• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I'm pleased to see that the test trains set to run in the early hours of tomorrow (Weds) are still showing on Realtimetrains (RTT):

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/BON/2019/01/23/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I will go to Clifton to film the first and Kearsley to film the second.

If I still have wind in my sails I'll go to Farnworth for the third and Moses Gate for the fourth, we'll see.

Gralistair will act as my eSpotter from the USA. He'll watch live on RTT and text me with messages like "just passing Bolton" so I can be ready. I really like the idea of me in the pitch black in an obscure location being guided by someone several thousand miles away. I wonder what my Grandma would have made of it!

I am all set up. May wind you up by texting or posting a selfie while grilling a steak and drinking a G + T or indeed a beer. Oh I forgot, it is dry January

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Unless I'm mistaken, the OLE is already live, but driving past on my commute, I've seen no evidence of any safety measures at all

No it’s not, it’s to be treated as Live at all times but is only actually Live when testing takes place

td97

Established Member
Here's useful quote I found from a month ago which answered a question I was going to ask (what is the main purpose of tonight's test?):
The next stage of testing (in January) will be with a Class 319 operating at the new line speed limits (up to 100mph) with the existing feeder arrangement.
Once the Heyrod feeder is connected the Pendolino tests will be repeated. These tests verify the performance of the power supply when drawing loads up to 7.5MW and also during regen braking.

Also, to quote myself from a couple of pages back, here are the links for the individual timings:
23/01/2019
  • (5Z90 2230 Allerton Depot to Preston)
  • 5Z91 0030 Preston to Manchester Victoria
  • 5Z92 0150 Manchester Victoria to Buckshaw Parkway
  • 5Z93 0228 Buckshaw Parkway to Manchester Victoria
  • 5Z94 0307 Manchester Victoria to Preston
  • (5Z95 0405 Preston to Allerton Depot)
24/01/2019
  • (5Z90 2230 Allerton Depot to Preston)
  • 5Z91 0030 Preston to Manchester Victoria
  • 5Z92 0150 Manchester Victoria to Buckshaw Parkway
  • 5Z93 0228 Buckshaw Parkway to Manchester Victoria
  • 5Z94 0307 Manchester Victoria to Preston
  • (5Z95 0405 Preston to Allerton Depot)

Class 170101

Established Member
Word coming through that TPE 22:13 Edinburgh Waverley to Manchester Airport running as booked with a 350 will be running via Chorley and Bolton 11-14 February due to engineering work on the Chat Moss.

Still shown in RTT today as terminating at Preston on those dates with bus forward to Manchester Airport.

Norb

Although there appears to be a 319 from lime street that would be stabled overnight in Preston that could be used for 5Z91

LDECRexile

Established Member
GPS worked!

Gralastair spotted that 5Z90 had made it to Wigan, albeit 17 down, he texted me and off I set. Three miles down the road he rang me to abort the mission, so I'm back home in the warm and dry with a flask of soup for supper. Immense pain saved as a hundred miles round trip in the early hours in the snow for a no show would have been, er, miffing.

Thank you Gralastair.

Good night all.

Muenchener

GPS worked!

Gralastair spotted that 5Z90 had made it to Wigan, albeit 17 down, he texted me and off I set. Three miles down the road he rang me to abort the mission, so I'm back home in the warm and dry with a flask of soup for supper. Immense pain saved as a hundred miles round trip in the early hours in the snow for a no show would have been, er, miffing.

Thank you Gralastair.

Good night all.
Could have been worse Dave; considering the way the weather turned with snow and black ice evident this morning. Let's hope tonight 's 5Z92 appears from 5Z90 and there will be something to video.
Wonder if there will be a further run inserted next week or tonight's run will be enough now.

Llama

Established Member
There's a T3 possession booked tonight through Bolton from about 2230 til 0550 tomorrow, won't be any test trains via Bolton.

Tomorrow night there is also a possession (different possession limits and timings) but the PLPR train (flying banana) is meant to be about too in its protected path, running as 1Q44.

Soup can be a bit earlier tonight!

Muenchener

There's a T3 possession booked tonight through Bolton from about 2230 til 0550 tomorrow, won't be any test trains via Bolton.

Tomorrow night there is also a possession (different possession limits and timings) but the PLPR train (flying banana) is meant to be about too in its protected path, running as 1Q44.

Soup can be a bit earlier tonight!

Thanks for the info. Probably at least one week before a new path is created to carry out the runs.

td97

Established Member
what is a T3 possession please?.
Possession for engineering works, with max 25mph through the entire work site/possession zone.
The speed limit is lower for going over points and entering sidings (there may be a few other exceptions).
Obviously not going to be doing any 100mph testing with the possession on.

hwl

Established Member
I saw the BUS - all the way through Bolton - what is a T3 possession please?
5Z90 is still showing in RTT as running from Allerton Depot to Preston though.
After standard GE/RT8000/T3 "Possession of a running line for engineering work"

themiller

Is EMU testing going to resume since the past 2 nights have been cancelled due to this T3 thingy or is that it til the may TT change?
Presumably, it'll all need testing again by a 390 once the extension lead is connected up and energised (and up to 100MPH as well). Which, I would have thought would be before the May timetable change as drivers will need to practice up to that speed. After all, we don't want trains flying through stations where they're supposed to stop!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Tony Miles has a piece in Feb Modern Railways after talking to NR about lessons learned from the project.
He describes the gap between initial testing and general authorisation being about safety-related changes to convert temporary solutions into permanent ones, together with general "snagging".

Llama

Established Member
Presumably, it'll all need testing again by a 390 once the extension lead is connected up and energised (and up to 100MPH as well). Which, I would have thought would be before the May timetable change as drivers will need to practice up to that speed. After all, we don't want trains flying through stations where they're supposed to stop!
Drivers won't need 'practice', they will be well acquainted with the route and can adjust for the higher permissible speeds. Some services are already being run using 158s cleared for 90mph via Bolton and Chorley.

themiller

Drivers won't need 'practice', they will be well acquainted with the route and can adjust for the higher permissible speeds. Some services are already being run using 158s cleared for 90mph via Bolton and Chorley.
But the line has a 75MPH limit on it at the moment according to posts up-thread so I would have thought that many more drivers will need familiarisation with the 'new' units on a 'new' route. After all, 319s don't handle like 158s - or do they?

Llama

Established Member
Drivers are used to doing 100mph on 319s or other traction on other routes, and they also know the route via Chorley. No more familiarisation is necessary. 319s are absolutely pitiful above 80mph anyway, they won't get to 100mph via Chorley. The 331s should fare better.

Incidentally 158s have very similar braking characteristics to 319s.

The permissible speed has been increased on plenty of routes in the area recently with no problems, drivers' route knowledge is dynamic enough to adjust for higher approach speeds. Station overruns are a rare issue, indeed there have been several I am aware of via Chorley in recent years, but they are far more likely to be down to complacency/lapses in concentration than anything else, if infrastructure has changed then drivers will adapt and have heightened awareness the first few trips over a route. Significant changes see drivers given classroom briefings before they see the infrastructure in the flesh, a simple increase in line speed doesn't usually warrant a brief.

TBSchenker

But the line has a 75MPH limit on it at the moment according to posts up-thread

That's been clarified it's just a blanket 75mph limit for electric trains (which aren't yet authorised) . As mentioned, 158s (on their own) can run at 90mph, and for what it's worth 185s can run at 80mph. All other DMUs are 75mph max anyway .

Status
Not open for further replies.