• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
It's an Earth Bar (or TV aerial as they were dubbed on WCRM).

The idea is that if the ATF wire parts, it falls onto it and drops the breakers before it hits the S&T cabinet in-span. In west coast days it was due to doubts (correctly so it turns out) as to the earthing integrity of the S&T equipment. They *should* only be needed on spans where location cases are in the fall zone of the ATF.

With a S&T setup that can be proved to be properly bonded they shouldn't be needed.

The "spikes" are supposed to stop birds roosting and causing nuisance trippings, and there's also a school of thought that says they can "catch" the wire as well, which is why a crosby clip is allocated to be fitted on the ATF wire, to snag on the spikes.

In reality, having seen what happens when a wire break happens, I suspect the wire will actually go along-track rather more rapidly than it falls, and completely miss the earth bar.

The one in the photo is the wrong way up, probably to aid installing the AF wire on the insulators without getting spiked in the process.

Thanks, I was half-way there!
there is a 3 mile stretch of them north of Stafford, on every mast, I wonder what that is all about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
One of the issues with Manchester-Preston is that it will start with an intensive electric service (TPE 350s plus multiple Northern 319s).
No line in the north west has yet had a high frequency of service on Day 1.
Chat Moss Phase 1 was only 1tph 350 (plus the odd Virgin 390) for over a year.
Chat Moss Phase 2 and Wigan was a trickle at first as it took Northern ages to bring 319s in on Liverpool routes.
Victoria has only ever had 1tph since its late start.
Blackpool is only getting 1-2tph at the moment.
So a lot of 319 training will be needed up front, on currently wired routes.

snowball

Established Member
My recollection (which may be mistaken) is that NW electrification phases 1 (end 2013) and 2 (early 2015) each went in a very short time from the infrastructure being incomplete to services running, with no mention at the time of any delays for ORR to approve the infrastructure. So I've been a bit surprised by recent discussion of such delays in the threads about other electrification schemes.

59CosG95

Established Member
Thanks, I was half-way there!
there is a 3 mile stretch of them north of Stafford, on every mast, I wonder what that is all about.
With Stafford, I believe that's part of the WCML Power Supply Upgrade (North Wembley to Whitmore at the southern end; Weaver Jct to Great Strickland at the northern end). The southern half is still ongoing IIRC (it's certainly done as far south as Rugby), but the northern half (Weaver Jct to Gt. Strickland) was completed over December 2017.
Whitmore to Weaver Jct, and Great Strickland to Carstairs are "no longer required" in the interim.

TBSchenker

I still think we are going to see a several-week blockade to make sure the line is ready for December.

In this current climate another overrun is not going to be acceptable, and to be quite honest the level of progress after each full weekend block is very frustrating.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I still think we are going to see a several-week blockade to make sure the line is ready for December.
In this current climate another overrun is not going to be acceptable, and to be quite honest the level of progress after each full weekend block is very frustrating.

At the TSC hearing yesterday, the NR LNW MD said the choice in January was a 5 week total shutdown or a long period of weekends - the TOCs chose the latter.
Somehow I doubt if NR had been given 5 weeks they would have finished in that time - too much work, too complex to squash into a short sharp time.
I think it will be real trouble if a final blockade is needed.
As I understand it there's no signalling or track work to do, and that is the usual reason for a blockade.
Wiring they can do at night/weekends.

Nean

At the TSC hearing yesterday, the NR LNW MD said the choice in January was a 5 week total shutdown or a long period of weekends - the TOCs chose the latter.
Somehow I doubt if NR had been given 5 weeks they would have finished in that time - too much work, too complex to squash into a short sharp time.
I think it will be real trouble if a final blockade is needed.
As I understand it there's no signalling or track work to do, and that is the usual reason for a blockade.
Wiring they can do at night/weekends.

Also imagine the PR disaster of a 5 week blockade amongst all the other things going on... Weekends you can at least slip under the radar!

LDECRexile

Established Member

LDECRexile

Established Member

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

There's "several weeks" and there's "several weeks", several being a somewhat vague descriptor. An issue hardly considered, or so it seems, is to what extent the sheer length of the Preston-Blackpool blockade created problems with knowledge retention, especially as services were being curtailed even in advance of the blockade proper. I wonder if one conclusion that might come from the various inquiries shortly to take place is that complete blockages should be limited to a particular length and that the experience of Preston-Blackpool is that it was too long, at least as a continuous event. There are no easy answers when a major upgrade is required as part of an electrification scheme but we surely cannot pretend that the current preferred method is actually the best.

Mollman

Established Member
One of the issues with Manchester-Preston is that it will start with an intensive electric service (TPE 350s plus multiple Northern 319s).
Chat Moss Phase 2 and Wigan was a trickle at first as it took Northern ages to bring 319s in on Liverpool routes.

I'd guess that there will be a gradual transfer over to EMUs. Northern should be able to convert the Manchester - Preston / Blackpool services over quite quickly although it depends how some of the diagrams inter-work with other routes. TPE won't start till December timetable change which is a month after Northern services although they will be route learning before that. I think Bromsgrove is going to start as 3 per hour from day 1.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks like portals are going up in the Chorley Arches cutting.
I think there is some registration gear on the brackets within the arches stretch.
Has anyone seen anything fixed on the pigeon spike thingys on the cutting walls either side of the tunnel?
It's just possible the portal in the twitter photo is one of those, but you can't see the base.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Looks like portals are going up in the Chorley Arches cutting.
I think there is some registration gear on the brackets within the arches stretch.
Has anyone seen anything fixed on the pigeon spike thingys on the cutting walls either side of the tunnel?
It's just possible the portal in the twitter photo is one of those, but you can't see the base.

I reckon the portal in the foreground in the Twitter photo is being plonked on top of masts which are standing on one of the pairs of bases which have been attached to the top of the retaining walls for a while, eg here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/40612211125

If you look at the left hand mast in the foreground of the Twitter shot its foot is behind the yellow vehicle cab which in turn obscures part of one such base, but part of it is visible.

If you look at the portal in the distance in the Twitter shot it appears to be mounted on another pair of the top-of-wall-bases (aka pigeon spike thingys).

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
They say that they put up the first overhead line structures there last week?
I know but to regular followes of this thread that is old news - see for example 59CosG95 GsOp V2 from Monday 26.

QUOTE[ Chorley (North End) - Buckshaw Pkwy (South End); 22m 20ch to 24m 39ch
Many bases, some masts, 1 or 2 wires. Roof brackets affixed in Chorley Tunnel (23m 20ch to 23m 25ch), and at least 6 dangly bits/SPS are up in the Flying Arches cutting. All bases on top of the retaining wall at the northern end now have portal booms affixed. ] QUOTE

Jamesrob637

Established Member
For what it's worth; the Bolton corridor appears to be bustituted each weekend continuing to end Jul. Weekend of 4/5th Aug apparently is being run with trains. There's novel; put the flags out...
RTT now has bustitiuton until 18th August, so another two weekends further.

DJH1971

Established Member

Seems to have gone quiet with the 323 training.

reg

Bolton-a second portal has been put in place in the Bullfields area north west of Moor lane tunnel.This completes the run of masts from Moor Lane through to Mayor St bridge.
-a mast has been fitted to the new base just before Moor Lane tunnel.
-more generally, the existing masts in the station area are gradually being adorned with fixtures and fittings on a nightly basis.
-will forward a couple of pictures later.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
Great to hear the progress at Bolton. On a related note does anyone know why platform 5 has been clipped out of use?

Also I guess the rumour that the A6 bridge at the Crescent was too low for wires is another one to add to the debunked pile.

reg

Great to hear the progress at Bolton. On a related note does anyone know why platform 5 has been clipped out of use?

Also I guess the rumour that the A6 bridge at the Crescent was too low for wires is another one to add to the debunked pile.

The main worksite adjacent to Platform 5 has been removed and presently is occupied with masts ,booms and assorted fixtures for masts, as well as various bits of plant and machinery.May explain the no-go markers seen recently.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Bolton-a second portal has been put in place in the Bullfields area north west of Moor lane tunnel.This completes the run of masts from Moor Lane through to Mayor St bridge.
-a mast has been fitted to the new base just before Moor Lane tunnel.
-more generally, the existing masts in the station area are gradually being adorned with fixtures and fittings on a nightly basis.
-will forward a couple of pictures later.

I've added Reg's photos to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157671732263863

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

I particularly like the word "completes".

Thank you Reg.

Buck Shaw

No pictures I am afraid as I was driving but spotted two teams of Orangemen just north of Horwich Parkway at 15.30 yesterday.

One group doing something with a mast /base on the Up line and the second on a scissor platform tinkering with wires a bit closer to the M61 bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.