• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Transport to commence running trams Monday 19th March?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Husband of the driver, who was clearly at fault, says an accident was "inevitable". Presumably he has experience of his wife's driving :|

ECJS189

Paid my first visit to Blackpool post upgrade over the Bank Holiday. I was generally quite impressed with the new trams and the new track ensured a smooth ride although there still seems to be a few teeting problems with the units themselves. The onboard displays and announcements had failed in one of the units I travelled on and in another unit the announcements kept going excruciatingly loud. A conductor was heard discussing that the driver was considering failing his unit when back at Starr Gate due to some undisclosed technical issue.
Hopefully they will get these issues resolved before the peak summer season.
I noticed that all the new units were timetabled on a Starr gate to Fleetwood Ferry 20 minute interval service. Certainly this appears to be satisfactory for the 'suburbs', Bispham, Cleveleys, Fleetwood etc but there definately needs to be additional trams on the peak loading North Pier to Pleasure Beach section. I cannot recall when I last saw so few trams on the promenade - gone are the days of trams running 3 or 4 deep (and full). Surely a Bank Holiday monday deserves a better service? The double decker balloons will really be missed.
As for heritage trams, the illuminated train (??!!) and Blackpool and Fleetwood Car 40 were running with few people in. There seems to be confusion as to what these are being used for and how do you board them as they don't stop at the new disabled access platforms.
Have they actually kept any of the 'modern' double deckers (rebuit baloons and Jubilee cars)? These would be ideal for a fill in on the promenade between the normal 20 minute service. Are there any existing trams being modified to take passngers from the new platforms?

One think I also noticed was that the points and cross-over have been installed at the North Pier pointing towards Talbot Square - presumably a future network extension is planned?

WestCoast

Established Member
.Have they actually kept any of the 'modern' double deckers (rebuit baloons and Jubilee cars)? These would be ideal for a fill in on the promenade between the normal 20 minute service. Are there any existing trams being modified to take passngers from the new platforms?

Yes, there are a number of Baloons which have been modified to LRT standard. This blog is interesting.

Ivo

Established Member
One think I also noticed was that the points and cross-over have been installed at the North Pier pointing towards Talbot Square - presumably a future network extension is planned?

According to this BBC article, a line already exists between the seafront and North station - underneath the asphalt, where it is of no use to anybody. The Council are said to have been looking at reinstating the route, and also introducing an extension to the airport.

This is two months old however so the information may not be 100% accurate now.

WestCoast

Established Member
There are a number of lines underneath the asphalt in the town centre and indeed on other former inland routes. The lines would be under Talbot Road, which leads from North Pier to Bus Station. This video shows lines being uncovered on Abingdon Street, which is a shopping street off Talbot Road, the lines here led to the suburban Marton route.

Status
Not open for further replies.