• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North announcement chime from early 00's(?) to mid 10's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I have some questions about this.

1. When was it installed?
2. When was it replaced?
3. What was the system called?

I know they have (possibly had) the same chime in the Etihad, would be grateful for any information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
They used the same announcer Virgin Trains used at stations if it's any help?

Elecman

Established Member
It was an original,Ditra system, I was the project manager that installed the systems at Warrington Bank Quay,Wigan Northwestern, Preston, Lancaster and Blackpool North and the Long Line PA system on the Preston to Blackpool South and Ormskirk branches. Was installed in the late 1980s / very early 1990s

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
They used the same announcer Virgin Trains used at stations if it's any help?
It was an original,Ditra system, I was the project manager that installed the systems at Warrington Bank Quay,Wigan Northwestern, Preston, Lancaster and Blackpool North and the Long Line PA system on the Preston to Blackpool South and Ormskirk branches. Was installed in the late 1980s / very early 1990s
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Was that the one that went "Good morning/afternoon, welcome to Wigan North Western!"?

Was that the one that went "Good morning/afternoon, welcome to Wigan North Western!"?
Lancaster one definitely did that, I wonder who the voice was. Sounded very BBC newsreader when pronouncing Heysham Sea Terminal and Oxenholme The Lake District!
I always found it very friendly in tone with mini chime at the start.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I recently heard a recording of that, and I had remembered it wrongly - it was a very posh voice, but more a posh Cheshire type one (i.e. short vowels) whereas I had remembered the accent being more RP.

The chime was the standard BR 3-tone one, which I'm sure is recorded all over the place. Merseyrail for instance used it before a manual announcement.

Did the Ormskirk line long line PA ever work? I don't think I ever heard it used!

Status
Not open for further replies.