• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bleakest / loneliest mainline station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Although I've never actually been there (only passing through), Edinburgh Gateway looks quite bleak/lonely from photos out there.

It's a very nice station and tram interchange...just a bit devoid of passengers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate is definitely bleak and can be quiet in the evening. The station has looked derelict for years (though it's got better recently) and the area outside the station is very run down too.

Llandudno Junction in the middle of the night was very lonely. I'd bailed off the down overnight train to pick up the up. I was the only person on the station. It was a very windy night and some of the station signs were creaking. The train didn't appear. No smart mobiles or PIS back then. After 20-30 minutes I used a signal post telephone to ask the signaller what was happening. He reassured me that the train was on its way and even told me which platform it would arrive at.

Last edited:

Metrolink

Grimsby Town is quite a bleak station. I visited at the end of 2019. The stations architecture is beautiful and so is the entranceBut on a Sunday afternoon it is very lonely without people - or trains for that matter.

Mordac

Established Member
Londonderry used to be a grim hole, I hear the new station is much improved though.

DorkingMain

Corby feels pretty desolate. Blasting down the MML to suddenly turn off and terminate on a single platform in the middle of some woods

ChrisC

Established Member
Worksop. When the wind blows through the platforms in winter it is absolutely freezing. Not helped when each hour the Robin Hood Line train arrives just a few minutes after the connection to Sheffield has just departed meaning a wait of over 50 minutes in this desolate place.
Good points are it’s a lovely old station which has recently been restored and very good cafe and pub. It’s just the platforms which are desolate to wait on.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Rugeley Trent Valley, while a great spot for watching trains, is rather bleak and open on a cold just about any day.
Corrected that for you. Up there with Edinburgh Park in Scotland (see post #15) for being rather windswept. ;)

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Corby feels pretty desolate. Blasting down the MML to suddenly turn off and terminate on a single platform in the middle of some woods
Another strange RailUKforums dig at the rapidly growing town of Corby.

It has a much more substantial station building than most single-platform terminating points. There is good bus and taxi interchange as well as car parking and pick-up/drop-off facilities. Presumably most people arriving there actually have somewhere in mind to go on to?

Corby was developed as a 'new town' with relatively low building density and, er, landscaping like trees in the grounds of a college near the station. In normal times there is ready access to facilities in the 'Old Village' or across the main road to a massive supermarket with cafe, etc.

If you are leaving, the fact that the station is a terminus means that the train is usually in the platform for several minutes prior to departure.

Obviously the fact that it is a single platform means that there are no footbridges or subways to negotiate.

All very handy. With the population swelling by around 1,000 per year and the best ever service about to start (half-hourly electric) I am not expecting it to be particularly lonely when I get back to using it regularly.

steamybrian

Established Member
I nominate Dent on the Settle & Carlisle Line.
I have used the station and waited for a train there . Nice scenery but nothing else....

Doomotron

I nominate Westenhanger, near Ashford, which has pretty much nothing there, although there is HS1 next to it.

_SHR_

Craven Arms.

Tucked away behind a supermarket, and mostly used as a means to get between one housing estate and another via the station footbridge.

Journeyman

Established Member
Has anyone taken over the station building yet ? It always looked impressive yet very boarded up whenever I went past it.
I'm guessing it's too remote, and the surroundings too unattractive, to make it worth taking on, either as a business or a house.

D1537

WBQ was my initial thought as well.

I would nominate Chathill as an immediate winner, but it fails on the 1tph stopping there.

Micheldever and Northallerton are a couple that came to mind.

LancasterRed

Lancaster is bleak at night. The walk from the city centre to the train station itself is filled with undesirables and despite its close proximity to a bustling nightlife the station itself is lonely as only a few passengers remain waiting for the last train.

During the day it can be bad if there's a 40 minute wait for a train (as is common with the amount of delays and cancellations) and in general isn't a fun place to wait. However it is quite literally night and day in difference given how bad it is after about 7pm!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You could always buy it yourself. :)

Actually, it might make a good second home - assuming it now has a decent train service (most of them went fast to Sandling in my day and ended after the evening rush hour). Don't think I'd want to move away from the North now.

Lancaster is bleak at night. The walk from the city centre to the train station itself is filled with undesirables and despite its close proximity to a bustling nightlife the station itself is lonely as only a few passengers remain waiting for the last train.

During the day it can be bad if there's a 40 minute wait for a train (as is common with the amount of delays and cancellations) and in general isn't a fun place to wait. However it is quite literally night and day in difference given how bad it is after about 7pm!

I always find Lancaster to be a pleasant place to wait for a train. It would be nice if the buffet was open a bit later.

Llandudno

Established Member
Actually, it might make a good second home - assuming it now has a decent train service (most of them went fast to Sandling in my day and ended after the evening rush hour). Don't think I'd want to move away from the North now.

I always find Lancaster to be a pleasant place to wait for a train. It would be nice if the buffet was open a bit later.
Is the Merchants pub not worth a visit if waiting for a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.