• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class195

There is a letter from Chris Jackson, Regional Director, Northern in the latest edition of Today's Railways.
It apologies for the experience of an earlier correspondent and thanks enthusiasts for being extra eyes and ears around the network.
The letter continues to ask for any enthusiasts who wish to visit BPN to sign in and sign out with the station supervisor.
I suspect that every enthusiast signing in and out with the station staff will just make them even more grumpy.

PS Some staff at Blackpool have had an "attitude" since the 1970's and the loco hauled summer Saturday trains across from Yorkshire. Do the local operators going back over the years transfer all the belligerent members of staff to BPN?

But the problems at BPN are not just directed at enthusiasts. As my experience yesterday showed, the problem is their attitude to just about everyone.

Hopefully, in my reply from Northern to my raised complaint, I get some form of commitment to improve the customer service experience at that station because things at this particular station have been dismal for years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Cardiff Central after any event at the Millennium stadium, for one. Queuing systems not just for one train but people often having to wait for the next one. Also crowds segregated out according to destination (rather than 'everyone to Preston' at Blackpool).

Haymarket after events at Murrayfield as well. Queues by destination, and trying to strike a sensible balance between people who are travelling furthest and have least choice of trains, and those not going so far who have more choice

SteveM70

Established Member
Hopefully, in my reply from Northern to my raised complaint, I get some form of commitment to improve the customer service experience at that station because things at this particular station have been dismal for years.

Good luck with that

Your letter will be brought to you by the functions CTRL-C and CTRL-V with a limited amount of personalisation. Most likely thanking you for raising the issue, a passive aggressive “sorry if you feel your experience wasn’t good” (but no actual apology for their staff) and a vague commitment to make the relevant manager aware.

trainophile

Established Member
If this has been going on since the 70s presumably the original batch have long retired, so it seems they leave a culture behind them that infects every new recruit too. I am genuinely surprised that Northern don't even seem to care, after all the whole TOC's reputation is tarnished by a few unpleasant individuals who may even benefit from a training course.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If this has been going on since the 70s presumably the original batch have long retired, so it seems they leave a culture behind them that infects every new recruit too. I am genuinely surprised that Northern don't even seem to care, after all the whole TOC's reputation is tarnished by a few unpleasant individuals who may even benefit from a training course.
Northern isn't one person. It's an organisation. For them to care, there would have to be one person who has some kind of benefit from going through the hard slog of improving the situation, or whose reputation/job was on the line.

There isn't anywhere near sufficient accountability for that to be the case. No-one is going to lose their job because people are put off the railways by bad customer service. And so the Juggernaut goes on.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've just got back from a fun experience at Blackpool North today.

The train going to BPN from Manchester was absolutely crammed full, especially after leaving Preston with passengers taking advantage of the lovely weather and heading to the coast for the day.

On arrival at BPN, we were greeted or unpleasantly frowned upon by two of the station staff.

One of them actually said within earshot of myself another passengers ”####ing hell look at the state of this lot.” Which caused a bit if commotion and complaint from a lady with a pushchair.

Sigh.

If that's true, I wish these staff members would realise how lucky they are in these times to have secure railway jobs (at a very considerable cost to the taxpayer over the last few months).

bramling

Veteran Member
Sigh.

If that's true, I wish these staff members would realise how lucky they are in these times to have secure railway jobs (at a very considerable cost to the taxpayer over the last few months).

I don’t see why people make such a thing about the security of railway jobs. We all take various factors into consideration when choosing where to work - some like the flexibility of being self-employed, others go for salary, some value benefits like annual leave, and others consider job security. It’s a well-known fact that some jobs offer a high level of security, public sector being one, and with that comes a string of trade-offs. Many railway staff for example have to work at extreme times, don’t get bank holidays off, have to bear a heavy safety responsibility, et cetera. The grass is greener and all that.

The railway did what was asked of it over the last few months, in a lot of cases a lot of stops were pulled to deliver a service where in many cases the resources weren’t really there to do it without a lot of juggling and effort by various levels of staff. The main rationale for that cost to the taxpayer was to allow essential workers (and those less essential workers unable to work from home) to get to and from work safety. I’m sure Blackpool North staff will have played their part in that, even if done in their own special way!

mmh

Established Member
I think reporting a staff member for overhearing them swearing is a little harsh. After all, it is Blackpool, not Betty's Tea Rooms!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I don’t see why people make such a thing about the security of railway jobs. We all take various factors into consideration when choosing where to work - some like the flexibility of being self-employed, others go for salary, some value benefits like annual leave, and others consider job security. It’s a well-known fact that some jobs offer a high level of security, public sector being one, and with that comes a string of trade-offs. Many railway staff for example have to work at extreme times, don’t get bank holidays off, have to bear a heavy safety responsibility, et cetera. The grass is greener and all that.

The railway did what was asked of it over the last few months, in a lot of cases a lot of stops were pulled to deliver a service where in many cases the resources weren’t really there to do it without a lot of juggling and effort by various levels of staff. The main rationale for that cost to the taxpayer was to allow essential workers (and those less essential workers unable to work from home) to get to and from work safety. I’m sure Blackpool North staff will have played their part in that, even if done in their own special way!

All well and good, but still gives nobody any right to be derogatory towards the very people they are there to serve (And pay their wages, either directly or indirectly).

Established Member

Indeed.

There’s also a widespread perception that, because the railway is unionised, staff will never be sacked because they will simply run to the union. That couldn’t be further from the truth: the union will provide advice, it will ensure the company follows the correct procedures, and adopts a consistent approach, but that’s about it!

I know of several staff in various grades who have been dismissed over the last few years, either for poor performance or conduct issues. In all cases I’ve been aware of the sackings have been completely justified, but it’s important to point out that the railway really isn’t any more secure than other sectors in that respect.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed.

There’s also a widespread perception that, because the railway is unionised, staff will never be sacked because they will simply run to the union. That couldn’t be further from the truth: the union will provide advice, it will ensure the company follows the correct procedures, and adopts a consistent approach, but that’s about it!

I know of several staff in various grades who have been dismissed over the last few years, either for poor performance or conduct issues. In all cases I’ve been aware of the sackings have been completely justified, but it’s important to point out that the railway really isn’t any more secure than other sectors in that respect.

If somebody feels they can stand in front of their customers and openly be derogatory to them within earshot, it suggests a level of "I can do what i like without repercussions"

Established Member
If somebody feels they can stand in front of their customers and openly be derogatory to them within earshot, it suggests a level of "I can do what i like without repercussions"

To be clear, I’m not defending what has been alleged above in the slightest. That is awful behaviour and should be reported! It does also sound like there is a specific problem with this particular location.

Sadly you get bad apples in every industry.

EDIT: and the “bad apples” become known, and are just as unpopular amongst staff members as with customers. They usually get drummed out, in the end, and rightly so!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
To be clear, I’m not defending what has been alleged above in the slightest. That is awful behaviour and should be reported! It does also sound like there is a specific problem with this particular location.

Sadly you get bad apples in every industry.

OK, get you now.

If you, say, took that attitude of this minority of staff in, say, the hospitality industry, and didn't deal with it, you'd find yourself with a bad reputation and out of business very quickly...

DB

If you, say, took that attitude of this minority of staff in, say, the hospitality industry, and didn't deal with it, you'd find yourself with a bad reputation and out of business very quickly...

WIth the TOCs in many cases having a monopoly (or close to) on rail travel on their routes, the whole 'competition' thing doesn't really apply, unfortunately. If it did, some TOCs (for some reason Northern in all its current abd past guises springs to mind!) would have to up their game considerably.

Trackman

Established Member
Very little about Blackpool North on Geoff's All Train Stations, possibly for legal reasons with Youtube and Northern.
I bet it was something to do with his ticket.
We know there has been problems with ALR's at BPN, but Geoff was on a special ticket issued by the RDG so I guess they told him it's NV.

One of them actually said within earshot of myself another passengers ”####ing hell look at the state of this lot.” Which caused a bit if commotion and complaint from a lady with a pushchair.

I had a similar experience with Northern on the bridge at Piccadilly.
The Mrs went through and I stopped to find my ticket for inspection.
They didn't know we were together and passed comments about her.
I was fuming.
I've also had run ins with Northern guards and dispatchers, who just cant really be bothered or care, I am not saying they all bad but my overall opinion of them is not good to says the least.
Once me and my mate and had to lift a wheelchair with passenger on the train, because of some problem or whatever.
One time the dispatcher left a blind woman on the platform ( I was late for work that day)
another time I stopped a train from leaving (I was on the platform) as the dispatcher did not check the doors properly.

Didn't get a thank you or acknowledgement for any of them.

Anyway, I could rant all day about Northern customer service, well lack of it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
WIth the TOCs in many cases having a monopoly (or close to) on rail travel on their routes, the whole 'competition' thing doesn't really apply, unfortunately. If it did, some TOCs (for some reason Northern in all its current abd past guises springs to mind!) would have to up its game considerably.

Although all TOCs have competition in the form of cars, buses, air travel*. Especially in these times, passengers could easily choose to never come back...

*Maybe not Blackpool for that one...

DB

Although all TOCs have competition in the form of cars, buses, air travel*. Especially in these times, passengers could easily choose to never come back...

Aye, to some extent - but it's not the same level of competition as six hotels all offering basically the same thing in the same place. If you get bad service from one, you just go to another next time.

Established Member

That is true, and is all the more reason why this kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable, and self defeating.

On Moderation
I think reporting a staff member for overhearing them swearing is a little harsh. After all, it is Blackpool, not Betty's Tea Rooms!
It doesn’t matter where it is. That is unacceptable behaviour for an employee in public. It is also evident that this is a long term pattern of behaviour at this location. Raising a complaint is absolutely the right thing to do.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Staff, of any employer in any industry, should not be swearing while representing their employer in public. It's a perfectly valid complaint.

I was quite amused by the odd "oh, f***" on the TPE documentary on Channel 5, but they were all in the cab which is fine.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That is true, and is all the more reason why this kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable, and self defeating.

In seriousness, if passengers don't come back and frequencies get cut, the consequences *will* be redundancies in jobs hitherto considered "secure". Not much point having lots of drivers and station staff and not enough trains for them to drive or supervise.

bramling

Veteran Member
In seriousness, if passengers don't come back and frequencies get cut, the consequences *will* be redundancies in jobs hitherto considered "secure". Not much point having lots of drivers and station staff and not enough trains for them to drive or supervise.

I think we are some way from that point. My place is crying out for operationally-capable staff simply to make up for retirements and natural turnover. Even a hefty and sustained downturn in numbers and consequential cut in services wouldn't massively change this.

trainophile

Established Member
I was wondering whether booking to go to Blackpool South instead would be any better. It doesn't look too far to walk from there to the town centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.