• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
... I can see why letting groups of drunken louts run riot around the station could cause issues for the railway.

I agree and perhaps they do need to have tighter controls, but if you go and ask for permission and they establish you're not drunk etc - surely they can then be nice to you, having their own faith in humanity restored.

Still, I took a photo from a shopping centre car park last week (on the roof, looking down on the road) and got jumped on by security. Told I needed permission to take photos anywhere, for anti-terror reasons and also for the protection of children.. and it didn't end there.

As I walked back to the car having got something to eat in the shopping centre, I was jumped on by two PCSOs asking to see my camera (phone) and the photos. I refused, and then presented my accredited press ID - to which they backtracked a little.

Now I was on private property and they can make up stupid rules if they wish, but I thought getting two PCSOs on me trying to say it's illegal to take photos for anti-terror reasons was a bit much.

I couldn't help but feel that all concerned were on a bit of a power trip, and used the anti-terror line as a way to close debate. I mean, how do you argue against that without sounding like you're a terrorist sympathiser - or maybe actually one yourself?

Thing is, the police know that (bar private property) you CAN take photos and in this day and age, they actively encourage it as photos and video can now be vital evidence. I guess that memo hasn't filtered down to the others...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I have had this experience at Gatwick, told to seek permission from the manager who rejected me.

I've seen people taking photos from the southern end of the platform at Gatwick Airport without any problem, and if using a mobile phone how do they know somebody is taking photographs anyway?

philthetube

Established Member
Back to Blackpool.

Current staff will have been taught by previous as this has been happening for a long time, newcomers will be trained be existing staff and so the situation will be self perpetuating.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've seen people taking photos from the southern end of the platform at Gatwick Airport without any problem, and if using a mobile phone how do they know somebody is taking photographs anyway?

I am sure they watch you on CCTV and can tell from how the phone is held! Maybe you say you were just watching Netflix with the phone held up pointed at a train?

Antman

Established Member
I am sure they watch you on CCTV and can tell from how the phone is held! Maybe you say you were just watching Netflix with the phone held up pointed at a train?

Don't staff have better things to do? I must say I've always found the platform staff at Gatwick Airport to be nice enough as are the armed police who are sometimes present.

rebmcr

Established Member
It will be interesting to see whether Virgin have any staff present post-electrification, Lime Street style. That sounds like it will be an entirely different culture, with customer service policies newer than 40 years old!

LowLevel

Established Member
It seems to be a coastal "resort" thing: Newquay and Skegness have similarly over-officious staff, especially in the summer. Perhaps they get some sort of kick out of it?

Skegness is done for a number of reasons.

Firstly the trains come in looking like they've had the rear end of a dust cart spray rubbish up the inside and the only way to get them cleanish is to do it quickly in the time available without climbing all over passengers and luggage.

Secondly the trains are tanked there and owing to the platform layouts the hoses are everywhere, and that's a modern risk assessment process for you. They can't be tanked at Nottingham at present so the only way to manage a round trip is to make sure they're done properly at Skegness.

Thirdly all the dross and idiots in the world travel from there and make the station staff and traincrew's lives hell. If we can't weed out any dangerous types (it's rare to go a year without the station staff having guns, knives etc pulled on them) or fare evaders at the barrier then we are stuck with them until we can get police out from Nottingham, Peterborough or Lincoln. Boston and Sleaford stations are only manned part time and after that you're on your own for a long distance. The trains are often also so full in summer that the only way to do an effective revenue check is to do it at the barrier and it also allows Scummies who won't fold push chairs etc to be locked out until they do.

Finally having a charge can cause fights and arguments to occur whereas the barriers allow us to 'drip' the passenger flow.

Sorry if it makes enthusiasm difficult but it's really one of those locations where I'm not interested in anything other than staying safe. We've had numerous staff assaults this year, yet again, and it's done the way it is to try and keep violent issues to a minimum. These places attract a lot of scummers who are difficult to manage at the best of times and allowing a free for all does not work out well. This year's tactic has involved station staff, train guards, and managers from all over the business descending to process people as quickly as possible and safety in numbers does help.

Skegness station maintains year round staffing from opening to closing because otherwise it would not be a safe environment and the staff tend to behave accordingly.

That being said, if at a quieter time you ask to go and take some photos of the signals or whatever I can't imagine the staff refusing you. Don't expect to be accommodated at peak times though because the situation with overcrowding has reached critical levels with people being left behind from many trains and the staff are unlikely to be minded to go out of their way for hobbyists. Also don't expect to be allowed to board the train without rejoining the queue as the customers in question are not fond of queue jumpers.

It's sad that this is how it is, but that seems to be the lot for these kind of places now.

If I never had to go there again it would be too soon which is a shame as it's a hugely interesting railway line from an enthusiast perspective - but I think the amount of times I've been threatened and sexually assaulted (I am sick of ****ed up hen parties grabbing my genitals, I'd be thrown in prison if the boot was on the other foot) and colleagues have actually been physically and verbally assaulted means I'd be quite happy for it to be ripped up and closed - it's just non stop problems from April to October and again on Fridays and Sundays for the Butlins theme weekends all winter and I dread going up there.

Last edited:

Established Member
Given the stations reputation, this Northern poster is rather odd!
3b8c949be9c010081ac60ad8877f856a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Antman

Established Member
Skegness is done for a number of reasons.

Firstly the trains come in looking like they've had the rear end of a dust cart spray rubbish up the inside and the only way to get them cleanish is to do it quickly in the time available without climbing all over passengers and luggage.

Secondly the trains are tanked there and owing to the platform layouts the hoses are everywhere, and that's a modern risk assessment process for you. They can't be tanked at Nottingham at present so the only way to manage a round trip is to make sure they're done properly at Skegness.

Thirdly all the dross and idiots in the world travel from there and make the station staff and traincrew's lives hell. If we can't weed out any dangerous types (it's rare to go a year without the station staff having guns, knives etc pulled on them) or fare evaders at the barrier then we are stuck with them until we can get police out from Nottingham, Peterborough or Lincoln. Boston and Sleaford stations are only manned part time and after that you're on your own for a long distance. The trains are often also so full in summer that the only way to do an effective revenue check is to do it at the barrier and it also allows Scummies who won't fold push chairs etc to be locked out until they do.

Finally having a charge can cause fights and arguments to occur whereas the barriers allow us to 'drip' the passenger flow.

Sorry if it makes enthusiasm difficult but it's really one of those locations where I'm not interested in anything other than staying safe. We've had numerous staff assaults this year, yet again, and it's done the way it is to try and keep violent issues to a minimum. These places attract a lot of scummers who are difficult to manage at the best of times and allowing a free for all does not work out well. This year's tactic has involved station staff, train guards, and managers from all over the business descending to process people as quickly as possible and safety in numbers does help.

Skegness station maintains year round staffing from opening to closing because otherwise it would not be a safe environment and the staff tend to behave accordingly.

That being said, if at a quieter time you ask to go and take some photos of the signals or whatever I can't imagine the staff refusing you. Don't expect to be accommodated at peak times though because the situation with overcrowding has reached critical levels with people being left behind from many trains and the staff are unlikely to be minded to go out of their way for hobbyists. Also don't expect to be allowed to board the train without rejoining the queue as the customers in question are not fond of queue jumpers.

It's sad that this is how it is, but that seems to be the lot for these kind of places now.

If I never had to go there again it would be too soon which is a shame as it's a hugely interesting railway line from an enthusiast perspective - but I think the amount of times I've been threatened and sexually assaulted (I am sick of ****ed up hen parties grabbing my genitals, I'd be thrown in prison if the boot was on the other foot) and colleagues have actually been physically and verbally assaulted means I'd be quite happy for it to be ripped up and closed - it's just non stop problems from April to October and again on Fridays and Sundays for the Butlins theme weekends all winter and I dread going up there.

Skeggy is actually quite pleasant out of season, well apart from the Butlins weekends that you mentioned;)!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It seems to be a coastal "resort" thing: Newquay and Skegness have similarly over-officious staff, especially in the summer. Perhaps they get some sort of kick out of it?

Penzance doesn't seem to have this problem, in my experience, though whether it's a 'resort' is another matter!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given the stations reputation, this Northern poster is rather odd!
3b8c949be9c010081ac60ad8877f856a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
You don't want to know the message written on the ticket that is being handed to you...!

On Moderation
Penzance doesn't seem to have this problem, in my experience, though whether it's a 'resort' is another matter!
I'd question Newquay, Skegness and Blackpool for that too!

To borrow the lyrics from Morrissey, they are "the coastal towns they forgot to close down".

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's a very nice place to stay. Has the best carvery I've ever experienced at any rate !

It's quite a nice place to live, but don't let on! As a matter of interest, which carvery? I don't often go to one, partly because I've experienced some lousy ones, especially in Cornwall.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
They should do.

You get new staff who get a buzz from the excitement of the role. This normally wears off after a few weeks, but some people retain it. From a staff's perspective these people can be a right pain to work with too.

I get the impression that it's the cleaners and other support staff who seem to be the rudest and most prone to shouting at or ordering passengers about. These will be staff who have had little to no training in how to interact with passengers, and I suspect that a culture of being too strict has filtered across from management towards support staff, and has been tolerated despite it being no way to run a station in the current day and age.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's quite a nice place to live, but don't let on! As a matter of interest, which carvery? I don't often go to one, partly because I've experienced some lousy ones, especially in Cornwall.

The Lugger Hotel on the seafront. Does an amazing range of vegetables :D

Established Member
Thing is, the police know that (bar private property) you CAN take photos and in this day and age, they actively encourage it as photos and video can now be vital evidence. I guess that memo hasn't filtered down to the others...

How I wish that were true...

QueensCurve

Established Member

At least Skegness has the benefit of being "Bracing".

attachment.php

Attachments

• skegness-is-so-bracing-2802863[1].jpg
    skegness-is-so-bracing-2802863[1].jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 389

Clip

Established Member
I think if there was ever a fire in the station building the only way out is either through the ticket barriers or the exit at the opposite end where the emergency release for the doors is behind the large plant located there when I was last there. You would not be able to get on the platforms as the doors are all locked and not fitted with emergency exit push bars.
The local fire officer should make a visit and see what he thinks of the arrangements in case of fire.

Im pretty sure they get their fire certificate signed off every time or else they couldnt operate it so im not sure why you think a fire officer would would think any different.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I went to Skegness, for the first time in years, this summer. On a Saturday on the HST. I thought the station was well organised given the huge volume of people arriving on the HST, and a full HST of people waiting to get back on. When I was waiting for the last HST of the day back to Derby, they let spotters onto the platform who wanted to take photos without issue.

Blackpool North are shocking. Given the Hen and Stag do's also use Blackpool South without incident, I don't see the why the staff have to be like that. It still doesn't explain why they have to be like that when just normal families are there too! They have always been the same, and think they always will be, You can complain as much as you like about it, but nothing changes.

xc170

I went to Skegness, for the first time in years, this summer. On a Saturday on the HST. I thought the station was well organised given the huge volume of people arriving on the HST, and a full HST of people waiting to get back on. When I was waiting for the last HST of the day back to Derby, they let spotters onto the platform who wanted to take photos without issue.

Blackpool North are shocking. Given the Hen and Stag do's also use Blackpool South without incident, I don't see the why the staff have to be like that. It still doesn't explain why they have to be like that when just normal families are there too! They have always been the same, and think they always will be, You can complain as much as you like about it, but nothing changes.

I did the same, summer HST up on a Saturday, it was quite pleasant until Nottingham when an entire council estate got on, never known a journey like it.

Established Member
I've just been ordered off the platforms at Blackpool North-I was seeing friends off, who had boarded the train. The dispatcher who approached me, after confirming I hadn't wanted to board the train gave the tip to the guard to depart and said that people can sometimes stay on platforms and jump under trains-but made it very clear that he wasn't suggesting I was going to do that.

I've no issue with the way the request was made, and at that particular station on a Saturday night it probably isn't excessively unreasonable sadly.

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I've just been ordered off the platforms at Blackpool North-I was seeing friends off, who had boarded the train. The dispatcher who approached me, after confirming I hadn't wanted to board the train gave the tip to the guard to depart and said that people stay on platforms and jump under trains-but made it very clear that he wasn't suggesting I was going to do that.

I've no issue with the way the request was made, and at that particular station on a Saturday night it probably isn't excessively unreasonable sadly.

Unless there has been a recent change that member of staff was not a dispatcher but a "door supervisor" (meaning the concourse to platform doors). In practice they have a good relationship with guards as all concerned are aware of the sorts of problems which can arise there so it can sometimes appear that they are dispatching trains.

Established Member
Unless there has been a recent change that member of staff was not a dispatcher but a "door supervisor" (meaning the concourse to platform doors). In practice they have a good relationship with guards as all concerned are aware of the sorts of problems which can arise there so it can sometimes appear that they are dispatching trains.

I'm back at the station to travel home-cages released 3 minutes before departure!

swanhill41

The reason that they do not like spotters on platform is that it is and has always been a closed station...The gates are for passenger control and to have other persons on platform means issues with knowing where people are.
I worked on rail replacement there,2005 to 2010 and found the staff pretty ok,and in fact pre the modern barriers were a bit easy going,bar if you tried to go through the platform gates.
Trainspotters have to remember that a station is a controlled area,and that with all H&S and insurance issues,they can dictate what you can of can't do...Must say though some of the passengers at weekends were interesting to say the least!!

furnessvale

Established Member
I'm back at the station to travel home-cages released 3 minutes before departure!
When I worked there (not in any position to alter things) I saw the biggest inconvenience to passengers was the late opening of gates before train departure causing apprehension amongst some that they may miss the train.

lincolnshire

The reason that they do not like spotters on platform is that it is and has always been a closed station...The gates are for passenger control and to have other persons on platform means issues with knowing where people are.
I worked on rail replacement there,2005 to 2010 and found the staff pretty ok,and in fact pre the modern barriers were a bit easy going,bar if you tried to go through the platform gates.
Trainspotters have to remember that a station is a controlled area,and that with all H&S and insurance issues,they can dictate what you can of can't do...Must say though some of the passengers at weekends were interesting to say the least!!

So if Blackpool North is a closed station as described above are there anymore closed stations then?
Should we make Kings Cross or Birmingham New Street closed stations then?

As I think if you tried that method of working there then it would be utter chaos.

Think the best bet would be to demolish the whole place and start again with a new station and new staff and lets see how the place performs then.

Wonder what Northerns higher management think of the situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.