• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North Pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
dammit some people are just so miserable. So much negativity about someone trying to have a little fun and brighten up everyone's day. and surely by now this thread should have turned into a "What other station names could be changed for Christmas?" thread

So I'll start you off:

Christ-mas-church
Barn-Stable
Mangerster Piccadilly
Rain-deer-ham
Sleigh Bells-size Park
Sleigh (instead of Slough)
Santerbury West (and East)

any more?

Scrooge-ley Trent Valley

Perry Bah Humbug

See, I can do humour too, but then I'm not a representative of a failing train operating company....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Because it's inappropriate and a mplies that Northern are more interested in making silly jokes than running a reliable train service. What they're effectively saying is "okay, you're going to be late for work again because we couldn't be bothered to roster anyone to drive your train but right now we're all sat around the office in our Christmas jumpers making puerile festive jokes, so we don't give a ****".

I disagree. It doesn't imply Northern are more interested in jokes than running a competent service. They just want to have a a minor, harmless and inoffensive bit of festive fun. All the buses in my area have "Merry Christmas!" written on their destination board if they're not in service. When I had been waiting ten minutes in the rain for a bus, only to find the first one not in service, I at least smiled at the festive and well meaning message.

Some people really need to loosen up...

Table 52

dammit some people are just so miserable. So much negativity about someone trying to have a little fun and brighten up everyone's day. and surely by now this thread should have turned into a "What other station names could be changed for Christmas?" thread

So I'll start you off:

Christ-mas-church
Barn-Stable
Mangerster Piccadilly
Rain-deer-ham
Sleigh Bells-size Park

any more?

German Christmas Market Harborough?

philthetube

Established Member
If we get one comment from someone who smiled at this whilst discovering that their train is cancelled then ok, otherwise northern should realise that this is inappropriate and they should have more sense.

To me it shows a lock of competence by their management. They should be able to work out that this will annoy commuters who are already cheesed off with their service.

If we get one comment from someone who smiled at this whilst discovering that their train is cancelled then ok, otherwise northern should realise that this is inappropriate and they should have more sense.

To me it shows a lock of competence by their management. They should be able to work out that this will annoy commuters who are already cheesed off with their service.

I give up. Since when did this country become so pessimistic and depressed? Do you think we'd be having this conversation if a more popular, or in your words, competent TOC did this?

I was sitting in my train to Blackpool North Pole at Oxford Road yesterday "awaiting a driver". I was full of Christmas cheer having had some Holts Bah Humbrew. I think the driver was still at the North Pole ,but he asked someone the way to Oxford Road. "Just go due south" they said.

al78

Established Member
I give up. Since when did this country become so pessimistic and depressed? Do you think we'd be having this conversation if a more popular, or in your words, competent TOC did this?

So the entire country is depressed and pessimistic because a handful of people on one form criticise one rail company trying to be funny on one occasion?

Since when did people overreact so much because someone else has a different opinion? It is arrogance in the extreme to imply there is something wrong with someone just because they voice an opinion you don't like.

al78

Established Member
This thread (among other things) has made me lose my faith in humanity.

My faith in humanity was lost a long time ago, and for far more serious reasons than someone thinking a poor rail company shouldn't be trying to engage in festive humour.

So the entire country is depressed and pessimistic because a handful of people on one form criticise one rail company trying to be funny on one occasion?

Since when did people overreact so much because someone else has a different opinion? It is arrogance in the extreme to imply there is something wrong with someone just because they voice an opinion you don't like.

I wasn't trying to imply there was anything wrong with people who don't like this sort of thing. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. I was just commenting that this thread seems to reflect the general mood of the country right now.

I just wish people would be happier and look on the bright side a bit more. I'm sorry if you or anyone else took it the wrong way.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

So I'll start you off:

Christ-mas-church
Barn-Stable
Mangerster Piccadilly
Rain-deer-ham
Sleigh Bells-size Park

any more?
Merry Brow (Berry Brow)
Stockingsmoor (Stocksmoor)
Snow Moor (Low Moor)
Roast Turkey Street (Turkey Street)

Or if we want to be silly...
Three Briges, Two Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree (Three Bridges)
which leads to:
A Partridge in a Peartree (Peartree)
and:
Fiii-iive Gold Waaaays! (Five Ways)

Or a really silly one:
Man-chestnuts Oxford Road-sting on an open fire...

(Didn't even take my coat off- Season's Greetings everyone!) <:D

Mathew S

Established Member

Hi, that would be me. I'll grant you it might be something to do with my having had about 4 hours sleep since Wednesday morning... but it put a much needed smile on my face this afternoon as I fight with cancelled trains, excorable weather, misplaced birds nests and election induced sleep deprivation.

Now if I can only stay awake long enough to avoid ending up in Barrow.

farleigh

I wasn't trying to imply there was anything wrong with people who don't like this sort of thing. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. I was just commenting that this thread seems to reflect the general mood of the country right now.

I just wish people would be happier and look on the bright side a bit more. I'm sorry if you or anyone else took it the wrong way.
Lighten up !!

sw1ller

Established Member
Well, I was in a nice, cheery mood this morning......

not anymore. Thanks for that.

Adam0984

Can't see that its been mentioned but in the 4 renamed places northern have donated money to a local charity

Donna’s Dream House (Blackpool), Barnsley Hospice, Hartlepool Foodbank and The Brain Tumour Charity (Holmes Chapel)

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
A little humour at Christmas is more than welcome.
I hear Northern have a pre-recorded announcement that’s errrm.. ‘oven ready’. All they need is
• inclement weather
• a minor station with no shelters
• service disruption

How passengers will laugh, when the announcement is ‘we are sorry that the next train to _____ is cancelled, but it’s Christmas, and at least you can, at this festive time, look at the rain, dear’
:)

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Can't see that its been mentioned but in the 4 renamed places northern have donated money to a local charity

Donna’s Dream House (Blackpool), Barnsley Hospice, Hartlepool Foodbank and The Brain Tumour Charity (Holmes Chapel)
No doubt Northern's donations will either turn up late or end up being cancelled altogether.

Trainfan2019

I quite like the station name amendments by Northern. Was a nice surprise when I got to Ho Ho Holmes Chapel.

scotrail158713

Established Member
actually going to expense of making and installing physical signage as opposed to changing some text in some software takes it to a new level of stupidity.
I have to agree. I’m happy with the PIS screens being edited - but the signs seem too far for a company supposedly short of money.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Poorly paid interns don't make decisions in companies. They might make the telephone call to the sign writers but they are not the person who has decided to do it.

When services to Blackpool N Pole showing as cancelled are on social media and mainstream media websites it just shows how inappropriate and stupid this thing is and how it is rightly backfiring.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Poorly paid interns don't make decisions in companies. They might make the telephone call to the sign writers but they are not the person who has decided to do it.

When services to Blackpool N Pole showing as cancelled are on social media and mainstream media websites it just shows how inappropriate and stupid this thing is and how it is rightly backfiring.

Raising money for 4 local charities, I'm not sure it is inappropriate or back firing.

2L70

On Moderation
If another Northern Based TOC did this the forum would be full of praise for them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.