• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Unfortunately no such destination exists. Is there any way for me to do Bolton - Blackpool South, then Blackpool North back to Bolton on one ticket, or would I just have to buy two singles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
There have been posts on here saying that the guards apply common sense and will accept tickets to Blackpool North on the route to Blackpool South (which isn't more expensive).

I'm sure it would be better if this was formalised, so that passengers know what the situation is before they board. I guess the worst they can possibly do is charge a full-fare from Kirkham and Wesham, but I doubt that they would.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The worst they can do is a zero excess surely?

Technically, no. Where you are deviating from the route to a different destination then a new fare becomes payable for the portion of the journey not covered by the original ticket, subject of course to normal split ticketing rules.

RJ

Established Member
Thanks for the advice all. In the end I bought a Northern Day Ranger and also did the Clitheroe Branch.

If anyone tells you that BPN to BPS is a short walk, be cautious! It took me 30 minutes (I walked along the Promenade) and I was hotfooting it most of the way as. A bus number 68 runs along the Promenade and terminates around the corner from BPS.

WestCoast

Established Member
I live on the South Fylde line (served by the Colne to Blackpool South service) and use it every day. The guards will accept a Blackpool North ticket for travel to Blackpool South and vice versa.

The barriers at Blackpool North will even accept a Blackpool South ticket. Common sense has been applied by Northern and TPE I feel.

"Blackpool Stations" as a formal group of stations for the purpose of ticketing did exist some years ago, although I suspect the reason why it was split is due to ORCATS and to record passenger numbers more accurately.

rowdyman60

Unfortunately no such destination exists. Is there any way for me to do Bolton - Blackpool South, then Blackpool North back to Bolton on one ticket, or would I just have to buy two singles?

I travel often from Chorley to bps and walk along the prom, travelling back from bpn, I always ask for a day return to blackpool, the ticket clerk always issues a bpn return, never asks which station, the conductor always says "you do know we are going to bps don't you" but never says it's any problem, and the ticket does say bpn by any permissable route.!!:

Lampshade

Established Member
As a general rule the Blackpool North ticket covers travel to both. You'll be fine on Northern either way and the Blackpool South ticket should be accepted on TPE but they don't get any money from it, but again, common sense is usually applied.

umontu

My mother a few years back got on a service from Kirkham & Wesham to Blackpool South with a Blackpool North ticket. I think the guard could tell she'd have to pay a tram ticket anyways so he let her off and just said "Sorry dear you've got the wrong train."

Whether this is a standard practise or not I'd not like to comment, highly doubt it though.

WestCoast

Established Member
Whether this is a standard practise or not I'd not like to comment, highly doubt it though.

I do it all the time and among Northern guards at least, it is pretty much standard practice. Never once been refused. They usually say "you know this train is heading for North/South?" and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.