• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blokes avoiding the urinals and peeing all over the toilet seat instead. Is this a thing now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Allied to the question posed by the OP....the gym/pool that I have used for 15 years have very recently converted two of the communal showers into cubicles, probably following requests, so there might be a developing trend. Mostly, it appears, they are used by young people (can't help noticing when I am enjoying my communal shower!)

I will happily have a communal shower after sport. I am not an Adonis by any means but am relaxed enough not to care! We are all the same underneath and if someone wants to check me out they must lead a very odd life but good luck to them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Trouser manufacturers don't help in that respect; in many cases the zips they provide now are too short to be of real use. There have been complaints of that nature in newspapers, so it seems to be fairly widespread; probably cost cutting - presumably shorter zips cost less and multiply that by the millions of pairs of trousers sold each year...

Same reason why some trousers have very narrow pockets from which everything falls out.

IanD

Established Member
The immune system is pretty good and you can't catch STDs from a bog seat, there has AIUI never been a single case of this happening as the viruses can't live outside the body for any significant length of time.

Reminds me of the old joke:
Doctor: I'm afraid you've got an STD
Patient: I must have caught that from a toilet seat
Doctor: You must have been chewing it, it's in your gums

Exactly. Is touching the outside of your, erm......................................... sausage ( not sure if the actual word or colloquialisms are allowed) very briefly really that different to touching, say, your arm? I get if you have had a sit down toilet session you are going to want to wash but I am not sure that merely using a urinal necessarily needs a vast hand washing ritual thereafter. I do wash my hands but more out of habit than anything else

Exactly. What I do is give my Hampton a thorough scrubbing at the start of the day, saves a lot of faffing around with handwashing later on. It usually stays in my underpants most of the day which are always clean on so I know where it's been and what it's been in contact with. On the rare occasions that it gets used for other purposes then I may wash my hands. If I use a cubicle for a pee, I will always lift the seat with my foot. So, if you see me washing my hands in a public toilet then I've unexpectedly got lucky (but not in the public toilet!) Or been desperate for a dump. Or both. ;)

underbank

Established Member
With the ever increasing numbers of gender-neutral/unisex toilets, urinals will soon become a thing of the past anyway, when there are no separate "gents" and "ladies" loos.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
With the ever increasing numbers of gender-neutral/unisex toilets, urinals will soon become a thing of the past anyway, when there are no separate "gents" and "ladies" loos.
If that ever does become the norm why could the urinals not be kept for those who identity as a man and cubicles also available for people who identity as woman, non binary and others?

IanD

Established Member
And I'm sure public toilet seats used to be horseshoe shaped, with a gap at the front so people too lazy to lift wouldn't pee on the seat.

upload_2019-9-10_9-32-11.png

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
And I'm sure public toilet seats used to be horseshoe shaped, with a gap at the front so people too lazy to lift wouldn't pee on the seat.

View attachment 68374
I'm sure I remember the loo seats on older loco-hauled stock (Mk1/Mk2?) having a gap at the front of the seat.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Has no-one ever tried to create a loo seat that can be raised/lowered (either mechanically or electronically) by pushing a button? That would solve a lot of problems to do with hygiene and people's reluctance to touch seats.

Devonian

Bringing this nicely back to the railways, yes mechanically raised seats have been invented: British Rail's XP64 coaches featured lavatories which were described as "flushed by a foot pedal, which also raises the seat". And Italy's trains still feature sprung/weighted seats that return to the upright position after the seated user has risen.

westv

Established Member
Same reason why some trousers have very narrow pockets from which everything falls out.
On the subject of clothes, what is it with this new (?) fad for men's underwear with no fly opening? Pure madness if you ask me.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have noticed that this is seems a thing with the younger generation. My son has always had an aversion to using a urinal since a young age and always went for the privacy of a cubicle which I could never understand. I then started noticing that many young people in places like train stations and motorway services would queue for cubicles even when urinals were free.
Can’t say I’ve noticed that but wonder if the reluctance to “stand up” is something to do with people being brought up in households without a father. Someone I know grew up with only their mother and never goes standing up because they were never taught how to as they never had a father in their life when growing up and when it was brought up were chastised as the toilet seat always remains down in the bathroom at their home.

Meerkat

Established Member
The gender neutral business stealing our urinals is really annoying.
Why not just have gender neutral urinals? Don’t care what gender you identify as, if you can use them you are welcome to use them. Speeds the queue up and reduces the bad aim problem.
The gender neutral cubicles with their own sink etc could surely fit a urinal in?
Reckon I might go on Dragons Den with a set up that has a urinal and toilet sharing the same cistern and sewer pipe. Would save lots of domestic grief.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Take your point...but I did spend over 35 years in Nursing and so I will always be conscious of infection control! I do understand that there are many different kinds of taps and the 'press down' taps are the worst, but there is evidence from what I recall that far more germs are spread by not washing hands than washing them....especially for those who have just used toilet paper for wiping themselves.
Trains used to have clear signage in the toilet...'Gentlemen lift the seat'.

Has anyone tried to keep the seat raised on a moving Pacer? It usually seems to fall down at the first hint of rough track - often in "mid-pee".

IanD

Established Member
Is anyone really that bothered though? Personally I don’t anyone is ever “looking” as such. People want to empty and go.

Well, I think this bloke quoted below is obviously looking.

Well, put into plain terms some men do touch their sausage roll to give it a little shake whilst others give it amore vigorous shake if their meat is more covered up than normal to remove excess urine. Hygiene depends on these factors. If not covered at all say, only zips and trousers need to be touched of course.

My biggest gripe is men not retracting who otherwise should due to their poor aim. Being splashed by someone else’s urine is not at all pleasant. Don’t get me started on the ones with phimosis. I did avoid urines in college for a while after that incident

Jeez, with that level of scrutiny, no wonder people are using the cubuicles :lol:

tom73

I disagree.

I have noticed that this is seems a thing with the younger generation. My son has always had an aversion to using a urinal since a young age and always went for the privacy of a cubicle which I could never understand. I then started noticing that many young people in places like train stations and motorway services would queue for cubicles even when urinals were free.

I think it is all that social media rubbish over body image which is responsible for this nonsense ; I don't think my generation had any issues with using urinals and would not have taken the extra time associated with using a cubicle owing to an indoctrinated (and irrational) fear of being accosted by someone cottaging.

Nonsense? I have always considered it undignified and degrading to be expected to join a row of total strangers doing something that should be done in private. I ALWAYS go in a cubicle and I also ALWAYS sit down. Social media was a long time in the future as were home computers when I was a teenager.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Nonsense? I have always considered it undignified and degrading to be expected to join a row of total strangers doing something that should be done in private. I ALWAYS go in a cubicle and I also ALWAYS sit down. Social media was a long time in the future as were home computers when I was a teenager.

Of course, the requirement for privacy, even when sitting down, is a comparatively modern concern. In medieval times, it was not unknown for important individuals to sit together in the garde robe "doing their business".

trebor79

Established Member
Of course, the requirement for privacy, even when sitting down, is a comparatively modern concern. In medieval times, it was not unknown for important individuals to sit together in the garde robe "doing their business".

Indeed, and other parts of the world have different customs. A colleague of mine spent 3 months at one of our factories in rural China.
There were no cubicles in the toilet, just a trench for everyone to squat over. They would chat and joke as they did their business and laughed at the English guys going back to their hotel for a dump.
They also didn't always use the toilets, and there was a gentleman employed to collect all of the frozen turds (Inner Mongolia is cold in winter) and thrown them onto a bonfire.
Even more disgusting apparently was the nose picking and bogey flicking habit.
He told me "they'll ask you to go at some point. Just say no."

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed, and other parts of the world have different customs. A colleague of mine spent 3 months at one of our factories in rural China.
There were no cubicles in the toilet, just a trench for everyone to squat over. They would chat and joke as they did their business and laughed at the English guys going back to their hotel for a dump.
They also didn't always use the toilets, and there was a gentleman employed to collect all of the frozen turds (Inner Mongolia is cold in winter) and thrown them onto a bonfire.
Even more disgusting apparently was the nose picking and bogey flicking habit.
He told me "they'll ask you to go at some point. Just say no."

I'm not sure I'd rate nose picking/flicking as more disgusting than outdoor pooing !

trebor79

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd rate nose picking/flicking as more disgusting than outdoor pooing !
You might if you had to sit in a meeting room of 20 or so people partaking in the activity, whilst having the meeting. Apparently they flicked them onto the radiator, which was liberally covered in baked, crusty mucus.
At least you can walk away if someone decides to drop their trousers.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Has anyone tried to keep the seat raised on a moving Pacer? It usually seems to fall down at the first hint of rough track - often in "mid-pee".
I always stand when relieving myself - apart from on trains. Precisely for the reason you’ve just given. (I learnt that lesson the hard way on a HST at 125mph though :D)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You might if you had to sit in a meeting room of 20 or so people partaking in the activity, whilst having the meeting. Apparently they flicked them onto the radiator, which was liberally covered in baked, crusty mucus.
At least you can walk away if someone decides to drop their trousers.

That can't do the efficiency of the radiator much good either, I suppose.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

each to their own but I really don't get this. As i said previously: try going to the match and expecting privacy and a sit down!

None is going to be checking you out and no one is going to try and molest you!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
each to their own but I really don't get this. As i said previously: try going to the match and expecting privacy and a sit down!

None is going to be checking you out and no one is going to try and molest you!

Nor are they likely to if there were no cubicles to have a dump (see the China example above) but would you mind that? I think I prefer to sit down in peace if needing that :)

(admittedly the chance of "sitting down in peace" at a football ground is low :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.