• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
They were there before Trackman just that they weren't being used since the end of the XC loco and HSTs through the town. I would imagine with the latest development on the guards that could potentially change.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They were there before Trackman just that they weren't being used since the end of the XC loco and HSTs through the town. I would imagine with the latest development on the guards that could potentially change.

Yes, they had the 'R' style ones mounted on the platform starter signals (in the boxes as can be seen under the red aspect on the signdl in post 5419).

I think the indicators mounted on the platform were purely 'OFF' indicators (which must be what now have 'RA')

LDECRexile

Established Member
ALX400 and Bill Morton have kindly sent photos for publication.

I went on my "Farewell to Semaphores" trip from Salford Crescent to Blackpool North and back today. I shed no tears, just farewell, faithful servant.

Good progress between Kearsley and Agecroft Road bridge, lots of new masts up. As mentioned, some will be visible from the M60, others should be from Dixon Fold footbridge and maybe Clifton station, it depends on the curvature. I feel a road jaunt coming on next week.

No sign of base work to serve Platform 2 at Salford Crescent.
Only one visible mast/base change between Kearsley and Lostock, ie formwork and rebar in place for large, flat bases among the bridges immediately north of Bolton station, I expect it to support a TTC.
Looks like some gaps filled between Lostock and Horwich.
No visible action on the foot crossings either side of the M60 or the one just south of the M61.
No visible action on bases on the viaduct south of Chorley.
No visible action on bases on Chorley tunnel approaches at either end, no idea if Chorley or Farnwoth tunnel has wire hangers installed.
Buckshaw Parkway joins the ranks of stations with a mast, a TTC has sprouted from the GCNewt pond.
Heath Charnock crossing/footbridge remains unsafe,
Overall, apart from gaps, Salford to Euxton looks danglier than Preston-Blackpool.

North of Preston lots of work has gone on at Kirkham and Wesham and Blackpool, see photos.
The landscape has changed at Salwick, as there is now a line of masts on one side, the platform itself remains unresurfaced.
Some extra masts up south of Poulton, most now in place Poulton to the edge of the Blackpool worksite.
I counted 24 masts in the Blackpool carriage sidings.
Formwork and rebar in place for large, flat bases on Tulketh viaduct, I expect them to support TTCs.
No visible work on the foot crossings between K&W and Blackpool, will they stay?
Overall, much higher proportion of masts up north of Preston than south of Euxton, but smaller proportion are dangloid.

I've added ALX400's photos to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157651121057352

and Bill Morton's photos to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157650900509369

I've put all our efforts into the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

I see that ALX400 has now contributed 301 photos, thank you.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I was up at Bolton last week and spotted this sign, which amused me as there are not even any pylons, let alone wires at Bolton yet.

The current approach to Salford station:

Please may I add these to the Combined Volume? If I way, will that apply to any future ones you post?

Hope so, thanks anyway, Dave.

snowball

Established Member
I think the sign about the Darwen branch has been in place for a while. I've previously seen a picture of it either on here or on Skyscrapercity.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/blackpools-railway-revolution-starts-tomorrow/

With one day to go, passengers are being reminded to plan their journeys as 19 weeks of work gets underway to help transform the railway between Blackpool and Preston.

• Nineteen weeks of work to upgrade Blackpool’s railway from 11 November
  • Buses replacing trains during railway closures
  • Network Rail, Northern and Virgin Trains working together to deliver the Great North Rail Project

Metal cladding now installed on Clifton Station road bridge on top of existing stone parapets:

Also some steelwork up just north of the station and some awaiting erection:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Metal cladding now installed on Clifton Station road bridge on top of existing stone parapets:

Also some steelwork up just north of the station and some awaiting erection:

As a reminder to regular visitors and a note to newcomers, 42426's fine photos of Clifton station and surrounds and Anderton Hall crossing can be accessed by clicking on the very first image in the Combined Volume, which is here:

then look down at the "Comments" where no fewer than ten albums have kindly been linked. 42426's work appears as " 04: Anderton Lane Crossing, near Blackrod" and "05: Clifton Station (Greater Manchester)"

Speaking of Anderton Hall crossing, I reckon there's a fighting chance that the new footbridge's uprights, if not the bridge itself, might be erected tomorrow (Sunday 12 November.) Can any of our contributors take a shufty? I can't, family commitments.

As a reminder to regular visitors and a note to newcomers, 42426's fine photos of Clifton station and surrounds and Anderton Hall crossing can be accessed by clicking on the very first image in the Combined Volume, which is here:

then look down at the "Comments" where no fewer than ten albums have kindly been linked. 42426's work appears as " 04: Anderton Lane Crossing, near Blackrod" and "05: Clifton Station (Greater Manchester)"

They are also in my signature below.

Speaking of Anderton Hall crossing, I reckon there's a fighting chance that the new footbridge's uprights, if not the bridge itself, might be erected tomorrow (Sunday 12 November.) Can any of our contributors take a shufty? I can't, family commitments.

I'll try and take a look tomorrow.

swanhill41

No mention here of the dramatic happenings on the Blackpool North to Preston line in particular BPN...One of the best collection of photos of the goings on is to be found on the Facebook ,namely the Preston Area Railway Group...Also very interesting listings of the number of engineer trains to the line from Crewe....I saw the work today that already had been done at BPN at the dramatic speed with which everything was happening..Signals gone by 15.00 hrs etc....Blackpool No 2 demolition date 15/11...Carleton Crossing already demolished!....Has to be quick as the crossing has only 2 day closure ,this weekend.

LDECRexile

Established Member
No mention here of the dramatic happenings on the Blackpool North to Preston line in particular BPN...One of the best collection of photos of the goings on is to be found on the Facebook ,namely the Preston Area Railway Group...Also very interesting listings of the number of engineer trains to the line from Crewe....I saw the work today that already had been done at BPN at the dramatic speed with which everything was happening..Signals gone by 15.00 hrs etc....Blackpool No 2 demolition date 15/11...Carleton Crossing already demolished!....Has to be quick as the crossing has only 2 day closure ,this weekend.

Could you please post a link to the Facebook collection?

We would be delighted to post the pictures you took today; as foretold here, action was likely to be very prompt. Please send me a conversation (I think that's what they are called now, it used to be Private Message) and I'll let you know how, or, even better, if you have your shots in a flickr album I can link it to the Combined Volume thereafter you have to do nowt extra at all.

LeylandLen

Given the number of freight STP workings , usually from 'Crewe Bas Hall S.S.M. ' (as per RTT ) to Preston Fylde Junction, then on to now closed line to Blackpool North for the work to be done, their obviously needs to be some control as to where the trains are,what they are doing and where they are 'parked' as the branch line is over 18 miles long.I see some tracks have already been lifted at BPN (logic says they are renewing from BPN to Fylde Junction). Who would control the trains ? Presumably their is some kind of temporary signaling allowing for single line working in places? Obviously some materials and plant will be moved by road.
Is any work being done on the branch to Blackpool South ?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance !

Ploughman

Established Member
Given the number of freight STP workings , usually from 'Crewe Bas Hall S.S.M. ' (as per RTT ) to Preston Fylde Junction, then on to now closed line to Blackpool North for the work to be done, their obviously needs to be some control as to where the trains are,what they are doing and where they are 'parked' as the branch line is over 18 miles long.I see some tracks have already been lifted at BPN (logic says they are renewing from BPN to Fylde Junction). Who would control the trains ? Presumably their is some kind of temporary signaling allowing for single line working in places? Obviously some materials and plant will be moved by road.
Is any work being done on the branch to Blackpool South ?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance !

If the line is under a T3 possession then no signalling will be needed.
All movements within the possession limits but outside the individual worksites will be under the control of a PICOP.
All movements within the possession limits but inside the individual worksites will be under the control of an Engineering Supervisor.
One train move at a time is what I would expect under the PICOP.

LDECRexile

Established Member

LDECRexile

Established Member
As hoped I went on a road tour from Cock Robin Bridge to Ladybridge today.

I am encouraged by what I saw, lots of masts have gone up between Agecroft Road Bridge and Kearsley.

ALX400 has sent a batch of shots from Anderton Hall, the footbridge was installed as hoped over the weekend. The approach paths need doing before it can open, but it's up there as proud as a peacock.

Photos this evening.

John Boy

Had another trip into Manchester from Bolton,

Signs of good progress being made,

Black top finished on Platform 4 at Bolton,

More masts and bases are in on the west-ish side of the track, but I didn't count them.

Counted circa 110 masts on my return looking east-ish between Salford crescent and Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.