• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bletchley sidings (beside Bletchley tmd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
I did a patrol through here recently, and its clear to see this was a very busy location once upon a time. Having searched I cannot find much, maybe because I am using the wrong name, I tried freight sidings, and cambridge sidings, but I think both may be wrong.

any photos or info is much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ladder23

Established Member
Bletchley CS (Carriage Sidings)? Full of 350s (and the odd 319) pretty much every night...

no, beside the TMD, on the branch line, there is some old mail wagons and hoppers there too which have been there for donkeys!

Ladder23

Established Member
Here

Attachments

• 9FB14F99-4230-4ECE-B75E-56D5FB5BE019.png
    9FB14F99-4230-4ECE-B75E-56D5FB5BE019.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 125

6Gman

Established Member
Wasn't there a stone terminal in Bletchley at one time ? Not sure where exactly.

Ladder23

Established Member
Wasn't there a stone terminal in Bletchley at one time ? Not sure where exactly.
still is a cemex yard with a freight in most days which uses the branch line to bring in goods!

civ-eng-jim

On the two roads to the north of the adjacent Vale Lines there are sleepers stacked up on top of some of the the rails, timber sleepers chained across some of the lines and missing track panels - So I'd say nothing goes in there!

The other three roads look to have point levers all in good condition and there are signals into and out of the sidings. While I don't know what goes in there, three roads look usable.

I expect they'll be used for stabling for East West Rail stock at some point in the near future or in the distant future if the Marston Vale line gets an upgrade.

There's a lot of track adjacent to what I think is a Network Rail compound but it's detached from the network. Looks to be some sort of training setup as there are OLE masts with the cantilevers set at low level.

**EDIT**

I think they're called "VALE SIDINGS"

If you're a Network Rail employee, get onto RouteView - quite detailed birds-eye view images.

Ladder23

Established Member
On the two roads to the north of the adjacent Vale Lines there are sleepers stacked up on top of some of the the rails, timber sleepers chained across some of the lines and missing track panels - So I'd say nothing goes in there!

The other three roads look to have point levers all in good condition and there are signals into and out of the sidings. While I don't know what goes in there, three roads look usable.

I expect they'll be used for stabling for East West Rail stock at some point in the near future or in the distant future if the Marston Vale line gets an upgrade.

There's a lot of track adjacent to what I think is a Network Rail compound but it's detached from the network. Looks to be some sort of training setup as there are OLE masts with the cantilevers set at low level.
Most if not all of the points at the far end have been clipped and put out of action with scores put on the head of the rails. I was told they were not used for like 30+ years. I noticed the dates on the plates were from the 60’s. I wish I took more photos now, next time I’m there I will. Bletchley holds a lot of history with the flyover etc, but this really isn’t bringing much ha!

LMS 4F

I remember that in the late 1950s where the car park is now was the site of the steam shed. The end of the covered building could be seen from the nearest platform. The first time I went to Bletchley I saw over 100 Locos in a day, all steam of course. Happy days.

Boodiggy

They were the Cambridge Sidings, but became the Vale Sidings during the Bletchley remodelling. There hasn’t been much use for sometime now although they are not officially OOU. The sleeper and red flag at the Fenny Stratford end where the points are clipped out was to do with the slip points if memory serves me right. As the Marston Vale line doesn’t have many services and very little freight there is no need to hold any services in there. I think road 1 was OOU the last time I was there but that was a number of years ago now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Cambridge/Vale Sidings depending how old your map is - I have seen them used from time to time although not for several years now. I suspect they might get refettled for E-W.

On the other side of the line is the drain train siding and the OHLE training section.

Status
Not open for further replies.