• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greybeard33

Established Member
I travelled from Kearsley to Vic today. It is worrying that there is still no sign of National Grid preparing to raise or bury any of the transmission lines that hang low over the railway. Does anyone know how long this work is likely to take once they get started?

I guess the pile driver cannot safely work under the live HV wires.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Well I did the run from the airport to Preston station and then got a taxi home so I also went down Tom Benson Way with the camera at ready. I have sent about 8 shots to Dave. Long story short there are not just masts on TB Way but they mainly have cantilevers too. Definite progress. Massive progress MAN to PRE. Huge amount of new track sleepers etc at Bolton and orangemen everywhere. Many many new bases and piles since my last trip July 1st. They really are cracking on. Many masts have cantilevers and some large insulators at the top so definitely auto transformer. To me the eye opener was Euxton - there is wire up. It is loosely pinned to the gantries but I would say half a mile of wire. I also noticed on the WCML a new base and mast presumably where they tie the two schemes together on the crossover. Great news

1978NWUK

Well I did the run from the airport to Preston station and then got a taxi home so I also went down Tom Benson Way with the camera at ready. I have sent about 8 shots to Dave. Long story short there are not just masts on TB Way but they mainly have cantilevers too. Definite progress. Massive progress MAN to PRE. Huge amount of new track sleepers etc at Bolton and orangemen everywhere. Many many new bases and piles since my last trip July 1st. They really are cracking on. Many masts have cantilevers and some large insulators at the top so definitely auto transformer. To me the eye opener was Euxton - there is wire up. It is loosely pinned to the gantries but I would say half a mile of wire. I also noticed on the WCML a new base and mast presumably where they tie the two schemes together on the crossover. Great news

Correct, and progress indeed!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
So could not resist and managed to get away for 1 hour. There are masts with cantilevers on Tom Benson Way. There are masts with some cantilevered at Darkinson Lane. The real news is all and I mean all the piles/bases are in place at Salwick station . Great progress. I have sent photos to Dave so after his family weekend you may see them as soon as Monday.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Great news indeed. Dec '17 may still be on at that rate :) I'll probably take a trip along the line the Tuesday or Wednesday after the Bank Holiday weekend when it'll be reopen just before my GM Traincard expires

LDECRexile

Established Member

Ianno87

Veteran Member
RE: Bolton August blockade.

Is the whole new layout commissioned by the end of the blockade? I'm booked to pass through on 30th August and hoping to give the new Platform 5 a test ride...

(Have searched the thread for an answer to the above, but can't find it...)

thealexweb

Does anyone know why the new footbridge only crosses the track of Platform 5? Are there any plans for it to go over to Platforms 1-3?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why the new footbridge only crosses the track of Platform 5? Are there any plans for it to go over to Platforms 1-3?

This was discussed way back, probably on this thread somewhere. With Platform 5 being new it has to be risk-assessed and the conclusion must have been that it needed an emergency exit. Platforms 1-3, despite probably being busier, are still in their previous condition so benefit from "grandfather rights". I think it follows that the new footbridge won't be useable except in emergency.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
This was discussed way back, probably on this thread somewhere. With Platform 5 being new it has to be risk-assessed and the conclusion must have been that it needed an emergency exit. Platforms 1-3, despite probably being busier, are still in their previous condition so benefit from "grandfather rights". I think it follows that the new footbridge won't be useable except in emergency.

Cunningly, it is all positioned so that it can extended over to P1/2/3 later, should the need arise, but you answer is correct in all other respects.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Cunningly, it is all positioned so that it can extended over to P1/2/3 later, should the need arise, but you answer is correct in all other respects.

I seem to remember you were either uncertain or deliberately cagey on that point when it was discussed before, but I'm glad to hear that provision has been made for extension if needed.

driver9000

Established Member
RE: Bolton August blockade.

Is the whole new layout commissioned by the end of the blockade? I'm booked to pass through on 30th August and hoping to give the new Platform 5 a test ride...

(Have searched the thread for an answer to the above, but can't find it...)

From the briefing we have been given on the new layout it all opens on 27 August. Whether anything will be using 5 with any degree of certainty remains to be be seen.

snowball

Established Member
The fourth platform at Manchester Airport remained unused for many months after it was apparently finished.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
From the briefing we have been given on the new layout it all opens on 27 August. Whether anything will be using 5 with any degree of certainty remains to be be seen.

Thanks - I'll refrain from raising hopes too highly!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Reg has kindly sent four more shots from yesterday's excitement at Bolton.

I've woven them in as 7880n, 7876z2, 7874z and 7874y2.

I'm now on with today's material.

Thank you Reg

LDECRexile

Established Member

snowball

Established Member
Surprised to see the apparent use of headspans in 7912i-k. I thought they were out of favour except for special locations such as Rainhill. And on mere double track too, where it's not obvious why pairs of single track cantilevers couldn't have been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.