• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Blackpool has just ordered two more Flexity trams to be delivered in autumn 2017. Presumably these will be numbered 017 and 018.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
These the identified requirement for the extension I take it.

Could be a good sign as last i heard the council had delayed making the final sign off on the extension and was wobbling over the cost.

Last edited:
These the identified requirement for the extension I take it.

Could be a good sign as last i heard the council had delayed making the final sign off on the extension and was wobbling over the cost.

Report in gazette.
Blackpool Transport bosses are promising a boost in services on key sections of the resort’s tramway, should an extension be approved...........

IMO this short extension represents poor value for money.
Now they have decided to demolish Wilkinsons (Site of original North Station) to create a terminus
The tram should go on to Layton eventually.
The poor design of the new Gateway area, and not having a bus /rail transport hub at North Station - New Sainsburys takes up most of the space etc.
Link in readers comment to Council planning for scheme.

Read more: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/transport/extension-key-to-tram-boost-1-7979665#ixzz4CruK4Njw

WestCoast

Established Member
The comments in the Gazette are as positive as usual :lol:

I don't think anyone will shed a tear for the Wilkinsons building! It would be a fine place for an interchange. I do remember my Dad taking me in there back when it was "Food Giant", but I am sure Wilkinsons will find similar premises elsewhere. In fact, aren't some of the units next to Sainsbury's still unoccupied?

I have always thought the extension makes sense. You've got the hoardes of people that arrive at North Station in the summer wanting to get to the Central and South promenades. Fleetwood would probably be best served through the reopening of the branch line from Poulton but it's not a terrible solution and works well for Bispham and Cleveleys too.

Chrism20

Established Member
Provision for Wilko has apparently already been made IIRC.

The proposed extension to Hounds Hill rings a bell and there is also the BHS store in Market Street which presumably will be empty soon.

Wilko will be missed more by parkers than shoppers I think as the car park has great weekly/monthly season tickets available which are way cheaper than the council car parks.

A lot of the local buses (about half the services in the local area) stop at the two bus stops next to the station underpass already so that can be easily incorporated into the plans.

Elecman

Established Member
Would be even better if they reintroduced the service to Layton and along Whitegate Drive/ Waterloo Road to Blackpool a South then along the South line to Lytham and Kirkham

WestCoast

Established Member
Would be even better if they reintroduced the service to Layton and along Whitegate Drive/ Waterloo Road to Blackpool a South then along the South line to Lytham and Kirkham

Yes, it would be great. The modern tram service has been a real winner, despite its many doubters who said it could never work. The trams are now busy with locals and tourists alike. Sadly I can't see the extensions you mention happening anytime soon due to funding constraints.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Ideally you'd have a service pattern like the original Metrolink timetable in Manchester.

From Fleetwood every other tram goes to Starr Gate, every other tram to Blackpool North.

Same situation from Starr Gate end.

With possibly a slightly increased frequency of every 7/8 minutes combined to offset the reduced number of trams operating straight down the coast.

PR1Berske

Established Member
For many years have people discussed (often on the forum and others like it) the conversion of the South line to tram or train-tram, and for many years have those discussions been trampled under the mulch of financial realities. It's a great dream, though.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ideally you'd have a service pattern like the original Metrolink timetable in Manchester.

From Fleetwood every other tram goes to Starr Gate, every other tram to Blackpool North.

Same situation from Starr Gate end.

With possibly a slightly increased frequency of every 7/8 minutes combined to offset the reduced number of trams operating straight down the coast.

Does the promenade disrupt the service much in summer? If so it might be better to have separate services from North station to Fleetwood and to Starr Gate, with summer-only or heritage service providing the through service along the coast (but probably not all the way to Fleetwood). Outside the summer or Illuminations period the two routes could be interworked at North Station to provide through journeys.

johntea

Established Member
I have to say as an infrequent Blackpool visitor I've always thought it a bit of a pain getting off at North station then having to walk to the piers as required.

Saying that Scarborough and Bridlington stations aren't exactly next to the sea front either :lol:

That Wilkinson building / car park is a bit of an eye sore too, then again I've always thought that of the entire area surrounding North station (It has got better in recent years though!)

The tramway is closed between North and Central Piers during Illuminations Switch On, and any events taking place on the Tower headland.

More likely Fleetwood /Cleveleys residents would take a bus / taxi to Poulton to catch a train.
Imo the tram service to North Station chould be run as a branch, with possibly some running from Pleasure Beach to North Station.
Tourists coming to stay in the resort would more likely take a taxi to their digs, especially if they brought several items of luggage.
Sightseers will enjoy a tour de Town included with their jouney along the Prom. Maybe some Heritage tours should include a trip up Talbot road and back to the Prom!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Already happens in Fleetwood and has done for many, many decades. ??????

There can be a difference between a new operation and a very similar one that is already established. Also don't they close Lord Street when heritage trams run (anything older than a Balloon in this case)?

Elecman

Established Member
They don't close the section between North Pier and the other side of the metropole hotel when is on street running

edwin_m

Veteran Member
They don't close the section between North Pier and the other side of the metropole hotel when is on street running

That section is now segregated I think.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Noted. We just have to wait and see what is decided.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Originally Posted by edwin_m View Post
There can be a difference between a new operation and a very similar one that is already established. Also don't they close Lord Street when heritage trams run (anything older than a Balloon in this case)?
http://bgseven.com/Bath%2040.jpg

Here is Bolton 66 at Fleetwood on 6th August; there were no road closures anywhere at all. Not even in Hopton Road / Lytham Road when it was emerging from the depot.

Attachments

• Aug 2016 188 reduced size version.jpg
    Aug 2016 188 reduced size version.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 73

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Here is Bolton 66 at Fleetwood on 6th August; there were no road closures anywhere at all. Not even in Hopton Road / Lytham Road when it was emerging from the depot.

Isn't that what my picture showed? I.e. no road closures? Unsure why you've quoted me... :s

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Just backing you up with more evidence - but a different tram. :)

Noted several posts back that heritage trams are allowed to share with other traffic in Lord Street. But it doesn't address my point that it might be a grandfather right and might not be allowed on a new piece of track.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
DfT notifying it has received Blackpool's application for a Transport & Works order for the link to Blackpool North. Any objections must be in by 26 Aug.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2574088

I know the local taxi and private hire industry isnt happy I do hope this gets an easy eide otherwise, its just what the area needs and will be a huge success from Day 1

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Noted several posts back that heritage trams are allowed to share with other traffic in Lord Street. But it doesn't address my point that it might be a grandfather right and might not be allowed on a new piece of track.

I have a senior contact within Blackpool Transport - I will ask.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
My understanding is that, currently, there is no provision for heritage trams running to North station because it hasn't been built and formally approved.

Once that approval comes a further derogation from the RVAR act will be sought to allow both modified Balloons and the heritage cars to operate along the extension.

WestCoast

Established Member
You rarely see the modified balloons on normal services anyway, wish they brought them out more often but they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.