• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Reopening due on Monday next, 29th Jan. Paul and I intend to travel from Preston to Kirkham and Wesham and back then, by train.

Fingers crossed!

Looking back towards Preston and from your train journey I will be very interested indeed on your joint report of wires to Kirkham from Fylde Jct

If I was back in England - and I am - but February 23rd -26th , I thought about doing Preston - Blackpool South (possible break in either direction at K&W) then get a tram BPL South to BPL North and photograph progress at North.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Looking back towards Preston and from your train journey I will be very interested indeed on your joint report of wires to Kirkham from Fylde Jct

If I was back in England - and I am - but February 23rd -26th , I thought about doing Preston - Blackpool South (possible break in either direction at K&W) then get a tram BPL South to BPL North and photograph progress at North.

Sounds like a fab jaunt, I have an immovable commitment 24th/25th, alas.

Foggycorner

Nice picture ploughman is it for your 2018 christmas card?
where is it,looks like a relaying job with train of track panels in the distance waiting to be run out by crane

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not related to the electrification work, but the Semaphore signal by Crossleys Bridge, Layton has finally been removed.

Jensen

The picture in the snow reminds me of the time back in the day when we were replacing Br. No.153A (I think Lawley Street in Birmingham at Easter and it snowed. Heavily. Lacking in manpower, myself and I think one other (being from the client side) took it upon ourselves to shovel the snow off the new bridgedeck to allow the waterproofing subbie at least a fighting chance to put the membrane down (Wolfin 1B if anybody is interested.) In those circumstances the entire site team works as one and forget what cap badge you have on.

LDECRexile

Established Member
An Orangeman has told me that Monday's reopening to Blackpool South is ON.

Last minute tidying at Kirkham and Wesham this weekend. If anyone's passing, don't forget your camera!

amywok

Planning to get the first train out of Lytham on Monday - will report - hoping it runs!

Geeves

Established Member
I worked up at Lostock on Friday just gone. After talking to the orange bods while delivering their post I was told next Thursday through till Saturday the car park will be closed for delivery of the electrical switch gear. Obviously this is not 100% but its good to hear!

Was it a gent from here I was talking to at the booking office? He seemed very clued up!

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I worked up at Lostock on Friday just gone. After talking to the orange bods while delivering their post I was told next Thursday through till Saturday the car park will be closed for delivery of the electrical switch gear. Obviously this is not 100% but its good to hear!

Was it a gent from here I was talking to at the booking office? He seemed very clued up!

This is to my mind a major milestone and is indeed great news. Looking forward to the photos that someone is sure to post or may be even the GNRP twitter feed

wrinkley

Not me at the booking office, but I will get down there next week with a camera.

Elecman

Established Member
I thought that was going in- in fact already gone in- at Kirkham just west of the station before the Jct with the south line branch?

There is another one located just behind where the former Blackpool,No2 signalbox was. It was delivered in the last couple of days

LDECRexile

Established Member
Big kit gone in and going in is very good news.

Weather forecast wet in the morning but clearing from dinner time for tomorrow's reopening from Preston to Blackpool South.

I wonder what this weekend will bring south of Euxton. These worry spots remain:

1. Missing bases Salford Crescent Platform 2
2. Missing bases Pendleton Old to Cockrobin Bridge
3. Missing bases North of Agecroft Road bridge
4. Structure to be installed between Agecroft Road bridge and Clifton station?
5. Power lines oversailing between M60 and Kearsley?
6. Foot crossings either side of M60, close or bridge?
7. Stalactites in Farnworth Tunnel?
8. Missing bases Farnworth station to Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge
9. Lever Street footbridge, demolish, replace, leave as is?
10. Missing base Bolton Platform 5
11. Stalactites in Bullfield Tunnel?
12. Missing base(s) between Bullfield Tunnel and Newport Street, Bolton?
13. Big electric kit Lostock Junction
14. Incomplete footbridge Anderton Hall Lane
15. Foot crossing between Horwich and M61, close or bridge?
16. Missing bases on viaduct south of Chorley? (there may be fixings on the outside of the structure)
17. Stalactites Chorley Tunnel?

Please add any and, even better, show any to have been sorted or to be non-issues.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Yes when bases are still missing it is definitely of concern. Since one has to assume the missing ones are bespoke that is not as simple as driving a pile in. Shuttering say one night plus rebar cage - pour concrete one more night. Then concrete cures - certainly 7 days though I prefer 28 days - then fix the mast then the cantilevers then the gubbins then the wires. Hmmmm Glad that item number 13 looks might get done this coming week

snowball

Established Member
The empty cylinders asked about in the caption to 9428i look like part of the equipment for drilling rotary bored piles. The serrated edge would be at the bottom of the hole. An auger like a big drill would be drilled down inside the cylinders. The muck is brought out, a rebar cage lowered in and concrete is poured in, then the cylinders are pulled out.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The empty cylinders asked about in the caption to 9428i look like part of the equipment for drilling rotary bored piles. The serrated edge would be at the bottom of the hole. An auger like a big drill would be drilled down inside the cylinders. The muck is brought out, a rebar cage lowered in and concrete is poured in, then the cylinders are pulled out.

Which of course means you do not need shuttering and get the benefit of the tensile strength of steel from these and the rebar cage. A neat solution

amywok

The south Fylde line is running again! Caught the 07.06 from Lytham to Preston, first up service train (ecs ran earlier). Formed of a 142 and 150. Second train up crossed at Kirkham. At Kirkham used the new up platform and guard advised all Preston trains from this platform in future. Fair amount of wheel slip starting out of Lytham and 150 had a flat in the leading car. Dark so couldn’t see much but no wires in evidence at Kirkham Full platform lengths opened up at Kirkham and Salwick with vegetation removed. Pic shows shiny new signal and new off indicator and 142 leading.

Attachments

• F1F54B2C-847F-4FBC-A3F2-EE47CF89A8D8.jpeg
    F1F54B2C-847F-4FBC-A3F2-EE47CF89A8D8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 102
  • D89421FF-7E7A-4212-9431-B1BBACAB70FB.jpeg
    D89421FF-7E7A-4212-9431-B1BBACAB70FB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99

LDECRexile

Established Member

Interesting and informative, thank you; I didn't realise they had a serrated end which formed a cutting edge, I had assumed a hole was dug and they were placed in it, then concrete etc poured in.

This is at least as interesting as an answer to the question I intended, but expressed myself badly, which would have been "Why are these tubes here? Just a convenient place to stack them for use elsewhere or do they have a possible role with the base shown?"

Status
Not open for further replies.