• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi guys,

I visited Blackpool today for the first time in what feels like forever, I noticed the old trams which I remember seeing are no longer. They’re all new and modern and there is no history like I remember now? Where are they all gone?!

i remember seeing a walls advertised tram which was one of many of the bright ones

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

The heritage trams are still there, but are running a very limited service at the moment due to COVID restrictions.

Ladder23

Established Member
The heritage trams are still there, but are running a very limited service at the moment due to COVID restrictions.
How limited? Without the covid issue how often should this be..

I’m gutted I’ve not seen any

cool110

There'll be 5 trams a day over the bank holiday weekend, then in September 1 per day for the illuminations all week + 1 daytime at weekends.

Ladder23

Established Member
There'll be 5 trams a day over the bank holiday weekend, then in September 1 per day for the illuminations all week + 1 daytime at weekends.
Any ideas what ones are still about?

don’t suppose you remember the ‘walls ice cream’ tram

Howardh

Established Member
When heritage trams run, they only use the central portion.
In normal non-covid times, I thought on occasion they still ran to Fleetwood? Or would that be just Tram Sunday?

Andyh82

Established Member
Hi guys,

I visited Blackpool today for the first time in what feels like forever, I noticed the old trams which I remember seeing are no longer. They’re all new and modern and there is no history like I remember now? Where are they all gone?!

i remember seeing a walls advertised tram which was one of many of the bright ones
The old trams stopped providing the main service in 2011, with the fully modernised route and new trams taking over in 2012 with fully accessible platforms and trams etc.

From then on, the old trams now provide a heritage service overlaid on top of the main service, using different fares and different limited tram stops. The frequency of these has varied a lot over the years, most recently they tended to have special weekends with a lot of trams out, and fewer trams out at other times.

Ladder23

Established Member
The old trams stopped providing the main service in 2011, with the fully modernised route and new trams taking over in 2012 with fully accessible platforms and trams etc.

From then on, the old trams now provide a heritage service overlaid on top of the main service, using different fares and different limited tram stops. The frequency of these has varied a lot over the years, most recently they tended to have special weekends with a lot of trams out, and fewer trams out at other times.
Thanks for summarising. It must of been around 2011 I went last, I wish I knew back then how close they were to being taken away from main service

superkev

Established Member
May be of interest but last week started the demolishing of the former Wilko store which has been empty since 31 March. This is whats been holding the completion of the much delayed tram link to the station.
Why anyone wants to build a 4star hotel without a car park and with a tram terminus in the middle is beyond me.
K

Clip

Established Member
May be of interest but last week started the demolishing of the former Wilko store which has been empty since 31 March. This is whats been holding the completion of the much delayed tram link to the station.
Why anyone wants to build a 4star hotel without a car park and with a tram terminus in the middle is beyond me.
K
Its Blackpool council who want the hotel built for them and get someone else to run it. They're doing a half decent job in tearing it down but traffic is horrendous again

delt1c

Established Member

Remember traveling on the Walls tram many years ago when it had a sales counter in one of the lower saloons selling Walls ice cream

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
K

Willing to bet that the hotel has some of the best occupancy rates in the town when things get back to normal. Lack of car park will be irrelevant.

pieguyrob

Across the road is the old bus station, that still has its multi storey car park in use. On the Dickson Road and Queen Street sides are clubs and bars, (Kaos, Sapphires, Ma Kelly's, The Avenue, The Flying Handbag, Flamingos and Funny Girls). Plus it is where the gay pride event is held whenever that is on, they close that section of Queen Street. Also you have one of the main night time taxi stands, opposite on Dickson Road.
In normal circumstances it can be quite lively in that area until 0530 in the morning. Oh, and the police turning up with their sirens on, and, for that matter ambulances as well.
Its not exactly the prime location for a 4 star hotel, (Holiday Inn I'm lead to believe). But, hey Blackpool council know best.

In my own opinion, all they had to do was redirect the number 1 bus to the station. There are more bus stops than tram stops on the prom, so the hotels are better served by the bus. Also, not all the hotels are on the prom, so the tram doesn't serve them. Those people will still use taxis.

It would be intriguing to see, possibly through a Freedom of Information Act, what the farebox revenue is of the new extension.

rebmcr

Established Member
Across the road is the old bus station, that still has its multi storey car park in use. On the Dickson Road and Queen Street sides are clubs and bars, (Kaos, Sapphires, Ma Kelly's, The Avenue, The Flying Handbag, Flamingos and Funny Girls). Plus it is where the gay pride event is held whenever that is on, they close that section of Queen Street. Also you have one of the main night time taxi stands, opposite on Dickson Road.
In normal circumstances it can be quite lively in that area until 0530 in the morning. Oh, and the police turning up with their sirens on, and, for that matter ambulances as well.
Its not exactly the prime location for a 4 star hotel, (Holiday Inn I'm lead to believe). But, hey Blackpool council know best.

Nothing that decent modern glazing can't handle. Hopefully it's specified as such!

ValleyLines142

Established Member

The Walls ice cream livery has been gone for quite some time. The tram in question (Balloon 719) is now in the bog standard maroon and white livery (as per the modern trams).

pieguyrob

It always amuses my wife for some reason when they say on the tram "The next stop is CABIN"

The old Uncle Tom's? It's now Ma Kelly's scumboat, and, Uncle Tom's sportsbar.

The modern Flexity 2's have an automatic announcement, with lesser stops. The old trams up to 2011 had a conducter announcing each stop.

Ladder23

Established Member
certainly a shame, I went there completely unknown the old trams were not in frequent service anymore and was so saddened when I see the modern rubbish ha!

I love to revisit during the illuminations but I have timed it all so wrong on my visit, maybe next year!

341o2

Established Member
It always amuses my wife for some reason when they say on the tram "The next stop is CABIN"
I recall there was a mother and child who had just had a row, and were sitting in the tram glowering in anger. Then mum reads the tram stop "Little Bispham"
"I'm not a little bispham" came the plaintive reply

py_megapixel

Established Member
I had a great go on the Blackpool Trams a few months ago; would have liked the heritage stuff but I have no problems with the Flexity trams really.

The staff really stood out to me. I had a couple of really lovely friendly conductors (great) but also one who shouted at me rather aggresively when I dared to ask where to buy a ticket from... she was too busy smoking a cigarette on the platform!

Now I appreciate with hindsight that she was probably on her break, but I don't think that's an excuse for blatant rudeness and aggression towards customers - after all, conductors who are wearing uniform and standing on the tram platform are still considered by the public to be a representative of the tram company, regardless of whether they are on a break or not!

"I'm on a break at the moment, I'll just sell you a ticket in a few minutes" would have sufficed.

Howardh

Established Member
Outside of Covid, in summer I believe the old trams (heritage) run a special timetable most days. But at a price!!

But it would be nice if at least one old tram could run the Starr Gate/Fleetwood run as part of the normal timetable. Can't see it being a bother to the local commuters, and I'm sure would eb popular with tourists.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It might not be a bother to the local commuters, but it would be illegal under the rail vehicle accessibility regulations (PRM-TSI does not apply to tramways). The widened balloons can be used on the normal service (and occasionally are) but only for a limited number of days each year. There simply isn't the demand most of the year to run them as a special, whilst demand on the normal service is too great (and too slow - loading through one door rather than 5, anyone?)

The Heritage Tram Tours are the only way to legally keep the varied fleet on the network. The fares are also reasonable (in normal times) - I'm not sure, even on a 'low' two-tram, Prom only service, a day ticket at ~£11, valid also on the modern trams and Blackpool bus network, can be considered 'at a price'.

I thought we did all this death back in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 though...

Trackman

Established Member
The old Uncle Tom's? It's now Ma Kelly's scumboat, and, Uncle Tom's sportsbar.

The modern Flexity 2's have an automatic announcement, with lesser stops. The old trams up to 2011 had a conducter announcing each stop.
The Flexity 2's say 'Uncle Tom's Cabin', and tickets say that but the tram stop is still called 'Cabin'

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The Flexity 2's say 'Uncle Tom's Cabin', and tickets say that but the tram stop is still called 'Cabin'
I do find that strange when they have Fleetwood Ferry & Fishermans Walk (14 letters) and Manchester Square (16 Letters). You think adding 7 more letters to the signs wouldn't be difficult, Uncle Tom's Cabin is only as long as Pleasure Beach (13 letters).

bluenoxid

Established Member
What will be the proposed timetable and routes for Blackpool trams once the route to Blackpool North is opened? Will all modern trams run the full route via the station or is there a plan for a different timetable.

What will be the proposed timetable and routes for Blackpool trams once the route to Blackpool North is opened? Will all modern trams run the full route via the station or is there a plan for a different timetable.
Saw a proposed timetable couple years ago, 3 per hour from Bispham to Pleasure Beach plus vice versa 3 tph
Similar on this report
https://lancashirelep.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/me-plan-blackpool-final-issued-24102017.pdf

Wilkos - Only Blackpool Council can afford to pay good money for buildings, and demolish them ! Also Syndicate nightclub (ex ABC) now a car park.
Posh hotel in a seaside resort without a sea view? lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.