• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muenchener

The wiring train had a path from Euxton to Preston at about half 5 this morning (I watched it go past the Leyland Railcam) so hopefully they're progressing well with point 25 above.
Wiring train passed straight thru about 10 mins down this morning. As seen from bedroom window... :D
Has been going back to Crewe around 04:10 and held at signal protecting Eux Jct but not today.
Most of work North of BSV to Eux Jct and WCML is already complete but good to see many other locations now catching up fast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Press release on the upcoming nine-day closure. Sadly no details on how many masts are left to go up.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...lton-preston-railway-planned-for-late-august/

Passengers are being reminded of changes to services between Manchester and Preston via Bolton as Network Rail works to complete the upgrade of the railway.

As part of the Great North Rail project, there will be a nine-day closure of the railway, from 25 August until Sunday 2 September, when buses will replace trains.

Engineers will also continue mid-week overnight working and weekend working until Sunday 4 November.

The upgrade will provide passengers with better, more reliable electric services as part of a multi-billion pound investment across the North of England.

Martin Frobisher, managing director for Network Rail’s London and North Western route, said: “Our Manchester-Preston upgrade is part of the Great North Rail Project, the rail industry’s plan to transform train travel for customers across the North through track and train improvements.

“This short-term disruption is necessary to complete these vital upgrades and it’s important to remember the long-term improvements which will be delivered. In future electric-powered, greener, faster, more frequent, more spacious, more reliable trains will become the norm through the Bolton corridor.”

The Manchester-Bolton-Preston upgrade covers over 25 miles of track and infrastructure upgrades. It has involved the widening and rebuilding of Farnworth Tunnel, remodelling of tracks and platforms through Chorley and Bolton stations, the renewal of 13,883m of track, replacement of 93 signals, and the laying of 236,000m of cables.

Passengers are advised to check before they travel on www.nationalrail.co.uk or with their train operator for the latest information.

Also some pictures on the Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/TheGNRP/status/1026824870573879296

https://twitter.com/networkrail/status/1026528389535068161

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Presumably all the wire runs are different lengths? Any guesses as to what proportion of the route is now wired (excluding historic wiring)?

InOban

Established Member
A nine-day blockade implies that there is some particular piece of work which can't be carried out during shorter possessions. Any idea what that might be?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
A nine-day blockade implies that there is some particular piece of work which can't be carried out during shorter possessions. Any idea what that might be?
Well going south from Salford Crescent - all that has to be tied in electrically both the Windsor link and then via Salford Central also the TS Cabinet at Lostock though that should be easier.

Also - only my personal opinion, but they may be under promising so they can over deliver if you follow my drift?

PN27

Presumably all the wire runs are different lengths? Any guesses as to what proportion of the route is now wired (excluding historic wiring)?

From measuring on Google, standard wire runs are typically between 1,000 and 1,500 metres in length.

C+C wire is up on 10 out of 25 route miles, approximately. There's also quarter of a mile through Salford Crescent, where some lines are wired but others aren't. However, there are some sections where C+C wires are present but not feeder and earth wires, and vice-versa. Most, if not all, C+C runs installed in the last month need follow-up visits, as there are some temporary fixings in use at some masts, and places where the wires aren't aligned properly.

reg

There has been a large amount of ballast of different grades deposited at Bolton station worksite, together with drainage material (pipework, plant etc).Only a guess but platform 5 track does not appear to have any drainage installed at present, may explain the blockade.Picture forwarded.

Elecman

Established Member
Well going south from Salford Crescent - all that has to be tied in electrically both the Windsor link and then via Salford Central also the TS Cabinet at Lostock though that should be easier.

Also - only my personal opinion, but they may be under promising so they can over deliver if you follow my drift?

And don’t forget the 2other TSS’s at Clifton and Blackrod

LDECRexile

Established Member
New wires went up last night near my house between Chorley Station & Yarrow viaduct:
View media item 3169

Welcome and thank you.

Please may I add your photo to the album I manage which we refer to as the Combined Volume?

No money ever changes hands in either direction, but you retain copyright of everything used.

If you say "yes" please indicate whether I may use future contributions without having to ask you each time.

TBSchenker

Noticed an isolated run of Catenary and Contact wire between Agecroft and Clifton, roughly adjacent to the large slag heap, just noticed on the Down Bolton. The wires terminated and then restarted at Agecroft.

LDECRexile

Established Member
View attachment 50772 Contact and catenary on both up and down through Chorley station

Welcome and thank you.

Please may I add your photo to the album I manage which we refer to as the Combined Volume?

No money ever changes hands in either direction, but you retain copyright of everything used.

If you say "yes" please indicate whether I may use future contributions without having to ask you each time.

Wtloild

Excellent news! Do you know if the wires on the Up line (i.e. southbound) run as far north as Stump Lane, replicating the run on the Down line the other night?
Yes, they appeared to when I drove past the McDonalds this evening.

Wtloild

Welcome and thank you.

Yes & yes.

Norb

Welcome and thank you.

Yes that's fine, and you have my permission for the future also

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've created a flickr album for Norb and added his heartening debut shot to it, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157672110683978

I've also added it to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Thank you Norb.

It is great to see catenary and contact wires up here there and everywhere, but as a layman putting C&C up before Autotransformer wires seems like putting your jacket and coat on before your tie. Isn't it a palaver to work round C&C wires?

TBSchenker

Buckshaw Parkway:

Wiring train on the down platform no activity.

Up platform wired. Can't see how far it stretches either way.

Just to confirm the Down line has no Contact or Catenary at all through Buckshaw Parkway station.

td97

Established Member
Not currently in the public domain, but it should be picked up on this thread when the work starts.

InOban

Established Member
The piles of ballast etc at Bolton suggests exactly the sort of work which can only be carried out efficiently in a blockade. On the other hand steelwork and wiring runs are easily done overnight and at weekends, since they affect neither the track nor the signalling.

TBSchenker

Someone did mention many many months ago that the reason the linespeed increase associated with the signalling changes never materialised was the PWay, hence the blanket 75mph TSR from Bolton to Chorley, instead of upto 100mph for MU specific trains.

There is a lot of rail that has been dropped so maybe there’s a pretty decent amount of new track that needs to be laid. Hopefully when it opens as an electrified Railway the linespeed will be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.