• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwl

Established Member
Another major failing alongside gauging issues. ONE standard coupling on all units. It seems we learned nothing from the days of blue squares, yellow diamonds, red spots etc! :(
Everything is moving towards Dellner 12 as the standard.
The problem is when you need to move on to a far better alternative.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
Everything is moving towards Dellner 12 as the standard.
The problem is when you need to move on to a far better alternative.
In which case, in order to be "better", it will also need to be backwardly compatible.

hwl

Established Member
Then it won't be "better".
The experience in NSE land is much better even with a mix. The Dellners are that much more relaible, safer and offer improved functionality need for things like SDO, DOO etc.
The solution is of course to retrofit Dellners in some cases which SE, Southern and SWT all did on some stock.

furnessvale

Established Member
The experience in NSE land is much better even with a mix. The Dellners are that much more relaible, safer and offer improved functionality need for things like SDO, DOO etc.
The solution is of course to retrofit Dellners in some cases which SE, Southern and SWT all did on some stock.
Sorry, I appear to have misread your post #9811. I got the impression you were talking about replacing the Dellner at some unspecified time in the future with an, as yet, undesigned "better" coupler.

Hence my comment that to be "better" it would also need to be backwards compatible.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's not just the coupler hardware.
Electrical and control software compatibility (ETCS, TMS etc) is also critical to interoperability.
That's what the technical TSIs are for.

furnessvale

Established Member
It's not just the coupler hardware.
Electrical and control software compatibility (ETCS, TMS etc) is also critical to interoperability.
That's what the technical TSIs are for.
True, they too should be backwardly compatible.

As an absolute minimum, the hardware should be compatible with electronics in a fail safe position so that recovery of a failed unit does not need another unit being sent from God knows where.

Sadly, I feel that horse bolted long ago.

notlob.divad

Established Member
I am not sure what any of this has to do with Manchester to Blackpool electrification, a project which by my observation is now complete.

As such should this thread not be closed and discussion on related issues move to their respective threads. Be that rolling stock, timetables, Wigan-Lostock / Manchester-Stalybridge Electrification, or indeed the benefits of standardised coupler designs.

Jozhua

Established Member
I am not sure what any of this has to do with Manchester to Blackpool electrification, a project which by my observation is now complete.

As such should this thread not be closed and discussion on related issues move to their respective threads. Be that rolling stock, timetables, Wigan-Lostock / Manchester-Stalybridge Electrification, or indeed the benefits of standardised coupler designs.

Well we're still waiting on the May timetable change and the extension lead before full electric service so there is probably still some purpose in the threads existence.

Maybe if we want to keep it open we should get off couplings though ;)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
To be honest I would say a discussion regarding what rolling stock is going to be used on the line is very much on topic, but we certainly don’t need yet another tedious thread about how great 323s are.

Has the stock for May been confirmed yet? In Feb 2018, when they announced that electrification wouldn’t be complete for May, Northern put out a press release saying the line would be the first to get 331s - from last December. Obviously they won’t be working from May but do we know what will be? More 319s, still some DMUs?

HowardGWR

Established Member
To be honest I would say a discussion regarding what rolling stock is going to be used on the line is very much on topic, but we certainly don’t need yet another tedious thread about how great 323s are.
It might be 'on topic' but it is in the wrong forum.

Chris125

Established Member

Just come across this - Victoria-Buckshaw Parkway cabride on 319380

Jonny

Established Member

Just come across this - Victoria-Buckshaw Parkway cabride on 319380

It seems they don't like their video being embedded.

Also, I noticed that the MU differential speeds were uncovered. Does that mean that they are now in force?

Llama

Established Member
It seems they don't like their video being embedded.

Also, I noticed that the MU differential speeds were uncovered. Does that mean that they are now in force?
They have been unbagged for months. The blanket 75mph ESR is still in force for electric traction.

TBSchenker

Class 350s have now been authorised Euxton Jn-Ordsal Lane Jn via Bolton, and Windsor Bridge South to Deal Street via Salford Central .

Trapper

Travelling from Middlesbrough to Victoria today I noted that the GEL troughing now seems complete to Miles Platting but still at least one gap in the ladder troughing on the viaduct between Collyhurst tunnel and Victoria. The OHL termination posts have now gone up on platform 1 and 2. Looks like everything is in place to complete the (cut-down) electrification during the Easter blockade.

Llama

Established Member
There still seems to be a bit of work to do at Heyrod, but hopefully over the weekend there will be more knitting at Victoria East Jn (and the newly designated Bromley Street Jn).

Jonny

Established Member
Is the 'great extension lead' needed to remove the 75mph limit for electric traction?

Ken H

On Moderation
What are they actually doing on the victoria - stalybridge line?
Is it the extension lead they are finishing off or are they putting up overheads as well, nothing makes sense on this page.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...bria-over-easter-and-may-early-bank-holidays/

if in wrong thread admin can delete.
extension lead. proper electrification on hold. I think Miles Platting needs remodelling first.

(There used to be an outdoor pursuits centre on Miles Platting station. think its gone now.)

Trapper

What are they actually doing on the victoria - stalybridge line?
Is it the extension lead they are finishing off or are they putting up overheads as well, nothing makes sense on this page.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...bria-over-easter-and-may-early-bank-holidays/

if in wrong thread admin can delete.

a) The GEL from Heyrod to Ordsall lane to feed power into the system.
b) The OHL from Bromley street into platforms 1 and 2 at Manchester Victoria.

Both activities are needed to complete the curtailed Northwest Electrification Project. Future electrification from Bromley street to Stalybridge and beyond has been transferred to the Transpennine Route Upgrade. It is not anticipated that any works will be carried out in CP6 due to the possible requirement to relay Miles Platting and Stalybridge junctions to achieve the required journey time improvements. Based on the new contractor access points that have sprouted up it would appear that CP6 work could be restricted to the Leeds to Huddersfield section. However works may still be undertaken on the Neville Hill to Colton junction section to close that electrification gap.

jonesy3001

Established Member
this bit really bugs on me
  • Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge: continuing work on the electrification project between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge, with work to install telecommunications cabling and overhead line work taking place between Saturday 20 and Easter Monday.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Is the 'great extension lead' needed to remove the 75mph limit for electric traction?
I'm guessing it must be, because the line will be full of electric traction.
NR said last week: “The current timetable assumes train speeds of 75mph. We are currently working through all the technical analysis in preparation for a speed increase to 100mph in May.”
TPE have said Anglo-Scottish services will resume from Bolton, but waiting for confirmation of the line speed change.
As RTT stands at the moment, TPE trains don't stop at Bolton and the new 319 diagrams are mainly timed for the old units (from what I have looked up).
The TPE timings seems to reflect their rolling stock capabilities though.
Looking at the new 319 diagrams, makes me think if they have enough units, hence DMU timings as back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.