• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelleIsle

I have been informed by a good source that as part of GBRf's 'Out of the Ordinary' charity railtour this year an electric locomotive(s) will be visiting Blackpool North in September. It is likely to be a pair of 86s. However, the official website contradicts this with the closest approach being Preston. Does anyone know which is correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
I have been informed by a good source that as part of GBRf's 'Out of the Ordinary' charity railtour this year an electric locomotive(s) will be visiting Blackpool North in September. It is likely to be a pair of 86s. However, the official website contradicts this with the closest approach being Preston. Does anyone know which is correct?
The tour details read that, on the overnight leg, a Class 92 will haul the train up the WCML up to Preston and then into Blackpool North in the dead of night.
Two Class 73/1s will then haul it back to Preston, and the 92 then leads it again, now continuing north to Scotland.

TBSchenker

First trip via Bolton since early December. Nice to see progress around the Flying Arches & Chorley Tunnel.

Sad to say the signage for the Neutral Section at Euxton Jn is STILL wrong. Sign displayed is that for a neutral section warning (white lines on black background), not a site board (black lines on white background). First spotted incorrect last summer.

TBSchenker

The one with the green bridge in the background, and the one with the TTCs are between Horwich and Lostock, the wiring train being on the Up Bolton.

The one from above I think is taken from Lostock Lane looking towards Lostock (Up Bolton line on the left)

ALX400

We’ve got wires :lol::lol:

Just been down to Lostock Lane Bridge and wires are up from as far back towards Lostock Station, they stop short Just past the work site access point, The wiring train has certainly been busy I’m guessing it’ll be back at weekend, the areas ready look to be between the stations so looking at it finishing this current run short of Horwich then next run may stop short at Blackrod then the next from North Blackrod stopping short of Adlington and so on to Chorley the masts are certainly ready for it.

Photos I’ve too sent to Dave :D

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks like the first catenary/contact wire between the two ends of the route (short stretches of earth/AT wires were up already).
I'd guess the wiring train is part of what was the Windhoff WCRM rewiring train.

Elecman

Established Member
It looks like one of Network Rails OCR units, if so it looks like OCR are actually running out thevwiring which is good news

ALX400

It looks like one of Network Rails OCR units, if so it looks like OCR are actually running out thevwiring which is good news

The wiring train numbers were DR98009 DR98012 and DR98014 passed through Leyland at 23.20 returning to Crewe :)

LDECRexile

Established Member
I was out and about yesterday and took a couple of snaps at Poulton, I'll be very happy when the line reopens again getting the RRB to Preston just takes an age.

Please may I add these photos to the Combined Volume?

Have you any other recent shots?

Best wishes

Dave

Codville

Please may I add these photos to the Combined Volume?

Have you any other recent shots?

Best wishes

Dave
You may and unfortunately I don't have any other pictures, I'll be popping back to Poulton on Friday so I might be able to get a few more shots.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks to ALX400 and Codville. I'll add their shots this evening.

I've had an update on the Poulton signalbox demolition: Monday and Tuesday next, 19th & 20th Feb are now scheduled for manual demolition inside, removing small parts. Machine demolition of the building is scheduled for Weds 21st Feb, starting at 07:00.

wrinkley

In the light of info gleaned in the last couple of days here's an updated Salford-Euxton Jct worry list:

11. Stalactites in Bullfield Tunnel?
12. Missing base(s) between Bullfield Tunnel and Newport Street, Bolton?
13. Big electric kit at Lostock Junction Latest intelligence says work will get cracking in March 2018
14. Incomplete footbridge Anderton Hall Lane Bridge complete but not signed off by NR, therefore not yet open.
15. Red Moss foot crossing between Horwich and M61 Work has started on a replacement footbridge
16. Missing bases on Yarrow viaduct south of Chorley? Work has started on fixings ("bases") on the outside of the structure
17. Stalactites in Chorley Tunnel?
18. Major problem base south of Lever Street footbridge? (new, additional item.)

Stalactites spotted just inside Bullfield tunnel (Moor Lane) at both ends on the up line, could not see the down line from the train.

Last edited:

reg

Bolton - new masts in place next to platform 5 track either side of Orlando St. bridge.Will send pics.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks to Wrinkley for spotting Bullfield tunnel stalactites. Here's the worry list updated accordingly:

1. Missing bases Salford Crescent Platform 2
2. Missing bases Pendleton Old to Cockrobin Bridge
3. Missing bases North of Agecroft Road bridge
4. Structure to be installed between Agecroft Road bridge and Clifton station? Work has started on this next to Bridge MVE1/16 off Lumns Lane.
5. Power lines oversailing between M60 and Kearsley?
6. Foot crossings either side of M60 Work has started on diverting the footpaths to meet at a new footbridge on which work has also started, steelwork expected to be lowered on by rail crane April 2018.
7. Sorted
8. Missing bases Farnworth station to Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge
9. Lever Street footbridge, demolish, replace, leave as is? New electric wires warning signs suggest the bridge is expected to survive past electrification.
10. Missing base Bolton Platform 5
11. Stalactites in Bullfield Tunnel? Reported as visible at both ends, can anyone confirm the middle?
12. Missing base(s) between Bullfield Tunnel and Newport Street, Bolton?
13. Big electric kit at Lostock Junction Latest intelligence says work will get cracking in March 2018
14. Incomplete footbridge Anderton Hall Lane Bridge complete but not signed off by NR, therefore not yet open.
15. Red Moss foot crossing between Horwich and M61 Work has started on a replacement footbridge
16. Missing bases on Yarrow viaduct south of Chorley? Work has started on fixings ("bases") on the outside of the structure
17. Stalactites in Chorley Tunnel?
18. Major problem base south of Lever Street footbridge?

LDECRexile

Established Member
NB: I recommend readers keep an eye on the albums linked to the Combined Volume, in particular the newest one concerning Blackpool, which includes photos showing masts at North station!

To access them, go into the Combined Volume, click on the very first photo then look down the Comments, clicking on the links as you see fit.

Grumpy

Looking at the photos of the new platforms at Blackpool North (for which thanks to the photographers), makes me wonder what the fuss was at Low Moor where the new station was delayed by ORR dislike for platforms on curves. The new platforms at Blackpool seem much curvier.

snowball

Established Member
Looking at the photos of the new platforms at Blackpool North (for which thanks to the photographers), makes me wonder what the fuss was at Low Moor where the new station was delayed by ORR dislike for platforms on curves. The new platforms at Blackpool seem much curvier.
I don't know how curvy they are compared with other sites such as Low Moor, but they're straighter than they were before. Presumably this is made possible by the reduction from 8 to 6.

LDECRexile

Established Member
The appearance of the sharpness of the platform curves is greatly exaggerated by the use of zoom.

Zoom has this effect on all curves, so crests can appear mountainous and sidings can appear to veer off like on my old Hornby O gauge train set.

Status
Not open for further replies.