• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcniven

I've heard 323s will be used initially on Blackpool to Macclesfield services (until 331s become available) but perhaps we should wait until page 323 to discuss that.

So does that mean 319's would be used on other services that the 323's currently operate bar the Glossop/Hadfield line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
I travelled Southport-Bolton-Man Vic and back today. I was encouraged by what I saw.

1. Several masts have appeared next to and opposite the Tarmac terminal south of Agecroft North Junction. As I hadn't been able so see bases in some locations this leaps from zero to hero.
2. Some masts between Cock Robin bridge and Broughton Road.
3. Several new signals up or lying down awaiting commissioning between Salford Crescent and Clifton. Corresponding reduced numbers of Orangepersons on show, but some still beavering away.
4. Sprinkling of new bases between Salford Crescent and Clifton.
5. Sprinkling of new danglies between Salford Crescent and Bolton.
6. Signalling work near Beaumont Road bridge.
7. Track rationalisation in Bolton station.
8. Uprights for the new footbridge at the south end of Bolton Platforms 4/5 installed.
9. Lots of work in hand at Bolton.
10. Some new Platform 5-to-be track in place in vicinity of Lever St footbridge.
11. Gangs working on the electrical site just east of Lostock Junction.
12. Visible progress on the much-photographed signal opposite Platform 2 at Bolton.
13. Sprinkling of new bases Kearsley to Moses Gate.
14. Most, but not all, masts appear to be in place between Salford Crescent and Central

a) no visible action at the two foot crossings near the M60.
b) serious knotweed problem along substantial stretches of track south of Kearsley and Lostock-Parbold.

Photos later.

pemma

Veteran Member
So does that mean 319's would be used on other services that the 323's currently operate bar the Glossop/Hadfield line.

I thought the 323s were outbound from Northern at the ROSCO insistence?

When do Blackpool to Macclesfield services start?

- 323s leave in January 2019.
- Macclesfield to Blackpool starts in May 2018.
- The first 331s won't be available until the December 2018 timetable change.

Northern plan to use 769s on Alderley Edge services from next May and 319s on Liverpool-Airport-Crewe services, meaning some 323s will be freed up.

The franchise announcement did mention using 319s on Glossop services as an interim measure but I've not heard anything on that since. Once some TPE services are routed away from Guide Bridge the slower 319 acceleration shouldn't be an issue on Glossop services. It would remain an issue on Stoke services though.

As mentioned there's a specific thread for the May 2018 changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Forgive me if I have missed this, but what stations between Macclesfield and Manchester on this new Blackpool service will be called at?

See post #13 of the thread I linked for the southbound calls (including Prestbury :)). Reportedly the northbound service will call additionally at Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme.

scrapy

Established Member
Forgive me if I have missed this, but what stations between Macclesfield and Manchester on this new Blackpool service will be called at?

Generally.

Poynton, Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport.

Morning peak northbound all call at Prestbury and all but one at Adlington.

Evening peak one southbound calls at Adlington and Prestbury.

Several evening services run SOT/MAC to/ from BPN calling all stops between Macclesfield and Stockport including last one from Man Picc to Macclesfield which starts back from Blackpool at 2200.

Almost all services to miss Heaton Chapel/Levenshulme but as said this may change northbound.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Thanks for the Bolton - Manchester piece. I am actually back for a very brief visit home this weekend and should arrive in Manchester Airport around one thirtyish in the afternoon Friday - CDG airport permitting - wife can not pick me up so I will try and deliberately catch the Northern Service rather than TPE and I will try and focus Bolton - Euxton Jct. Over the weekend I also hope to nip to Darkinson and Salwick. Will update as possible.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Generally.

Poynton, Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport.

Morning peak northbound all call at Prestbury and all but one at Adlington.

Evening peak one southbound calls at Adlington and Prestbury.

Several evening services run SOT/MAC to/ from BPN calling all stops between Macclesfield and Stockport including last one from Man Picc to Macclesfield which starts back from Blackpool at 2200.

Almost all services to miss Heaton Chapel/Levenshulme but as said this may change northbound.

So there will be some services calling at both Adlington (Lancs) and Adlington (Cheshire)? <D

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks for the Bolton - Manchester piece. I am actually back for a very brief visit home this weekend and should arrive in Manchester Airport around one thirtyish in the afternoon Friday - CDG airport permitting - wife can not pick me up so I will try and deliberately catch the Northern Service rather than TPE and I will try and focus Bolton - Euxton Jct. Over the weekend I also hope to nip to Darkinson and Salwick. Will update as possible.

I'm away Fri am to Sun eve, so no chance of a meet, but I look forward to your report(s) and photo(s).

Elecman

Established Member
It's the wire that sometimes run between masts to carry the 'earth' between masts where they aren't individually bonded to the return rail in the ussual manner

scrapy

Established Member
So there will be some services calling at both Adlington (Lancs) and Adlington (Cheshire)? <D

This should probably now be under another thread but I haven't found any as between Manchester and Preston these trains follow the current stopping pattern of the Hazel Grove to Blackpool trains thus ommitting Blackrod and Adlington. I suspect there may end up being additional peak calls at these stations but these may not call at Adlington Cheshire as it will be counterpeak when it gets there.

On Sundays there may be through trains but that is to be confirmed

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
So equipotential bonding then?

No there are + &- 25kv supplies (potential difference 50kV) used to feed an auto transformer that creates 25kV between the contact wire and running rails

It's the wire that sometimes run between masts to carry the 'earth' between masts where they aren't individually bonded to the return rail in the usual manner
EQUIPOTENTIAL BONDING

As I thought - two opinions though - who is right? :D

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Would I be correct in thinking that Booster Transformers aren't used on the sections converted to Autotransformer system?

Status
Not open for further replies.