• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancasterRed

The story about the defibrillator is disgusting but unsurprising.

The best approach is definitely to bombard Nothern with complaints, and use the local press. Lancs Live I find to be largely excellent especially given the likely fall of the Lancashire Post within the next few months.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class195

I'm taking the family to Blackpool tomorrow so I'll report back with the latest customer satisfaction survey.

1D54

Surely the staff are aware of the comments made on this forum and more importantly people who are in a position to do something about the situation.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Surely the staff are aware of the comments made on this forum and more importantly people who are in a position to do something about the situation.
Geoff Marshall had a run in with them when he did ATS and tweeted at Northern about his experience, so they know.

38Cto15E

Very little about Blackpool North on Geoff's All Train Stations, possibly for legal reasons with Youtube and Northern.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I honestly wouldn't mess with Geoff. I wouldn't be surprised if he had links to Putin and Kim-Jong Un :D

He's a great guy and I subscribe religiously to his videos but I can see him getting very nasty when things don't go his way. Same with Janek Rubes of Honest Guide in Prague. Anyway that latter is getting a little off-topic.

trainophile

Established Member
I have just accidentally booked e-tickets for a trip to BPN at the end of this month (the accident was booking e-tickets instead of paper ones). Not too clear on using these, presumably the QR thing in my iPhone Apple Wallet is the relevant bit, so do I just scan this at the ticket barriers? Should I expect any hassle, given the comments on this thread?

Elecman

Established Member
I have just accidentally booked e-tickets for a trip to BPN at the end of this month (the accident was booking e-tickets instead of paper ones). Not too clear on using these, presumably the QR thing in my iPhone Apple Wallet is the relevant bit, so do I just scan this at the ticket barriers? Should I expect any hassle, given the comments on this thread?
Only if your e-ticket doesn't operate the barriers !! You’ll still be penned in the concourse until almost the last 2-3 minutes before departure

Class195

I've just got back from a fun experience at Blackpool North today.

The train going to BPN from Manchester was absolutely crammed full, especially after leaving Preston with passengers taking advantage of the lovely weather and heading to the coast for the day.

On arrival at BPN, we were greeted or unpleasantly frowned upon by two of the station staff.

One of them actually said within earshot of myself another passengers ”####ing hell look at the state of this lot.” Which caused a bit if commotion and complaint from a lady with a pushchair.

I've emailed Northern this evening with a description of the member of staff about that unnecessary comment.

When walking slowly through the doors and onto the concourse I discovered only one of the barriers was being used to exit the station.

It was only as we waddled closer towards it that the member of staff who was sat on a seat next to it guarding it had in fact placed some black masking tape over the sensor to keep it open for people to just walk out.

So despite seeing three members of station staff, zero ticket checks on the train or at the barriers.

On my return journey home I was again not required to show any ticket and just walked through the open barriers on to the concourse.

One member of staff shouted at a couple who were deemed to not be social distancing at the new phone charger point.

I'm not sure if this was here on my last visit but it's just to the right of the barriers and you can plug your phone into one of the numerous phone chargers supplied by Northern.

That member of staffs comments was interesting because the doors to the platform only opened seven minutes before departure and by that time everyone was in a lengthy queue with guess what - zero social distancing. So why not open the doors earlier to avoid a huge queue so that everyone has room and fresh air out on the platforms?

It's unbelievable the level of rudeness one has to experience when visiting this station.

Sadly, on today's experience, nothing has changed.

Why even have the staff on site if they are not needed? They would be better keeping the glass doors open from first train to last and keep the barriers open without the need for the member of staff to put masking tape over the sensor letting everyone in and out without tickets being checked.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Contacting the local and railway media to highlight this would be a good idea too.

bramling

Veteran Member

The train going to BPN from Manchester was absolutely crammed full, especially after leaving Preston with passengers taking advantage of the lovely weather and heading to the coast for the day.

On arrival at BPN, we were greeted or unpleasantly frowned upon by two of the station staff.

One of them actually said within earshot of myself another passengers ”####ing hell look at the state of this lot.” Which caused a bit if commotion and complaint from a lady with a pushchair.

I've emailed Northern this evening with a description of the member of staff about that unnecessary comment.

When walking slowly through the doors and onto the concourse I discovered only one of the barriers was being used to exit the station.

It was only as we waddled closer towards it that the member of staff who was sat on a seat next to it guarding it had in fact placed some black masking tape over the sensor to keep it open for people to just walk out.

So despite seeing three members of station staff, zero ticket checks on the train or at the barriers.

On my return journey home I was again not required to show any ticket and just walked through the open barriers on to the concourse.

One member of staff shouted at a couple who were deemed to not be social distancing at the new phone charger point.

I'm not sure if this was here on my last visit but it's just to the right of the barriers and you can plug your phone into one of the numerous phone chargers supplied by Northern.

That member of staffs comments was interesting because the doors to the platform only opened seven minutes before departure and by that time everyone was in a lengthy queue with guess what - zero social distancing. So why not open the doors earlier to avoid a huge queue so that everyone has room and fresh air out on the platforms?

It's unbelievable the level of rudeness one has to experience when visiting this station.

Sadly, on today's experience, nothing has changed.

Why even have the staff on site if they are not needed? They would be better keeping the glass doors open from first train to last and keep the barriers open without the need for the member of staff to put masking tape over the sensor letting everyone in and out without tickets being checked.

Keeping passengers in the cramped and congested holding area does seem rather incompatible with social distancing. I wonder whether if this is brought to Northern's corporate attention whether this may be the nudge they need to change their method of working?!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

I would also email them about/include in your email if not already sent

On another note
Contacting the local and railway media to highlight this would be a good idea too.
I hope the OP took pictures of the lack off social distancing caused by not opening the doors for that to happen.

johntea

Established Member
I've always found the 'front line' staff at Blackpool hard work, but the staff in the ticket office absolutely fantastic

Haven't been to Blackpool since 2016, I got fed up with the booze cruise trains, the booze mile full of stag and hen dos and there is just something about the atmosphere in general that puts me off the place, Scarborough and Brid just feel a lot more 'peaceful' to me, although I did have a trip out to Morecambe yesterday which was a nice day out even if it does give out that feel of the 'forgotten' Blackpool! (the Northern guard on the Lancaster to Morecambe service also had more customer service skills in the 10 minute journey than some others have shown on a 2 hour journey!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Keeping passengers in the cramped and congested holding area does seem rather incompatible with social distancing. I wonder whether if this is brought to Northern's corporate attention whether this may be the nudge they need to change their method of working?!

Queueing is a valid option, but you'd think they'd set up proper distanced queueing, e.g. outside on the car park.

nlogax

Established Member
Someone recently put in a Freedom of Information request for a full list of complaints received about Blackpool North, and Northern responded with a sizeable amount of data stretching back two years. If you look beyond punctuality / reliability, "Staff Conduct & Availability" seems to be the common theme. Northern are evidently aware and any complaints you make will just be added to this pile.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/complaints_that_you_have_receive_2#incoming-1600047

"Complaints that you have received regarding Blackpool North railway station.
Paul Watson made this Freedom of Information request to Northern Trains Limited

Romsey

There is a letter from Chris Jackson, Regional Director, Northern in the latest edition of Today's Railways.
It apologies for the experience of an earlier correspondent and thanks enthusiasts for being extra eyes and ears around the network.
The letter continues to ask for any enthusiasts who wish to visit BPN to sign in and sign out with the station supervisor.
I suspect that every enthusiast signing in and out with the station staff will just make them even more grumpy.

PS Some staff at Blackpool have had an "attitude" since the 1970's and the loco hauled summer Saturday trains across from Yorkshire. Do the local operators going back over the years transfer all the belligerent members of staff to BPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.