• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Tramway Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Hey,

At the end of August, or start of September, and possibly also early next month, I will be heading to Blackpool for a day. Naturally, I would like to travel on the tram up to Fleetwood and back, especially for the July one because I will be with my father and he would like to do it as well.

I have found an all-day ticket valid for buses and trams available for £6, or £5 as a Plusbus-esque ticket exclusively valid on Blackpool Transport services. This would probably suit my father, as we would be travelling via Preston and I would insist on going by train (see if I can break that 180 duck of mine!). But, as many of you will know, I have a concessionary bus pass, which renders the bus section useless. Is there any cheaper alternative than this £5/£6 day ticket, valid exclusively on the tram? Also, why do single fares seem to be calculated using bus fare systems (i.e. half-mile fare stages)? Is the tram effectively a bus on rails (a decent one, unlike Pacers!), or does it have proper tram "stations" along the way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No, that is the only option for use as a one day tram rover.

Incidentally, I am told that those trams which are not staying on the system on account of the new fleet arriving will start to be removed as soon as the illuminations season is over this year, so for those who need to clear any outstanding haulages and photos - make the most of this summer.

There is, I think, an open day planned at Rigby Road ( which will mean a photo oppotrtunity regarding the mothballed trams ) but I can't remember the date of it.

WestCoast

Established Member
But, as many of you will know, I have a concessionary bus pass, which renders the bus section useless.

Yes, only Lancashire concessionary bus pass holders can use the trams for free.

Is there any cheaper alternative than this £5/£6 day ticket, valid exclusively on the tram?

No, although if your staying a few days it may be worth puchasing a 3 Day Travelcard at £15.50 see www.blackpooltransport.com/tickets/tcard.html. PLUSBUS is NOT valid on trams.

Also, why do single fares seem to be calculated using bus fare systems (i.e. half-mile fare stages)? Is the tram effectively a bus on rails (a decent one, unlike Pacers!), or does it have proper tram "stations" along the way?

No most are just stops (which look like something like this www.thetrams.co.uk/blackpool/pictures/001753). And yes fares are calculated by stages although I believe there is now a flat central zone fare of £1.60 single between the Pleasure Beach and North Pier. Return fares are not available. Basically in Blackpool the trams generally cost more than the buses because they know they can make more money out of them! :lol:

It does get quite expensive to keep buying singles so I would suggest buying the travelcard. You can buy the one day travelcard for £6.00 on the tram. Or the three day versions from the Blackpool Transport office, tourist information centres or paypoint newsagents!

Daimler

Established Member
Once the new trams have arrived, how regularly will the vintage ones run - are the Flexity trams going to operate all services, or will they be used on 'commuter' runs, with tourist oriented services still operated by vintage trams?

WestCoast

Established Member
Once the new trams have arrived, how regularly will the vintage ones run - are the Flexity trams going to operate all services, or will they be used on 'commuter' runs, with tourist oriented services still operated by vintage trams?

It's not really finalised yet. However I believe the full route services (Fleetwood - Starr Gate) are to be operated by the new trams. The vintage trams will most likely run between North Pier - Pleasure Beach in the Summer.

Green Lane

On Monday just gone (the 28th) I walked from Blackpool to Fleetwood and back. All running trams appeared to be single-deck.

Couldn't help but notice that all northbound trams were terminating at Cleveleys. There was no tram service at all between Cleveleys and Fleetwood.

Also noticed engineers working on the system between Cleveleys and Fleetwood.

At Fleetwood town centre, I noticed fencing right across the tramway and it looked like some sort of building work was going on. Also there were parked vehicles fouling the track in several places in Fleetwood town centre, as if the whole town was quite used to the fact that trams are not running there.

I saw a notice at the Westbourne Road tram stop on the way back about maintenence work from Nov '09 to April '10 on the sytem, but unsure why the Celeveleys-Fleetwood section was not running on Monday.

Is this because the long-term maintenance that started last year is still ongoing? Or was that section just closed temporarily?

Anyway, I took a few casual snaps as usual. :D

Tram at Blackpool
DSC06511.jpg

B&M tram terminated at Cleveleys town centre
DSC06530.jpg

The Orion Curve between Cleveleys and Anchorsholme. I wonder why they call it that?
DSC06645.jpg

Notice about maintenance
DSC06637.jpg

I noticed that quite a few of the stops employ bus-stop like signs
DSC06639.jpg

But, have to admire the the more grand designs of the Bispham stations

DSC06520.jpg

DSC06516.jpg

Last edited:

ashworth

Established Member
I know that trams are not going to run through the centre of Fleetwood for the next 2 years due to modernisation/engineering works. I also knew that from last November they have only been running as far as Cleveleys, but I also thought that from April 10that they were due to begin running again as far as the edge of Fleetwood town centre.
However, looking at the the Blackpool Transport Website I notice that the timetable still shows the trams as terminating at Cleveleys. Does anyone know whether they will be running through to Fleetwood by the beginning of August when I will next be in Blackpool.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Hopefully by July - The delay is caused by the Copper Fairies pinching the new overhead!

Green Lane

Thanks for the info.

I found a relevant article here http://blackpoolaloud.org.uk/2010/06/30/trams-to-return-to-fleetwood/

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Since I went to Blackpool last Monday, I wished I'd had a closer look at the points on the tramway.

Does anyone know how they are operated? I really don't know much about trams. Is it similar to railway points, or are they somehow operated by the tram driver?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It's OK, I found the answer here.

http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources/060706_R182006_Blackpool Pleasure Beach.PDF

The system uses hand-operated points (operated by the conductor) with permission from the depot needed for any deviation from normal running.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
A fare for a Blackpool 'inclusive' ticket exists on railway issuing systems:

Blackpool North - Blackp & Bus Tour £9.80

Any idea what it covers?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Not sure, theirs a Blackpool + Bus and Tram all day ticket which is whatever the Single/return cost of your rail journey is +£5 for adult or £2.50 child
And a PLUSBUS unlimited bus for £3 extra.

Does 'bus tour' add some sort of sightseeing trip too?

Status
Not open for further replies.