• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bletchley to oxford line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart-h

Morning all.
Havent been on here in a while; Any one know when work is due to start on the Bletchley to oxford line and know who if any has the contract or being tendered??

Ps: if this is on the wrong part of the forum feel free to move it where nessery :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
According to the Network Rail plans, Grip stage 3 is not due until November 2015, at which time there will be a realistic cost estimate and timescale.
Start on site is not due until August 2017 at the earliest.

richieb1971

Established Member
It will be interesting how they tackle the raised platform issue at Bletchley. Simply because it is obstructed by a cement type factory and there are roads underneath the southern part of the station.

As a rail enthusiast for video and photography I believe the structure will obstruct any great viewing angles. At best we can hope for a Nuneaton style approach. Its also strange that it took 50+ years to get any great use of the flyover. I believe it gets approximately 1 train a month at present (or less) for rail testing purposes. I assume the track will be replaced.

Does anyone know if the flyover has a weight restriction? I believe it was designed with freight in mind so probably not.

RobLawrence

Interesting to read there's some interest in updates on this. For a number of days last week I saw a number of Network Rail and "UK Rail: Electrification" (?) branded vehicles parked at the Launton level crossing. And today I saw a number of Network Rail vehicles headed towards the location of the old Marsh Gibbon and Poundon Station - a little further along the line. I also think I am correct in saying that there has - in the past few months - been some vegetation clearance along the disused section between Claydon and Winslow.

Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
You learn more on here than you do from the east west consortium home page.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It will be interesting how they tackle the raised platform issue at Bletchley. Simply because it is obstructed by a cement type factory and there are roads underneath the southern part of the station.

As a rail enthusiast for video and photography I believe the structure will obstruct any great viewing angles. At best we can hope for a Nuneaton style approach. Its also strange that it took 50+ years to get any great use of the flyover. I believe it gets approximately 1 train a month at present (or less) for rail testing purposes. I assume the track will be replaced.

Does anyone know if the flyover has a weight restriction? I believe it was designed with freight in mind so probably not.

Yes lets make sure station design takes into account the photographic needs of spotters :roll:

I am sure the concept drawings i have seen envisage a single platform on the fly over. The idea is that the stone terminal will be relocated ( aka closed!) but there are no firm dates for any of that! The council are keen on a station entrance on that side of the station giving much better connections to Bletchley town centre but lack the money to pay for it so that wont happen either!

As The Planner says there is "some" work to do on the concept!

The flyover was well used when trains used to run from Aylesbury to Bletchely depot and when the stone trains ran from Oxford to Wolverton but they ended some years ago. There has been the problem of a gap of several miles in the track for the last few tears ;)

The line isn't used monthly at all. NR test trains run every so often but to no real pattern and the Swanbourne siding is used to stable engineering trains from time to time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting to read there's some interest in updates on this. For a number of days last week I saw a number of Network Rail and "UK Rail: Electrification" (?) branded vehicles parked at the Launton level crossing. And today I saw a number of Network Rail vehicles headed towards the location of the old Marsh Gibbon and Poundon Station - a little further along the line. I also think I am correct in saying that there has - in the past few months - been some vegetation clearance along the disused section between Claydon and Winslow.

There has been some veg clearance along the route to help with scoping and surveys etc

RobLawrence

So, I can provide a bit more detail on my post from yesterday. A team from UK Rail Ltd are currently working along the line testing the soil to a depth of between 5m and 10m to identify its suitability for the supports used for the overhead lines. They are currently testing about 300m east of the Launton level crossing - pretty much bang on the Oxon/Bucks border.

railnerd

Hi.

I went and had a look around the Calvert and Claydon area last week.

Not a lot has changed beyond Launton level crossing near Bicester. The area around Claydon LNE Jn SB is the same as it has been for years. The signaller informed me that things are running behind and the signal box definately wont go when NR say it will.

At the ex Claydon AOCL level crossing the trackbed is still all overgrown and the crossing fenced over.

In short, not much has changed, but then again it is quite a job they have to do!

The Planner

Veteran Member
It isnt out of design stage yet so nothing is going to be happening on the ground.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes lets make sure station design takes into account the photographic needs of spotters :roll:

A team from UK Rail Ltd are currently working along the line testing the soil to a depth of between 5m and 10m to identify its suitability for the supports used for the overhead lines.

And a team from Rail UK Forums are currently working around the station testing the platforms to identify their suitability for the supports used for tripods.

Stuart-h

Would be intrestering to find out who the princil contractor would be on the line.

aylesbury

The bridge over theA41 at Aylesbury Parkway has been renewed as a single track span but with the supports ready for another track.Must admit that new one is a lot better than the old and at the site of Waddesdon Road station a great deal of work has taken place on stabalising work etc.The trackside has been cleared and new fencing has gone up so maybe this will be a work access site.

Status
Not open for further replies.