• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Malay States

Yes that's right, you will be able to get on an electric train at Bolton from Monday.

We have been told that half of the Man Vic- Buckshaw Parkway turnbacks, as well as about one in three of the Man Picc-Blackpool North and Man Airport-Preston services are booked to be 319s.
Martin Keating, the Northern Stakeholder Manager, has emailed his contacts this afternoon confirming what Llama has said in post 9445.

SansHache

Class 323 and Class 390 have both been signed off for interim service operation on the Bolton route today, subject to a maximum speed restriction of 75mph. I would assume that Class 319 and 350 will have received similar authorisation but I haven't seen the documentation.
Electric trains and trains on Saturdays - they are spoiling us!

td97

Established Member
Class 323 and Class 390 have both been signed off for interim service operation on the Bolton route today, subject to a maximum speed restriction of 75mph. I would assume that Class 319 and 350 will have received similar authorisation but I haven't seen the documentation.
Electric trains and trains on Saturdays - they are spoiling us!
Are you aware if this is feeding off the WCML side, or has the extension lead been completed?

SansHache

Are you aware if this is feeding off the WCML side, or has the extension lead been completed?

I presume the feeder will be from Willow Park (Parkside) along the Chat Moss route into Manchester then via Ordsall Lane up to Euxton, as it was for the test runs before Christmas. The extension lead isn't plugged in yet.

Elecman

Established Member
Fed from Willow Park ATFS ( Parkside Grid Feeder ) Heyrod Grid Feeder, Stalybridge ATFS and Great Extension Lead nowhere near ready yet.

td97

Established Member
I presume the feeder will be from Willow Park (Parkside) along the Chat Moss route into Manchester then via Ordsall Lane up to Euxton, as it was for the test runs before Christmas. The extension lead isn't plugged in yet.
Fed from Willow Park ATFS ( Parkside Grid Feeder ) Heyrod Grid Feeder, Stalybridge ATFS and Great Extension Lead nowhere near ready yet.
Thanks both, thought that might be the case.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Yes that's right, you will be able to get on an electric train at Bolton from Monday.

We have been told that half of the Man Vic- Buckshaw Parkway turnbacks, as well as about one in three of the Man Picc-Blackpool North and Man Airport-Preston services are booked to be 319s.

This is great news, though personally miffing as I'll be in The Great Wen Monday to Wednesday. I'll strive to get a ride or two on Thursday.

Well done all concerned.

Malay States

Martin Keating, the Northern Stakeholder Manager, has emailed his contacts this afternoon confirming what Llama has said in post 9445.
Further to the above, the same email explained that Network Rail will today issue the necessary certification to operate electric trains via Bolton following final testing and commissioning of the system last weekend. it was also mentioned that class 769s will be introduced during the summer.

Muenchener

Further to the above, the same email explained that Network Rail will today issue the necessary certification to operate electric trains via Bolton following final testing and commissioning of the system last weekend. it was also mentioned that class 769s will be introduced during the summer.
You wouldn't happen to know if a cascade plan of DMUs is currently being worked? Clearly; with EMUs in place on the Bolton corridor there is an opportunity to bolster DMU services that may previously have been short-formed.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You wouldn't happen to know if a cascade plan of DMUs is currently being worked? Clearly; with EMUs in place on the Bolton corridor there is an opportunity to bolster DMU services that may previously have been short-formed.

Or more likely the start of Pacer withdrawals?

InOban

Established Member

What's the delay? The usual reasons for the late delivery of the project - ground conditions etc - surely don't apply.

Llama

Established Member
Monday, I haven't seen the crew/unit diagrams yet, I will have a dig around tomorrow.

superkev

Established Member
Assuming no more excuses and the line has its full compliment of emu's on Monday anyone know roughley how many dmus are made spare. Perhaps this be the start of the pacer withdrawing
K

AndyW33

Assuming no more excuses and the line has its full compliment of emu's on Monday anyone know roughley how many dmus are made spare. Perhaps this be the start of the pacer withdrawing
K
It will all depend on the number of actual diagrams that are able to switch from diesel to electric without alteration. The line certainly won't have anything like every train electric on Monday, simply because a lot of diagrams include running on non-electrified routes. The diagrams are due to change anyway in May and that's the point at which significant numbers of DMUs start to be released

The good thing about even a proportion of trains going electric is that there's no way to short-form a 319 or 323, so the number of seats actually provided each day is likely to rise.

Last edited:

Magicake

What's the delay? The usual reasons for the late delivery of the project - ground conditions etc - surely don't apply.

I would say a lot is to do with all the attention during the Autumn being on the repeatedly delayed Manchester to Preston route and little oversight being given to the increasing delays on the extension lead which at the time was seen as being less critical as it wasn't due for completion until later.

It will all depend on the number of actual diagrams that are able to switch from diesel to electric without alteration. The line certainly won't have anything like every train electric on Monday, simply because a lot of diagrams include running on non-electrified routes. The diagrams are due to change anyway in May and that's the point at which significant numbers of DMUs start to be released

The good thing about even a proportion of trains going electric is that there's no way to short-form a 319 or 323, so the number of seats actually provided each day is likely to rise.

The current feeding arrangements also won't support a full electric service yet I don't believe.

PN27

K

From the description above, it appears that there will be three diagrams going to EMUs on Monday; this will leave the majority of services still as DMUs. This will probably release four or five DMUs.

yrreb

From the description above, it appears that there will be three diagrams going to EMUs on Monday; this will leave the majority of services still as DMUs. This will probably release four or five DMUs.
Makes me wonder what's going to happen once four or five DMUs come free - Pacer withdrawal or diagram strengthening? :s

Hophead

Established Member
At a guess, neither. Just a reduced likelihood of short-forms.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
My punt for Monday, probably wrong!

There is a 319 that spends the entire day sat in the sidings at Vic arrival ex Liverpool around 0930. I am fully expecting this to be foisted onto the 1005 Buckshaw off Vic on Monday, So no need to be rushing down too early. The first couple of sets that usually do the Buckshaw turnbacks come off NH and the two sets in the reverse sidings are already spoken for, so cant really think where else it will come from with out too much rejigging. I would also guess that when the 319 comes back it will come in from Buckshaw and form the 1711 to Lime St and that will be your Vic - Bolton electrics done for the day.

I would guess in May the 319 might well come empty from Bolton early doors to form the first run up to Preston.

I guess we will see Monday.

Last edited:

A post on Facebook this morning says there are three 319 units running today, already started with the 5:23 Blackpool-Manchester, the other two working Preston-Manchester and Buckshaw-Manchester.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
In service?

This one was, apparently. The 0534 was timed as a DMU, but this is a 319 on realtrainsurprises.co.uk.

mikemcniven

319's are up and running via Bolton, three of them in services running via Bolton

319368 on Blackpool North - Piccadilly then back and forth all day.
319365 on Preston - Man. Airport most of day.
319361 on Victoria - Buckshaw all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.