• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bleakest / loneliest mainline station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I wouldn't call it "bleak", although I thought Hadley Wood was surprisingly peaceful and quiet for a station on the busiest stretch of the ECML. I'd definitely say Severn Tunnel Junction is pretty bleak. It's cold, windy and it's not a very attractive station.

I think Northallerton can get somewhat bleak as well, although it's not too bad on a sunny day. Sticking with the ECML, Newark Northgate was very bleak when I last visited, then again it was nearly 11pm and I was changing to the last train of the day to Lincoln, so the same could probably be said for a lot of other stations at that time of night.

I saw people earlier mentioning Warrington Bank Quay and I honestly don't get that. I've only spent a couple of hours there, but it was lively enough. Plus it's the best smelling station on the entire network thanks to the factory at the North end.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I saw people earlier mentioning Warrington Bank Quay and I honestly don't get that. I've only spent a couple of hours there, but it was lively enough. Plus it's the best smelling station on the entire network thanks to the factory at the North end.
I thought that it had been ;posted elsewhere that the factory was now closed/derelict(?).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The Unilever plant at Warrington Bank Quay closed in October 2020 after some 135 years at the site.

Made Persil and Surf washing/soap powder at the plant.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I beg to differ. New Mills Newtown station is just downwind of the Swizzels sweet factory and on a good day the air smells of sherbet!

Journeyman

Established Member
I beg to differ. New Mills Newtown station is just downwind of the Swizzels sweet factory and on a good day the air smells of sherbet!
Try Zaanse Schans near Amsterdam. It's right next to a chocolate factory, and the whole area smells fantastic. Easily the best smelling station ever!

Envy123

New Southgate. No station building, it smelled and the surrounding area was bleak.

I felt like I was in no man's land, despite the London buses on the doorstep and an LU station within one mile.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You used to get sugary smells (at times) at Pontefract Tanshelf, which although pretty bleak is the least bleak of Pontecarlo's three stations. Alas Haribo production has now moved to the new factory next to the M62.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You used to get sugary smells (at times) at Pontefract Tanshelf, which although pretty bleak is the least bleak of Pontecarlo's three stations. Alas Haribo production has now moved to the new factory next to the M62.

You also get that near Fenny Stratford if you walk down towards the canal - but I've never worked out what business it is it is coming from!

frodshamfella

Established Member
Euston isn't cold. Grim depends on your view, so fair enough to that, but it's warm in winter and cool in summer.
Yes actually your right Euston isnt cold, but I still find it grim as a station.

I really like West Kirby too, feels very cosy!

Yes its a nice little terminus . Actually many of the Merseyrail stations out of the centre are quite pleasant.

frodshamfella

Established Member
You could feasibly nominate the whole Merseyrail network for the bleak-o-meter.
not so

Once you get past the contiguous built-up area I'd go as far as to say "most". Even the likes of Aughton Park isn't unpleasant, though a bit barren.
Cressington is nice and Aigburth is too, nice old station building , old fashioned gas type lamps at Cressington. I like the art deco station on the Wirral.

Neo9320

Someone had mentioned burton on trent...I can tell you as a (former) resident that if you’re not used to the smell there, you’re in for a very unpleasant surprise...unless you’re a marmite lover!

Gloster

Established Member
The most unpleasant smelling station I can remember using was Tiverton Junction, where there was a meat factory nearby.

Journeyman

Established Member
The most unpleasant smelling station I can remember using was Tiverton Junction, where there was a meat factory nearby.
Depending on the direction of the wind, Edinburgh Park sometimes smells of a massive nearby chicken farm, and it's pretty disgusting.

Statto

Established Member
Someone had mentioned burton on trent...I can tell you as a (former) resident that if you’re not used to the smell there, you’re in for a very unpleasant surprise...unless you’re a marmite lover!

Ahh, so Burton In Trent is a marmite station?

I'll get me coat.:E

D6130

Established Member
Mmm, very fragrant! It always surprises me that it's such an expensive area to live in
IIRC, there's also a sewage works adjacent to Hersham station a little further down the same line. (Off-topic, but Berrylands sewage works used to have a very interesting narrow gauge railway system until the mid-seventies and more than one railway society has had official guided visits).

Status
Not open for further replies.