Blackpool Airport Reopening Stopped By Local Council

LancasterRed

Proposals to see commercial flights taking off from Blackpool Airport once again have been dealt a blow by councillors, who have voted that they will not support the idea, in an explosive full council meeting.

Following the debate, the Blackpool councillors voted in favour of the motion that they cannot support the reopening of Blackpool Airport to commercial flights at this time.
Apologies that I couldn't grab the full quote due to Lancs Live's finicky mobile interface. Calling Blackpool a 'gateway to the lakes' is incorrect when there is already a Lake District airport but as a former useful airport this surely has its place.

Seems very short sighted but maybe RUK members will have more knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apologies that I couldn't grab the full quote due to Lancs Live's finicky mobile interface. Calling Blackpool a 'gateway to the lakes' is incorrect when there is already a Lake District airport but as a former useful airport this surely has its place.

Seems very short sighted but maybe RUK members will have more knowledge.
Not sure it's that useful. Manchester will always have better coverage (as well as Liverpool) and is well connected by train to the Lakes and Blackpool. TBH they should probably just flog it off for housing or a business park.

Howardh

Established Member
Pity. I was one of those stung by the £10 "facility fee" after using the airport for flights to the Isle of Man and Ibiza for several years. Manchester Airport is an overgrown shambles and Blackpool was a lovely alternative.

But it needs a lot of flights +expansion to be anything like profitable;and it simply won't happen.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The airport does, of course, remain open for general aviation, and is reasonably busy.

Nevertheless, in the current climate where almost every commercial airport in the country is losing money hand over fist, it would have been a bizarre, bordering negligent, decision to spend millions of council taxpayers’ money to accommodate air passenger traffic that simply isn’t there.

S&CLER

I was once told that the Ordnance Survey aerial photography plane was based at Blackpool as the most central airport in the British landmass and also one of the least prone to fog. Is this correct?

Billbo

Pure and simple point scoring exercise by newly elected Tory MP. If the airport wasnt viable before, it isn't going to be now.

Roose

As good a Gateway to the Lakes as Carlisle (and as many commercial flights nowadays). Bletchleyite correctly identifies Manchester as the true gateway airport with direct rail services to Ulverston, Grange, Oxenholme and Penrith, all around the edge of the National Park.

I found Blackpool very convenient to use for Ryanair, Jet2 and Manx2 flights and was happy to pay the departure charge as it included parking.