Blackpool North Pole?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by 50007, 10 Dec 2019.

1. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Established Member

Scrooge-ley Trent Valley

Perry Bah Humbug

See, I can do humour too, but then I'm not a representative of a failing train operating company....

2. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

I disagree. It doesn't imply Northern are more interested in jokes than running a competent service. They just want to have a a minor, harmless and inoffensive bit of festive fun. All the buses in my area have "Merry Christmas!" written on their destination board if they're not in service. When I had been waiting ten minutes in the rain for a bus, only to find the first one not in service, I at least smiled at the festive and well meaning message.

Some people really need to loosen up...

3. SquireBev

SquireBev Member

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
    It's heartening to see people taking this opportunity to really challenge the negative stereotype of railway enthusiasts...

4. Table 52

Table 52 Member

German Christmas Market Harborough?

5. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

If we get one comment from someone who smiled at this whilst discovering that their train is cancelled then ok, otherwise northern should realise that this is inappropriate and they should have more sense.

To me it shows a lock of competence by their management. They should be able to work out that this will annoy commuters who are already cheesed off with their service.

6. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

I give up. Since when did this country become so pessimistic and depressed? Do you think we'd be having this conversation if a more popular, or in your words, competent TOC did this?

7. greaterwest

greaterwest Member

I believe there were similar moans on this forum three years ago when South West Trains did the same thing.

8. 52290

52290 Member

I was sitting in my train to Blackpool North Pole at Oxford Road yesterday "awaiting a driver". I was full of Christmas cheer having had some Holts Bah Humbrew. I think the driver was still at the North Pole ,but he asked someone the way to Oxford Road. "Just go due south" they said.

9. Trainfan2019

Trainfan2019 Member

As seen this morning...

20191213_095951.jpg

10. SteveM70

SteveM70 Member

actually going to expense of making and installing physical signage as opposed to changing some text in some software takes it to a new level of stupidity.

11. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

12. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

This thread (among other things) has made me lose my faith in humanity.

13. al78

al78 Established Member

So the entire country is depressed and pessimistic because a handful of people on one form criticise one rail company trying to be funny on one occasion?

Since when did people overreact so much because someone else has a different opinion? It is arrogance in the extreme to imply there is something wrong with someone just because they voice an opinion you don't like.

14. al78

al78 Established Member

My faith in humanity was lost a long time ago, and for far more serious reasons than someone thinking a poor rail company shouldn't be trying to engage in festive humour.

15. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

I wasn't trying to imply there was anything wrong with people who don't like this sort of thing. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. I was just commenting that this thread seems to reflect the general mood of the country right now.

I just wish people would be happier and look on the bright side a bit more. I'm sorry if you or anyone else took it the wrong way.

16. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Merry Brow (Berry Brow)
    Stockingsmoor (Stocksmoor)
    Snow Moor (Low Moor)
    Roast Turkey Street (Turkey Street)

Or if we want to be silly...
    Three Briges, Two Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree (Three Bridges)
    which leads to:
    A Partridge in a Peartree (Peartree)
    and:
    Fiii-iive Gold Waaaays! (Five Ways)

Or a really silly one:
    Man-chestnuts Oxford Road-sting on an open fire...

(Didn't even take my coat off- Season's Greetings everyone!) <:D

17. Mathew S

Mathew S Established Member

Hi, that would be me. I'll grant you it might be something to do with my having had about 4 hours sleep since Wednesday morning... but it put a much needed smile on my face this afternoon as I fight with cancelled trains, excorable weather, misplaced birds nests and election induced sleep deprivation.

Now if I can only stay awake long enough to avoid ending up in Barrow.

18. farleigh

farleigh Member

Lighten up !!

19. sw1ller

sw1ller Established Member

Well, I was in a nice, cheery mood this morning......

not anymore. Thanks for that.

20. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

Can't see that its been mentioned but in the 4 renamed places northern have donated money to a local charity

Donna’s Dream House (Blackpool), Barnsley Hospice, Hartlepool Foodbank and The Brain Tumour Charity (Holmes Chapel)

21. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

A little humour at Christmas is more than welcome.
    I hear Northern have a pre-recorded announcement that’s errrm.. ‘oven ready’. All they need is
    • inclement weather
    • a minor station with no shelters
    • service disruption

How passengers will laugh, when the announcement is ‘we are sorry that the next train to _____ is cancelled, but it’s Christmas, and at least you can, at this festive time, look at the rain, dear’
    :)

22. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Established Member

No doubt Northern's donations will either turn up late or end up being cancelled altogether.

23. Trainfan2019

Trainfan2019 Member

I quite like the station name amendments by Northern. Was a nice surprise when I got to Ho Ho Holmes Chapel.

24. SteveM70

SteveM70 Member

Maybe they should have Cancelledton

25. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

I have to agree. I’m happy with the PIS screens being edited - but the signs seem too far for a company supposedly short of money.

26. The Lad

The Lad Member

It is probably part of a budget for promotion and PR

27. SquireBev

SquireBev Member

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
    You mean there are different departments responsible for different aspects of the business?!

But I was all set to get on my high horse and hold a poor underpaid marketing intern personally responsible for the trains running late, and you've ruined my fun. That's not very Christmassy!

28. Bertie the bus

Bertie the bus Established Member

Poorly paid interns don't make decisions in companies. They might make the telephone call to the sign writers but they are not the person who has decided to do it.

When services to Blackpool N Pole showing as cancelled are on social media and mainstream media websites it just shows how inappropriate and stupid this thing is and how it is rightly backfiring.

29. Y Ddraig Coch

Y Ddraig Coch Member

Raising money for 4 local charities, I'm not sure it is inappropriate or back firing.

30. 2L70

2L70 Member

If another Northern Based TOC did this the forum would be full of praise for them ;)