• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blaenau Ffestiniog partial tunnel collapse (24/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Apparently the single line has been closed due to a "partial tunnel collapse". Don't know any more details but it doesn't sound good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is North Llanrwst just a convenient place to reverse even if it's the Ffestiniog tunnel that's blocked?

It's fairly convenient for running RRBs, though so is Betws which would seem a more sensible place to do it as it means the main demand is still on the train. You can reverse anywhere as it's a single line.

A0wen

On Moderation
Is North Llanrwst just a convenient place to reverse even if it's the Ffestiniog tunnel that's blocked?

If Llew Jones are the RRB provider, it's very convenient...... their depot is opposite North Llanrwst station !

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
We've actually had a few dry days in North Wales, so not extreme by any means.
It's due a pasting tomorrow though.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I wonder if it is a tunnel collapse this time...…..or a builders merchant sack like last time! :rolleyes:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
If Llew Jones are the RRB provider, it's very convenient...... their depot is opposite North Llanrwst station !

I suggest this is the reason also , Llew Jones yard is literally outside the station entrance.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Activate the "it's a waste of money, close the line!!!!" brigade

If the line is closed for longer than its open every year, which it has done in recent years, makes it harder to justifiy keeping it open

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You can reverse anywhere as it's a single line.

Depends on the signalling arrangement. e.g. a token/staff would be fine. Absolute Block may not be as (AIUI) a box more not in normal running offer and accept the same train from/to itself?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Depends on the signalling arrangement. e.g. a token/staff would be fine. Absolute Block may not be as (AIUI) a box more not in normal running offer and accept the same train from/to itself?

I don't know what the method of working south of Llanrwst loop is, but there's no other box, is there? So surely it would be as normal?

Why out of interest would a pilotman be required?

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't know what the method of working south of Llanrwst loop is, but there's no other box, is there? So surely it would be as normal?

Why out of interest would a pilotman be required?
“Working by Pilotman to the point of obstruction” - broadly, possession of the token implies authority to proceed through the whole section, which clearly isn’t appropriate here.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Blaenau tunnel is closed for emergency repairs until end of service on Friday, according to NRE.
So it's evidently not a long-term issue.
Meanwhile buses to/from North Llanrwst

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is now info on the TfW JourneyCheck:

Customer Advice
Network Rail report that following a safety inspection, Blaenau tunnel has been closed for emergency repairs and a further, more extensive survey by a geological engineer.
The engineer's inspection will not take place until Friday 25 October, with no confirmed time of completion. Train services will terminate at/start back from NORTH LLANRWST station.
Replacement road transport services are conveying passengers between North Llanrwst and Blaenau Ffestiniog via Betws-Y-Coed in both directions until further notice. Road transport calling patterns will be as follows:
Southbound - North Llanrwst to Blaenau Ffestiniog, calling at all advertised station stops (connecting with the train's arrival at North Llanrwst from Llandudno/Llandudno Junction)
Northbound - Blaenau Ffestiniog to North Llanrwst, calling at all advertised station stops (connecting with the train's departure from North Llanrwst to Llandudno Junction/Llandudno)
Please note that the last train service normally departing Blaenau Ffestiniog (20:23) will operate as a bus service through to Llandudno, alongside the amended train service between North Llanrwst and Llandudno.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Blaenau tunnel is closed for emergency repairs until end of service on Friday, according to NRE.
So it's evidently not a long-term issue.
It's probably fairer to say that they don't know if it's a long-term issue yet, as they haven't inspected it. But here's hoping...

Cambrian359

Given the forecast for Friday and Saturday it was probably destined to end up closed this weekend anyway!(and the next 3 months...)

Dren Ahmeti

The service will be covered with buses for tomorrow (Saturday).
This will then give a window until Monday [as there isn’t a Sunday service] to allow for any works to be completed.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Why does this always happen when I'm considering a ride? :(

It's that grey wet and misty here today you wouldn't see much at all. Probably best to swerve this weekend anyway. Floods starting up the valley on the roads at least

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So "partial tunnel collapse" was maybe an exaggeration?

I suspect something small did fall off the roof (it's an unlined tunnel, so that's probably to be expected occasionally like any rock face with freeze-thaw cycles going on and a DMU rattling through every few hours), and the engineer's report was to ensure that nothing else bigger was going to fall off before it reopened.

It appears touch wood that with lines flooded all over the country it somehow escaped today (RTT seems to show everything having run), though I might now have jinxed it!

Parallel

Established Member
It would be interesting if trains could or did terminate at the grand station of... Roman Bridge. From memory I think it’s fairly close to the main road. Are there any bus companies in Blaenau?

But of course, it is probably easier just to run to North Llanrwst with the current arrangement, though trains have run to Betws-y-Coed on occasion.

krus_aragon

Established Member
It would be interesting if trains could or did terminate at the grand station of... Roman Bridge. From memory I think it’s fairly close to the main road. Are there any bus companies in Blaenau?
It's something around 300 or 400m from the main road (which is where rail-replacement buses call). There's a side road that leads down to the station, but good luck getting a bus down there and turned round again!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's something around 300 or 400m from the main road (which is where rail-replacement buses call). There's a side road that leads down to the station, but good luck getting a bus down there and turned round again!

TBH I'd suggest something should be put into place to allow terminating at Betws without a pilotman - it is the main destination, to the extent that there is one - and it's also quite good for bus operations with a handy "Platform 3" stop just out the back.

krus_aragon

Established Member
TBH I'd suggest something should be put into place to allow terminating at Betws without a pilotman - it is the main destination, to the extent that there is one - and it's also quite good for bus operations with a handy "Platform 3" stop just out the back.
Off-hand, all I could think of is a block station at Betws that spends most of its time switched out. As suggested upthread, holding the relevant token/staff gives you authority to proceed all the way along the block, right through the landslip area.

In the past, when there's been a long closure a stop block has been set up south of Llanrwst or Betws station (with relevant working nitoces) to isolate a portion of the line, but let services extend beyond North Llanrwst.

Status
Not open for further replies.