• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SodTheDrummer

Not sure if it's the same stretch, but saw catenary and contact wire whilst passing through Salford crescent today
Doh! Ignore me, just noticed posts above!

Edit. Will they leave wiring Salford central and wherever the other end is until the end as they are at the live ends so to speak?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I toured "our" line by rail today.

1. I agree with others' reports of catenary and contact (C&C) wiring from north of Lostock to north of the M61. They make for fine views from Horwich Parkway - full wires stretch in both directions as far as the eye can see. Smashing.
2. Quite a bit more earth wire up since last week, notably through Blackrod. A large majority of the route now has at least one wire up.
3. The exciting C&C wire in Salford reported by others extends from a point west of Salford Central almost to Windsor Bridge South Junction on the Down (northbound) side and from more or less the same start point almost to Frederick Road bridge north of Salford Crescent on the Up (southbound) side. Only the easternmost ("goods") line through Salford Crescent has C&C wires so far. There are no wires up at Salford Central.
4. I've seen an estimate of 50 missing masts somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where); I think this is an overestimate, the only ones I could see missing were Yarrow Viaduct (3), east of Dean Clough (2) the portal near Newport St bridge (2). the wicketkeeper at Platform 2 at Bolton (1). Let's assume I'm out by a factor of three, that makes 24 to go.

Very encouraging.

Photos later.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I toured "our" line by rail today.

4. I've seen an estimate of 50 missing masts somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where); I think this is an overestimate, the only ones I could see missing were Yarrow Viaduct (3), east of Dean Clough (2) the portal near Newport St bridge (2). the wicketkeeper at Platform 2 at Bolton (1). Very encouraging.

59CosG95 in his GSoP update

snowball

Established Member
There were 117 masts left to do on 26 June according to the press release in #7761. If anyone knows of a more recent official figure, please yell.

If it's now down to 24 or fewer, that means at least 93 have been done in 23 days, so the remaining ones might perhaps only take a week or so, unless there's concrete still setting or other special difficulties (I suppose the Yarrow viaduct might fall in that category).

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
There were 117 masts left to do on 26 June according to the press release in #7761. If anyone knows of a more recent official figure, please yell.

If it's now down to 24 or fewer, that means at least 93 have been done in 23 days, so the remaining ones might perhaps only take a week or so, unless there's concrete still setting or other special difficulties (I suppose the Yarrow viaduct might fall in that category).

93/23 = 4 so about 4 per night and we have weekend possessions so that sounds reasonable.

snowball

Established Member
So I know we need Salford Central doing to get to Man Vic but quite a few services could convert to electric even if that bit was left to the very last.
Is there another bit also being left to last, between Windsor Bridge South and Ordsall Lane?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
So I know we need Salford Central doing to get to Man Vic but quite a few services could convert to electric even if that bit was left to the very last.
Could be won't. Northern have already said they won't be running an electric service until next year. That is what is going to happen irrespective of whether you think it is a ploy to get good PR when they run one earlier.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Is there another bit also being left to last, between Windsor Bridge South and Ordsall Lane?
Can not be otherwise you have no joined up railway that is electrified. Either via Salford Central is left to last or Windsor Bridge South to Ordsall Lane - one or the other - definitely not both does not make sense.

TBSchenker

Can not be otherwise you have no joined up railway that is electrified. Either via Salford Central is left to last or Windsor Bridge South to Ordsall Lane - one or the other - definitely not both does not make sense.

I’m guessing both connections to the 25kV AC Network will be done simultaneously to avoid too many isolations of the Ordsall Lane area.

TBSchenker

More progress! Wires now through to Blackrod, terminating (as of Thursday evening) just shy of Blackrod Junction.

Unable to check what has been done overnight until this evening.

One thing is clear the Catenary and Contact Wire isn’t tensioned yet, droppers are out of alignment and registration arms not all in their final position.

8E8116F2-F602-46E6-9705-DA18F02EE03C.jpeg 3F0837ED-EF6C-494B-867B-FF7D10E94EE1.jpeg

jonesy3001

Established Member
Bit of a long shot but has soon has the wires are up do you think salford central will be revamped to include the rebuilt platforms or is that another cancelled project.

thealexweb

Bit of a long shot but has soon has the wires are up do you think salford central will be revamped to include the rebuilt platforms or is that another cancelled project.

Some work will have to done prior 2020. No way in hell that platform gap is disabled friendly in its current form.

LM93

Not until CP6 has started at least, even then it could be a year or two even after that!

snowball

Established Member
They could both be left until after everything else, which was my point. Also as others have pointed out they could both be done during the same closure.

The two routes at the Salford end are both so short relative to the overall scheme that I think it's highly unlikely that one woud be brought into service while the other was unfinished.

snowball

Established Member
As I understand it, TfGM got money for it from the DfT but Network Rail spent the money on something else, or spent all the money on only part of the project. So new funding is needed.

Edit: I was assuming you were asking about (re)opening the extra platforms but maybe you were asking about raising the platforms on the Bolton lines?

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
They could both be left until after everything else, which was my point. Also as others have pointed out they could both be done during the same closure.

The two routes at the Salford end are both so short relative to the overall scheme that I think it's highly unlikely that one woud be brought into service while the other was unfinished.

Agreed and as has been suggested above both at the same time over August Bank Holiday possession. My apologies for misunderstanding you.

Geeves

Established Member
It's all coming along more quickly now just like we saw with the Liverpool works :).

In regards to Salford Central, there was 20 million allocated for the full station including the additional platforms. The first problems arose when it was found out the trains TPE had ordered are now too long to fit in the new platforms. The second problem was that to extend the platforms would require NR to move some recently installed equipment. Now that 20m only covers p1 and 2 an another 20m is required... Still.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I took a tour from Preston to Manchester today, apart from the Yarrow viaduct I couldn't see any missing masts. I wasn't sure of any structures which would need masts attaching but I certainly didn't see a single base without a mast on the right hand side.

Great to see all the progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.