the Sydenham fare is £7.10.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You shouldn’t have any difficulties getting the Boundary Zone ticket at a ticket office in London.

A Boundary Zone ticket is also more flexible than the Sydenham ticket as you have more routes available to you should your plans change and, for example, you want to travel to somewhere like Victoria.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For completeness, if you did for any reason buy the Sydenham ticket, it would be perfectly valid to use on a Thameslink service. The only proviso is that it must obviously be one that goes via Sydenham.

Status
Not open for further replies.