• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBSchenker

An update from today’s trip.

Both up and down lines from Agecroft North Jn (exclusive) to the point mentioned above adjacent to the prison/ slag heap (on the downside) wired.

Down Bolton wired from Farnworth station, through Moses Gate station and terminating probably what was halfway along the former Burnden Passenger loops (next to the large Mill on the downside).

Wires on the Up and Down Bolton from just before Buckshaw Parkway Jn all the way to the existing wires for the Neutral section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TBSchenker

Yes, one just before the WCML at Euxton Jn

STILL with an incorrect site board for drivers (black background with white lines. Should be white background with black lines).

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks for the update, where are the 5 missing masts? I count one in Bolton, one just north of Bolton and one on the Yarrow viaduct.

Hmmm.... I can't make five either.

1. Bolton Platform 2 wicketkeeper
2. Salford Central off the end of the westbound platform
3. Yarrow Viaduct

4? I don't know which you mean "just north of Bolton" can you describe it or refer to a photo?

5? The one lying next to the track at Lostock which neither Wrinkley nor I know where it is to go. It may be needed at the Wigan end of the Bolton-bound overlap on the Wigan line, though I can't see a bare base there and all bases have been reported by NR as in place.

Can anyone tie 'em down?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
4? I don't know which you mean "just north of Bolton" can you describe it or refer to a photo?
I don't know either, I was just going off the GSoP from 59CosG95, clearly I misread it somehow. Perhaps I read the Bolton one twice!

Great to see all the progress, I'm taking a trip along the line on Wednesday and then again in nearly a months time, so hopefully will be able to see it nearly complete!

59CosG95

Established Member
I don't know either, I was just going off the GSoP from 59CosG95, clearly I misread it somehow. Perhaps I read the Bolton one twice!

Great to see all the progress, I'm taking a trip along the line on Wednesday and then again in nearly a months time, so hopefully will be able to see it nearly complete!
I must confess, I've probably befuddled the thread with the "at least 5" part - it was a very uneducated guess! I've edited it to "less than 5", and mentioned the base off the west end of Salford Central too; this is now post 15.1.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I did a railtour Salford Central to Buckshaw Parkway and return today.

Heartening progress overhead.

Both lines have contact and catenary (C&C) wires up through Buckshaw Parkway to a point several hundred yards south of the crossover south of the station, which also has C&C up.

No wires visible through Chorley arches, but earth wires and/or AT wires though the tunnel and southern approach cutting.

C&C resume over both tracks just south of the Chor aquaduct and continue south to just north of Yarrow viaduct.

The more northerly mast on the viaduct is still missing.

C&C resume a few hundred yards south of the viaduct (just north of the former Gillets crossing) and continue to the golf course footbridge a few hundred yards north of Lostock station. This is a very encouraging long stretch. AT wires not always present, but C&C appear continuous.

No wires through Lostock station, but earth and in some cases AT wires south of the station to Mayor Street then south of there to Moor Lane/Bullfield tunnel.

No wires through the tunnel or the succession of bridges up to and including Newport St bridge. The mystery missing mast I that area is in the narrow gap between the first and second stone bridges west of Newport St bridge. I thought that mast had been up for a couple of weeks (see Photo A732m) but either 1. I had got the location wrong or 2. it was up but has been taken down pending erecting lighter-looking steelwork (see photos).

I could see no changes from Newport St bridge to a few hundred yards north of Green Lane bridge, where C&C resume in earnest. I reckon they run continuously over the Down (northbound) track from there to well south of Kearsley station, including under the pair of National Grid wires which cross the tracks near the site of the one-time Kearsley power station. This gives me some comfort that the oversail problem there is resolved or never existed.

C&C resume a few hundred yards south of Clifton station and run as far as Agecroft North Junction, then resume about Agecroft South Junction and continue almost to Salford Central, except Salford Crescent Platform 1 track is wireless. These last stretches lay the ghosts of difficult areas between Moses Gate and Farnworth and Agecroft through Pendleton Old to Windsor Bridge North Junction.

I realise some of this repeats what others have written.

There are two masts, with what look like TTC arms lying on the north side of the tracks just south of Lostock station. I can't see where they are for, maybe they are no longer needed. I couldn't see any bare bases around there or on the Wigan line.

The mastless base count stands at:

1. Yarrow viaduct
2. Between the "Morrisons bridges" NW of Bolton station
3. Wicketkeeper off the end of Bolton Platform 2
4. Off the Bolton end of the Bolton platform at Salford Central.

?5&6 two masts lying beside the track at Lostock
?7 one mast lying between the tracks between the "Morrisons bridges" NW of Bolton station.

A few photos added to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

PS: trains were shown as heading for Bolton Platforms 4 and 5 again, but in the event people were moved by tannoy from 5 to 4.

PPS: I missed whether the crossover north of Blackrod station is wired.

Last edited:

TBSchenker

One issue I noticed is there is a pipe passing over the lines at Agecroft. It is encased in a metal cage and is very, very close to where the Catenary wires would pass under.

This has surprised me as we all know with 25kV the electric can jump, and this pipe seems lower down than some of the bridges that have been rebuilt.

PN27

C&C resume over both tracks just south of the Chor aquaduct and continue south to just north of Yarrow viaduct.

Can you confirm that the Up line is wired from the Chor aqueduct to Stump Lane? It wasn't on Wednesday (see picture).

C&C resume a few hundred yards south of the viaduct (just north of the former Gillets crossing) and continue to the golf course footbridge a few hundred yards north of Lostock station. This is a very encouraging long stretch. AT wires not always present, but C&C appear continuous.

C&C is continuous (missing run between Rawlinson Lane and Bradshaw Fields installed Monday and Tuesday night), some earth wire and a fair bit of Feeder wire missing.

PPS: I missed whether the crossover north of Blackrod station is wired.

It is.

Some photos attached: Two taken yesterday from the footbridge just north of Stump Lane (next to the gas holders, I think the street is called Brock Rd), and three at Bradshaw Fields, taken today. At Bradshaw Fields, the both ATF cables and the Up earth wire are missing.

Attachments

• Bradshaw Fields bridge.JPG
    Bradshaw Fields bridge.JPG
    884.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Bradshaw Fields Northbound.JPG
    Bradshaw Fields Northbound.JPG
    892.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Bradshaw Fields Southbound.JPG
    Bradshaw Fields Southbound.JPG
    829.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Brock Rd Northbound.JPG
    Brock Rd Northbound.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 41
  • Brock Rd Southbound.JPG
    Brock Rd Southbound.JPG
    872.2 KB · Views: 41

LDECRexile

Established Member
Can you confirm that the Up line is wired from the Chor aqueduct to Stump Lane? It wasn't on Wednesday (see picture).

C&C is continuous (missing run between Rawlinson Lane and Bradshaw Fields installed Monday and Tuesday night), some earth wire and a fair bit of Feeder wire missing.

It is.

Some photos attached: Two taken yesterday from the footbridge just north of Stump Lane (next to the gas holders, I think the street is called Brock Rd), and three at Bradshaw Fields, taken today. At Bradshaw Fields, the both ATF cables and the Up earth wire are missing.

I'm open to correction on anything, but I reckon both Up and Down have C&C as far as the aqueduct. I only took out-of-window shots of the Bolton mastless base area.

It seems to me as a layman that putting C&C up before AT is like putting your jacket and coat on before your tie, but I ain't complainin'. There's quite a lot of it about, eg south of Bolton.

Thanks for clarification on the Blackrod crossover.

Fab photos, will wang on the Combined Volume in the morning.

LDECRexile

Established Member
One issue I noticed is there is a pipe passing over the lines at Agecroft. It is encased in a metal cage and is very, very close to where the Catenary wires would pass under.

This has surprised me as we all know with 25kV the electric can jump, and this pipe seems lower down than some of the bridges that have been rebuilt.

Is it in a neutral section?

LDECRexile

Established Member
Bolton- a new wall mast has appeared Lostock side of Morrisons bridge.Pics to follow.

I've added these photos to Reg's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157671732263863

Thank you Reg. I wonder if the demolished mast (see yesterday's photos for from-train closeups) is over and done with or to be reinstated with different steelwork.

I forgot to include a shot I took on Bolton station yesterday, I've added it as A840g, together with Reg's shots, to the Combined Volume (CV) here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

There are now 5960 photos and 40 videos in the CV, plus 3051 images in its 1947-2015 predecessor, which is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157648767927083

1. I wonder if we'll reach 10,000 before it's finally done and dusted.
2. Even if it doesn't it constitutes a database of images rather than a usable history. Does anyone fancy selecting from it to tell the story?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
A848M - is it an optical conclusion (deliberate !) or does that AT wire look awfully close to being another Grahams Grab?

1. I reckon it's an earth wire.
2. Whatever it is, it is track side of the mast which is separated from the bridge so it must be a reasonable distance.
3. The bridge looks like a standard product with high parapets and high stair walls.
4. The backs of the tops of the masts, where things might be sparky, have mesh protectors.

All that said, I know nowt.

deltic08

On Moderation
I just had another look - yes you are correct. Sorry my bad as the Yanks would say.
We are not interested in the bastardisation of the English language by the Yanks. It makes no sense anyway. My bad what? Manners, education, behaviour, language, what?

DJH1971

Established Member

reg

Bolton-work has started installing drainage alongside platform 5 track.Will forward pic.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've just read August's "Modern Railways" report of the 2018 Railway Industry Innovation Awards. The Small Scale Business Project award reported on page 63 made my lower jaw drop. The preamble says the award "recognises innovations which may not figure large on the national stage but are still worthwhile initiatives that deserve to be recognised."

The text reads:

"The winning entry here concerned an innovative solution for electrification of the railway beneath the Cardiff Intersection Bridge, where the Queen Street lines cross the Great Western main line east of Cardiff Central station […] this particular bridge has very low clearances and could have cost as much as £50 million to rebuild […] Consultancy firm Andromeda Engineering worked with Network Rail for a radical new solution to resolve this problem, which cost less than £1 million and caused minimal disruption […] This saw a coating applied to the underside of the bridge to insulate it from the wires on the main line."

Am I missing something, or could this mean that (say) the line into Wigan Wallgate could be electrified by the simple expedient of painting the underside of the road bridge instead of demolishing half the town and taking a lifetime to get the OK to do it then a few years to do it at huge cost?

I have just pinched myself, I am awake, I haven't had a drink and I've re-read it three times. Worramimissing?

PS: "may not figure large on the national stage but are still worthwhile initiatives" ?! Couldn't this change the future of electrification?
PPS: here's a shot I took of the said bridge in 2013. Not a trivial structure:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/15579576553/in/album-72157656353108448/

Status
Not open for further replies.