• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has already been answered but when the line is fully operational, is there any chance that any Virgin Train services will run beyond Manchester to Bolton or run via Manchester/Bolton north to Glasgow rather than Warrington/Wigan? I know highly unlikely given pathing constraints

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been answered but when the line is fully operational, is there any chance that any Virgin Train services will run beyond Manchester to Bolton or run via Manchester/Bolton north to Glasgow rather than Warrington/Wigan? I know highly unlikely given pathing constraints
I'm not sure about a Bolton service.

I expect the line to be used for diversions if the WCML is shut.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
when the line is fully operational, is there any chance that any Virgin Train services will run beyond Manchester to Bolton or run via Manchester/Bolton north to Glasgow rather than Warrington/Wigan? I know highly unlikely given pathing constraints

Rumour.... has it that at some point in the future that 1 or 2 of the early morning Man Picc - Euston services might start from Bolton with a couple finishing back at Bolton early evening.

We will see!;)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Rumour.... has it that at some point in the future that 1 or 2 of the early morning Man Picc - Euston services might start from Bolton with a couple finishing back at Bolton early evening.
We will see!;)

Virgin will run one or two 390s ECS Preston-Longsight early and late, currently running via Golborne.
Passenger services are unlikely until the WCP franchise is awarded next year.

td97

Established Member
The December 2018 edition of Rail Engineer, aptly titled 'Electrification focus', has a very relevant section about monitoring overhead lines (aka what the Pendolino will be doing this week). For anyone interested, it's on P24-25, but honestly it's all a worthwhile and interesting read for anyone interested in electrification.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Virgin will run one or two 390s ECS Preston-Longsight early and late, currently running via Golborne.
Passenger services are unlikely until the WCP franchise is awarded next year.

Yep agree the ECS will happen at some point but both Manchester Piccadilly & Preston drivers will need complete route learning again from Ordsall Lane to Euxton Jct as a diversionary route.
Like you say nothing will happen if at all passenger wise until the new WCP franchise starts.

Last edited:

Muenchener

Re test trains Thursday and Friday; anyone know the likelihood of any stn being accessible after midnight other than Bolton or Piccadilly? Assume most on this line will be secured from platform access after last train which, at Eux Jct end of the line, is 22:18 at BSV.

Muenchener

If they're section proving (they were doing so last night) then you won't be allowed near. While test trains are running should be OK.
Understood about the proving. Have visited the ticket office at BSV this afternoon where staff confirmed stn secured after last departure at 22:18 meaning no platform access when the 390 glides through southbound...

PN27

Adlington, Blackrod, Lostock and the four stations between Bolton and Salford Crescent are your best bet- unless they post a bloke in orange there, there's nothing to stop you accessing the platforms at any time. If you can't get on Adlington station, Bradshaw Fields footbridge is a good vantage point.

Muenchener

Adlington, Blackrod, Lostock and the four stations between Bolton and Salford Crescent are your best bet- unless they post a bloke in orange there, there's nothing to stop you accessing the platforms at any time. If you can't get on Adlington station, Bradshaw Fields footbridge is a good vantage point.
Thx. Looks like Adlington for me then.

Whistler40145

Established Member
From the view of a Rail Enthusiast, do Network Rail carry out different situations during the tests e.g. testing the voltage to it’s limit without causing a short circuit?

LDECRexile

Established Member
As at 1840 all set to go as per Realtimetrains, ie Pendolino, early hours of Thursday two runs at 50 mph, early hours Friday two runs at 70 mph. Overnight Saturday (?319) testing the umpteen crossings between the two Salfords.

I will go to Kearsley tonight for 00:40 then Clifton for 01:32 with flask and camera battery fully charged!

Easiest filming points are Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Moses Gate, Lever Street footbridge, overlooking Bolton station from the Newport St side, Ladybridge, Lostock, Blackrod, Adlington. To make use of the many footbridges used over the past four years even familiar users will need steps and torches.

DJH1971

Established Member
As at 1840 all set to go as per Realtimetrains, ie Pendolino, early hours of Thursday two runs at 50 mph, early hours Friday two runs at 70 mph. Overnight Saturday (?319) testing the umpteen crossings between the two Salfords.

I will go to Kearsley tonight for 00:40 then Clifton for 01:32 with flask and camera battery fully charged!

Easiest filming points are Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Moses Gate, Lever Street footbridge, overlooking Bolton station from the Newport St side, Ladybridge, Lostock, Blackrod, Adlington. To make use of the many footbridges used over the past four years even familiar users will need steps and torches.
Looks like it's happening at last!

Chorley1980

Just watched the set go through Chorley - interestingly 2 pantograph were up and not the usual one for a 390

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

wrinkley

Could not get on the platform at Lostock, I got one poor photo from the bridge, not enough light. Will send to Dave.

Muenchener

Just back from seeing 5Q01 thru Adlington and 5Q02 thru BSV.

There seems to be an official presence this morning on each stn. Myself and an oppo were asked to leave the stn at Adlington because a test train was coming through and we weren't allowed to be on the platform...!
Returned to BSV to see 390 104 return Northbound to PRE.
Have a couple of low quality vids but unable to upload them to this site due to file size. Any ideas how to get them on to the forum? Happy to send via email but not a subscriber to Flickr, Twitter, Facebook or anysuch...

LDECRexile

Established Member
Just back from Clifton and Kearsley, managed to get half decent films at both, but they are too big, so I'm going to have to contact someone I know to see if he can kindly reduce them.

Both sites had security presences preventing access to the platforms. Both were pleasant and helpful, notably by constructively suggesting where I could go, not merely shooing me away.

They also said they expected to be on site tomorrow night, too.

Muenchener, if you send me a message through this forum I'll send you my postal address so you can send me your films on a chip and I'll ask "my man" if he could shrink yours, too, then I'll publish them all in the Combined Volume.

Railrover and Bertie, I'll wang yours onto the Combined Volume tomorrow - beddibies beckons!

An exciting night!

Status
Not open for further replies.