• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blind person with guide dog ignored & discriminated against

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-38027203
(article contains a video with some sample footage)
Unable to see the world around him, Amit Patel fitted his guide dog with a camera and set about recording evidence of the discrimination he faced but could not see...

"The video came out of necessity," Patel says. "Kika was getting hit by peoples' bags and she was getting a lot of abuse. A woman stopped me one day and had a go at me for holding everyone up and said I should apologise, which was a real shock."

The former doctor found a solution - attach a GoPro to Kika's harness and film every journey. Patel's wife, Seema, can then review the footage if it is felt there was something amiss about that day.

And when alterations were made to a London train station the camera came into its own.

"I asked for help and no one came," Patel recounts. "The video shows lots of staff standing around me and this one guy looking over many times....
Has anyone witnessed something like this?

Has anyone experienced it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
This sort of discrimination happens a lot sadly, but interestingly and unfortunately for this chap London and particularly staff at major terminals are the best at helping blind pax so dont know what happened that day but its certainly not what I am used to.

Elsewhere there is quite a lot of people who begrudge guide dog owners in particular and VI in general and dont trouble to hide it im sorry to say.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I find it offensive when blind people and their guide dogs are treated badly. I've never seen it happen. If I did I'd have to get involved. Down the years I've spoken with lots of people who have guide dogs, and they have all been lovely. I am appalled at the thought of them being discriminated against.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
"The video came out of necessity," Patel says. "Kika was getting hit by peoples' bags and she was getting a lot of abuse. A woman stopped me one day and had a go at me for holding everyone up and said I should apologise, which was a real shock."
The whole article but especially this part made my blood boil.
Sam

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
The whole article but especially this part made my blood boil.
Sam

Fuming.

I helped a chap with severely impaired vision off an EMT service at Lime Street and walked him to Boots in Clayton Square on Tuesday evening. When we got there I found him a member of staff to help. It's just what you do, we all need to help each other. If I'd been in a rush I would have found a staff member to help him.He was a great guy and we had a chat about planes on the way.

We all need to help each other, you never know when you will need it yourself.

Established Member
Fuming.

I helped a chap with severely impaired vision off an EMT service at Lime Street and walked him to Boots in Clayton Square on Tuesday evening. When we got there I found him a member of staff to help. It's just what you do, we all need to help each other. If I'd been in a rush I would have found a staff member to help him.He was a great guy and we had a chat about planes on the way.

I remember helping an elderly gentleman with the early stages of dementia get from Liverpool One to his bus at Queen Square last year. He said the directions would be fine, but as I was going there anyway, I insisted on walking him there and seeing him onto his bus safely. On the way there, he told me it was the first time he'd been into the city centre since he lost his driving licence. I felt really sorry for him, so I felt at least if I saw him to his bus safely, I could sleep easier that night knowing I'd helped the gent as best as I could.

But like you said mate, we need to help each other whenever we can because one day we'll need someone to help us.

Last edited:

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Fuming.

I agree with you fully, I have myself been in a situation around a month ago at Manchester Victoria where a visually impaired gentleman had alighted a TPE train, after speaking to him I learnt that he was trying to get to the Metrolink platforms, as I was in no rush for my train I helped him to the platform and saw him onto his tram.

As you mention, I would always like to think that someone would do the same to me. Perhaps it is how I was brought up but it is second nature to try and help someone if it is clear that they need it.
Sam

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
A blind former doctor has strapped a camera to his guide dog to capture the daily abuse they are subjected to by commuters.
Amit Patel, who lost his sight after undergoing cornea transplants to correct his blurry vision, says he is constantly barged out of the way as he navigates around London.
The 37-year-old claims other travellers step over his guide dog Kika and even hit her with umbrellas to move out of the way on escalators.

The former A&E doctor was working as a locum at hospitals around London when he started losing his sight three years ago, following six cornea transplants in Britain and two in America.
He was diagnosed with the condition keratoconus, which changes the shape of the cornea, during his final year of medical school by his flatmate who was a student optician.
After correcting his vision for around nine months, each transplant was then rejected by his body.
Mr Patel says he has been told to apologise for being in the way and ignored by station staff - so the father-of-one attached a GoPro camera to Kika's back to record the public's behaviour.

His wife Seema reviews the footage at the end of the day and tweets about the pair's travels around the capital.
Mr Patel said people 'deliberately' hit him with their bags: 'They have loads of space to get past but they seem to think it is fun to barge into a blind person.
'Kika always sits to my left hand side so we often block the escalator and people will hit her with bags and umbrellas to get her to move out of the way.

The worst part is the tutting and negative comments behind me. People are so rude and arrogant and assume they can do whatever they want.
'One lady even said I should apologise to the people behind her for holding them up. I asked her if I should apologise for being blind and she said, "yes".
'Sometimes I wonder who is the blind person when there are people glued to their mobile phones.
'It really scares Kika sometimes, I can feel how upset she gets and when I get upset she senses it and she won't go on the escalators for a few days.'

The worst part is the tutting and negative comments behind me. People are so rude and arrogant and assume they can do whatever they want.
'One lady even said I should apologise to the people behind her for holding them up. I asked her if I should apologise for being blind and she said, "yes".
'Sometimes I wonder who is the blind person when there are people glued to their mobile phones.
'It really scares Kika sometimes, I can feel how upset she gets and when I get upset she senses it and she won't go on the escalators for a few days.'

Mr Patel travels by train nearly every day and says he has been ignored by staff when he is in unfamiliar surroundings.
He added: 'Sometimes I get a train with my four-month old son and I say quite loudly "Kika, find me a seat" but no-one budges.
'When my wife reviewed a piece of footage once a lady was sitting on one seat with her shopping on another.
'Sometimes the only way I get a seat is to scratch Kika behind the ears so she shakes a little - no one likes a wet dog. It makes it so much harder than it needs to be.
'There are taxi drivers who will see you and won't stop, sometimes train staff will say they didn't see me when they clearly did.
'People even walk right up to me then swerve at the last minute, and come up to Kika and touch her and distract her while she is walking.
'Losing my sight is very lonely, if I'm travelling by public transport I'm sometimes like a scared little boy sat in the corner.'
Kika even saved her owner's life when a car jumped a red light at a crossing.

Mr Patel added: 'She saw the car, got in front of me and took the hit - the car grazed her nose. It was three days before she could work again.'
Kika, who has been with Mr Patel since 2014, is one of only five per cent of guide dogs trained to take their owner on an escalator.
The former University College Hospital doctor said: 'I've lost the sight completely in my right eye and my left has nearly gone.
'People assume that if you lose your sight that's it, there's no pain, but it's excruciating. My other senses have increased though, my smell, hearing and touch.
Mr Patel now volunteers for RNIB, Action for Blind People and Guide Dogs for the Blind to help coach new guide dog users.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...jected-rush-hour-commuters.html#ixzz4Uw2zLNe9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sad to see this happening. I would think station staff would be more helpful, or maybe he needs to book assistance?

adc82140

Established Member
It's come to a sad state of affairs if someone visually impaired needs to book assistance- this is not like booking wheelchair ramps and trained personnel to use them- this is basic levels of help from staff- and no staff member should be above giving basic assistance, and this is what Mr Patel needed.

Via Bank

If you have to book assistance, that is a barrier stopping you from completing a journey at short notice.

Disabled people should not have to plan their lives down to the minute to make it more convenient for society to accommodate their needs.

TUC

Established Member
I find it really difficult to know how to respond to this. My wife is a guide dog owner and I'm certainly not saying that assistance in stations is perfect, and she has encountered people being annoying, such as stroking the dog when he's working (even though the harness has a notice saying 'please don't distract me when i'm working'). However she has never come across people being rude, nor has she gone long periods in a busy place without someone offering help. I'm not aware of any such issues from other guide owners either.

I find it very difficult to say this, but there was just something about the man's attitude that seemed like he wanted and expected to find problems and, like in other areas of life, if you have a mindset to look for problems, you'll find them.

backontrack

Established Member
If people will not understand how much more difficult life is like for these people - and will actively make it harder for them - then they're the disabled ones.

fowler9

Established Member
I find it really difficult to know how to respond to this. My wife is a guide dog owner and I'm certainly not saying that assistance in stations is perfect, and she has encountered people being annoying, such as stroking the dog when he's working (even though the harness has a notice saying 'please don't distract me when i'm working'). However she has never come across people being rude, nor has she gone long periods in a busy place without someone offering help. I'm not aware of any such issues from other guide owners either.

I find it very difficult to say this, but there was just something about the man's attitude that seemed like he wanted and expected to find problems and, like in other areas of life, if you have a mindset to look for problems, you'll find them.

I get your meaning and there are indeed some people in life who are troublehunters rather than troubleshooters. Without knowing the guy though it is difficult to know what his personality is. Also there are some bad people out there to. It doesn't take many bad experiences for confirmation bias to kick in and start thinking everyone is bad.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Possibly but not necessarily; it also depends on what sort of journeys you make (where and when), and who you are with and what you look like.

randyrippley

Established Member
I hate to say it, but I strongly suspect a lot of the antagonism he experiences is race related, not because he's blind.
His being blind just makes it easier for idiots to victimise "an asian" without getting any risk to themselves. His being blind just disguises the real issue - racial discrimination / hatred

Abpj17

The video didn’t look that bad? It was outside a station and a crowd of people. I can understand why he was cross but 5 mins isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things. The abuse from other passengers as others have flagged is awful though.

backontrack

Established Member
The video didn’t look that bad? It was outside a station and a crowd of people. I can understand why he was cross but 5 mins isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things. The abuse from other passengers as others have flagged is awful though.
It is if you can't see anything. Being in a busy, jostling crowd, and not being able to see would anything, is probably very distressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.