• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

SodTheDrummer

Was the Skylink supposed to run into the actual railway station at some point or did I imagine that? Im sure it landed where the ticket office is now on the original drawings?

I think (judging by where the steel supports are) it's supposed to enter the station where the temporary coffee shop was in the front corner (Newport St), so in front of the ticket counter.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations-and-destinations/stations-made-easy/bolton-station-plan On This diagram (way out of date), where the Travel Information Office is indicated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PDG1949

According to TFGMs media centre, the first span is in place:

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=1198

Span%20lift%20two%20WEB.jpg

Substantial progress has been made on a crucial element of Bolton’s new, state-of-the-art transport interchange.

The first steel span making up the ‘skylink’ bridge, which will connect the interchange with Bolton railway station, was lifted into place last night by a 750 tonne crane. The work was completed outside of rail timetable hours to minimise disruption to passengers.

The span is 3.6 metres high, 3.8 metres wide, 20.1 metres long, weighs 30.5 tonnes and oversees the interchange’s bus apron.

Reminds me of a 142 bodyshell....:lol:

wrinkley

Was the Skylink supposed to run into the actual railway station at some point or did I imagine that? Im sure it landed where the ticket office is now on the original drawings?

It might just be me but by the time you have gone up/waited for a lift or 3 flights or stairs you could have just as easily gone out the normal entrance turned left down Newport St and arrived at the same point at the same time or perhaps even quicker!? I dont really understand the point in this bridge at all. Who wants to go all the way up there? I would have thought even a pedestrian crossing over the bus apron to a bridge to cut the corner, yeah maybe but this is stupid.

If you are starting from where the bus arrives, which is approximately at track level, and going to the station, then the height climbed is the same no matter which route you chose. If you go via Newport street, you go round two sides of the triangle, the bridge is the third side and therefore must be the shorter route and presumably quicker. It's also more weatherproof.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yep damn Network Rail value engineering.

This station refurbishment project is going over budget what do we do?
I know lets fit the bridge for but not with a roof, that will save some money!

Trackman

Established Member
Me too.. Just give me a damn cup of coffee with a bit of milk in it FFS! :D

It's not StarF*cks, Can't remember the name offhand, but I think it's part WH Smiths too..

Will be passing through tomorrow, so will have a look and try and get a couple of pics.

My friend has sent me some pics from inside but his missus is in all them so cant post here! ( they were on that mystery charter to Rugeley TV last Sunday)
It's like a mini supermarket and coffee bar and does hot food too.
It looks very smart.
Never seen one before!

Trackman

Established Member
a photo of the skybridge thingy taken today (from the top deck of a bus)
looks like 2 sections in place.

bridgethingy.jpg

Last edited:

reg

Visited the site this morning,two sections are in place including the main span over the tracks.A further section is being prepared on Newport street.Will send pics later.

Broseley man

I'm from Altrincham, that makes me posh. Just look at the stats for the constituency!

I am still struggling with the idea of 'coffee shop'. Is it one word? What does it do?

Reminds me of cheese and cake.

QueensCurve

Established Member
In short, no.

There is (of course) a design for it, but it isn't published (of course).

Intriguingly I can't find any trace of relevant Network Change activity on either of NR's websites; most odd.

The network changes as published tend not to include that anyway. :cry:

The very minor upgrade at Colwich a few years ago was the exception.

SodTheDrummer

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
One set of doors maybe but the new bridge full of doors on both sides? Truly the most bizarre construction and waste of time I've seen for a good while! Looks like they have made a nice outside viewing platform.

Last edited:

SodTheDrummer

One set of doors maybe but the new bridge full of doors on both sides? Truly the most bizarre construction and waste of time I've seen for a good while! Looks like they have made a nice outside viewing platform.

Does seem daft come to think of it.. This pic I took today appears to show 5 sets of doors in the second section..?

Maybe they got a deal from SafeStyle? :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_172900856.jpg
    IMG_20170425_172900856.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 95

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
At least this bridge is complete with a roof to keep you dry unlike the skidpan at salford crescent

Is anything ever going to be done about that I wonder? It's quite treacherous when it is wet, I seem to remember that it was originally going to be fitted with a roof but then they ran out of money...
Sam

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

No, it's very good design. It means (assuming that the doors open inwards) that cleaning the glass is done by opening the doors into the walkway, cleaning, and then closing them. No working at height, no issues with working over live 25kV OLE, no special access arrangements of any kind.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Sod the Drummer has kindly sent a batch of photos of progress at Bolton. I've added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157674289208123

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Thank you Sod.

Please note that Ann and I are off to North Wales tomorrow (Thursday) morning until Sunday evening. Before we go I'll be pleased to process any photos sent before 20:00 today, otherwise I'll do them on Monday.

Have fun.

Dave

notlob.divad

Established Member
Is anything ever going to be done about that I wonder? It's quite treacherous when it is wet, I seem to remember that it was originally going to be fitted with a roof but then they ran out of money...
Sam

The bridge at St Helens Central also gets treacherous in the wet. I wished they had put some form of transparent roof over it instead of just raising the parapets for the electrical clearances

Geeves

Established Member
No, it's very good design. It means (assuming that the doors open inwards) that cleaning the glass is done by opening the doors into the walkway, cleaning, and then closing them. No working at height, no issues with working over live 25kV OLE, no special access arrangements of any kind.

Yes that is a good point but in the same respect, the bridge at Salford Crescent (even though it has no roof) has windows that are on a hinge and they open into the passenger walkway so you can stand there and clean in safety. No doors or exterior platforms required. Too easy?

deltic08

On Moderation
Assuming you mean permissible speed, no. For signalling and performance reasons there's no point going much faster than 50 at this point, as the curves at the north end of the station will always be 20 (theoretical 25 but only at a massive value of cant deficiency). However, the alignment changes radically to accommodate the new 50mph lead into P5 and a straight on which to place the entrance lead to the proposed Up Loop.

Did I use the wrong terminology or is there a difference between line speed and permissible speed?

DarloRich

Veteran Member

CDM in action ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.