• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towers

Established Member
Back to 16 trams operational now.
004 has been awaiting spares since 10/2019.
018 has been awaiting repairs since it's RTC at Rossall back in 05/2021.
The system goes to an 11 tram TT starting Sunday 12th June.
Yikes, waiting since 2019?! Is that Covid related?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yes 003 has been out several times since January but never lasted more than a day. That's the problem with intermittent faults, we can only fix it when it appears lol.
It's certainly one of the better ones to drive!

Also the PPIs and TCLs at Talbot Square are now fully operational

AY1975

Established Member
You will still be able to ride the traditional trams in heritage services for nostalgia AND ride the modern trams for convenience, not much different from vintage buses at transport events today.
I can't find any reference to day tickets that are valid both on the heritage tram tours and on the normal service trams, though, either on the Blackpool Transport website or on the Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours site.

Before the Covid pandemic you used to be able to get day tickets for £11 (£6 child) that were valid on heritage and normal trams, but I am guessing that these have now been withdrawn.

The heritage tram tours also now appear to be primarily book in advance (in which case withdrawing those tickets would seem logical), although the Heritage Tram Tours website does say that you can turn up and ride if there is space but there is no guarantee that you will be able to do so, whereas before the pandemic you could just turn up and ride.

I can't find any reference to day tickets that are valid both on the heritage tram tours and on the normal service trams, though, either on the Blackpool Transport website or on the Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours site.

Before the Covid pandemic you used to be able to get day tickets for £11 (£6 child) that were valid on heritage and normal trams, but I am guessing that these have now been withdrawn.

The heritage tram tours also now appear to be primarily book in advance (in which case withdrawing those tickets would seem logical), although the Heritage Tram Tours website does say that you can turn up and ride if there is space but there is no guarantee that you will be able to do so, whereas before the pandemic you could just turn up and ride.
We do have the option on our ticket machines to sell heritage tickets which are £18 adult and £9 child. I *think* these are effectively day tickets that can be used on the heritage tours plus the normal bus and tram network but I'm not too sure precisely on their validity, so will double check when I'm next at work.

Skymonster

Established Member
Just a quick shout out for the twice-weekly Rigby Road (Tramtown) depot tours being run by Heritage Trams. I had a thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating visit a week ago, adeptly and informatively guided by “Bolton Bob” and Carol, and I recommend anyone in the area to book - its not expensive, and the income contributes to the urgently needed roof repairs. Visits pass through all areas including the paint, electrical and restoration shops as well as the main depot shed. I believe there are more than 50 trams on site, some of which haven’t run for many years but are totally unique, meaning the tour is the best oportunity to see them at present. In the future, it’s hoped the site will become a working museum supporting both the operation and restoration of the collection, but as always this is subject to funding.
F471A80D-F35B-4724-9B09-8BB7D2BF19E4.jpegABBFD020-6846-4C1A-A957-4135CEE4D95C.jpeg30E50150-2EDE-4502-AF8E-44A5B8A878C0.jpeg

Last edited:

davehsug

Just back from a few days in Blackpool and pleased to report that the service was adequate. There were even a couple of "mystery" specials running during the day to Bispham or Little Bispham, although they weren't to be relied upon, and were always appearing at the wrong time! The only heritage vehicle I saw was 700, although how a 1930s tram operating with 60s/70s bus seats downstairs can be called heritage escapes me. I won't pay the exhorbitant price anyway, having purchased a 7 day ticket for 4 days travel, I think there should at least be a discount. Of course I might pay if there was ever to be an operable Coronation!

Towers

Established Member
Just back from a few days in Blackpool and pleased to report that the service was adequate. There were even a couple of "mystery" specials running during the day to Bispham or Little Bispham, although they weren't to be relied upon, and were always appearing at the wrong time! The only heritage vehicle I saw was 700, although how a 1930s tram operating with 60s/70s bus seats downstairs can be called heritage escapes me. I won't pay the exhorbitant price anyway, having purchased a 7 day ticket for 4 days travel, I think there should at least be a discount. Of course I might pay if there was ever to be an operable Coronation!
It's hard not to agree that the decision to ruin 700 by including it in the 'Fat Door' conversion was a very poor one indeed, but at least it isn't still in the purple livery in which it looked absolutely awful! :(

I think you have to consider that the heritage tour tickets are supporting a truly wonderful operation, one that we are truly fortunate exists at all, and are not just there as a money making venture. I'm long overdue a visit and will very much be wanting to partake when I finally do!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It's hard not to agree that the decision to ruin 700 by including it in the 'Fat Door' conversion was a very poor one indeed, but at least it isn't still in the purple livery in which it looked absolutely awful!
I would think any future tram order would probably eradicate the converted Balloons.

davehsug

Just wondering about the single decker shown in th depot pictore above. The front seems to be a railcoach rather than a Brush Car. I wasn't aware that there was one being restored, but I'm, delighted to see it!

Towers

Established Member
I would think any future tram order would probably eradicate the converted Balloons.
I was under the impression that they rarely if ever see any frontline use in ther intended role supporting the main fleet?

DanNCL

Established Member
Just wondering about the single decker shown in th depot pictore above. The front seems to be a railcoach rather than a Brush Car. I wasn't aware that there was one being restored, but I'm, delighted to see it!
It is indeed a railcoach. It’s being restored to streamlined condition as railcoach 279, from its previous flat fronted condition as Twin Motor car 679.

I was under the impression that they rarely if ever see any frontline use in ther intended role supporting the main fleet?
It’s exceptionally rare but has happened on a very limited number of occasions. It’s almost always unannounced when it does happen.

davehsug

It is indeed a railcoach. It’s being restored to streamlined condition as railcoach 279, from its previous flat fronted condition as Twin Motor car 679.

It’s exceptionally rare but has happened on a very limited number of occasions. It’s almost always unannounced when it does happen.
Thank you so much. I wondered which it was. Rebuilding an OMO would have been too big a job I always assumed, with the chassis, I'd completely forgotten the twin-Car motors. The railcoaches were a really beautiful tram, so much nicer than the Brush cars. on which subject, is the old permanent way car still scheduled for restoration?
I would have thought the only time to see frontline use for the converted ballonns might be illumination weekends?

philthetube

Established Member
There was one ran for a couple of weeks early last summer to assist the service, I suspect, however, that the main reason for this was to make use of the volunteer crew, only downstairs was used.

Towers

Established Member
There was one ran for a couple of weeks early last summer to assist the service, I suspect, however, that the main reason for this was to make use of the volunteer crew, only downstairs was used.
Is there an instruction that two conductors are required for a double decker?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It was always the case prior to the upgrade, (essentially) one doing the doors and the other doing fares. Where only one conductor was available the top deck would be closed.

In theory there is no reason why the modernised Balloons have to run in this manner (there are cameras for the doors) but I wouldn’t be surprised if the old methods of working (still largely used by the heritage operation) were retained - particularly if volunteer crews were working the car(s).

Towers

Established Member
It was always the case prior to the upgrade, (essentially) one doing the doors and the other doing fares. Where only one conductor was available the top deck would be closed.

In theory there is no reason why the modernised Balloons have to run in this manner (there are cameras for the doors) but I wouldn’t be surprised if the old methods of working (still largely used by the heritage operation) were retained - particularly if volunteer crews were working the car(s).
Just to confirm, does a 'fat door' converted car in normal service (as opposed to on heritage manouevres) operate with the driver having full control of the doors? Or was their never sufficient use of them in service to actually establish a clear method of working?

Yes, one for the bottom deck and doors and one for the top deck. If there's only 1 conductor available then the top deck is closed. There are a number of staff at Starr Gate who are still licensed to operate the heritage (including me soon!) and just need a refresher on them to be able to work them, but we're all needed to keep the Flexity services moving. When the B fleet comes out, it's crewed by heritage volunteers.

Starting Monday 27th June, trams are being tested up Talbot Road to the new North terminus for up to a week between 1000 and 1500. They'll be running every 10 minutes, not in service obviously, and aren't expected to interfere with normal operations.

CH7997

The testing of the extension starts tomorrow. 1 tram will be used on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday and 4 will be used on Thursday and Friday. Going between Bispham, North Station and Pleasure Beach.

davehsug

The testing of the extension starts tomorrow. 1 tram will be used on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday and 4 will be used on Thursday and Friday. Going between Bispham, North Station and Pleasure Beach.
That is so good! Hoping for lots of videos on YT.

Starting Monday 27th June, trams are being tested up Talbot Road to the new North terminus for up to a week between 1000 and 1500. They'll be running every 10 minutes, not in service obviously, and aren't expected to interfere with normal operations.
Glad they are finishing by 3pm, before traffic builds up on the promenade.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Extremely unlikely as we are waiting for the hotel to be completed and building site gone before we can open North terminus to passengers.
Start of Illuminations then?

If you're after a tram, Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust are selling Coronation St star 710

Last edited:

davehsug

Just thinking that if 4 trams are being run tomorrow, 2 to Bispham & 2 to Pleasure Beach, that it may be indicating that those will be the routes, rather than a Starr Gate-Fleetwood via North Station scenario? I could never see the sense in that to begin with.

Towers

Established Member
Start of Illuminations then?

If you're after a tram, Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust are selling Coronation St star 710
I wonder has anyone from the Trust contacted ITV or whoever is responsible for the 'Coronation Street Tour' attraction with regards to whether they would have any interest in housing 710 as a part of the attraction (it being the infamous 'Alan Bradley tram', of course!) - got to be worth a shot? It only needs a paintjob and it'd be an interesting inclusion! Could be a valuable PR opportunity for ITV.

simond

Just thinking that if 4 trams are being run tomorrow, 2 to Bispham & 2 to Pleasure Beach, that it may be indicating that those will be the routes, rather than a Starr Gate-Fleetwood via North Station scenario? I could never see the sense in that to begin with.
If that is going to be the routes then it seems a bit tough that those that live in Fleetwood and Cleveleys have to change at Bispham to make use of the extension. Maybe a Fleetwood to Pleasure Beach via North Station and Starr Gate to Little Bispham via North Station taking up the bulk of the workings and supplemented by a Fleetwood to Starr Gate missing out the new extension. There's bound to be a good reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.