• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blood Pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWTH

Had my medical for FGW (Conductor) today, seems there may be an issue with my blood pressure. It's not massively high, but it's above average and the nurse hasn't passed me, instead I've been asked to speak to my doctor about it (booked in tomorrow to be checked).

I've never had issues before, last check was 5 weeks ago and everything was normal - I do have a high BMI (40), but I have been losing weight gradually, as work commitments permit.

She checked twice, first time it was 137 over 98, second time was 141 over 101, both with heartbeat at around 92-93bpm.

Question is, does this mean the end of the line for me as a conductor?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Can't help on the job front, but whenever I've had blood pressure checked at a doctors, it has always been higher than another time

Trog

Established Member
I would think you will be OK as they are letting me wander round the railway at 144/80 at 52 beats per minute and a BMI of 35. Your doctor will probably put you on something to lower the pressure as well.

The paperwork I have suggests the following targets.
Blood pressure 150/90 or lower.
BMI 18.5 to 25
BPM 60 to 100

Saltire

She checked twice, first time it was 137 over 98, second time was 141 over 101, both with heartbeat at around 92-93bpm.

Question is, does this mean the end of the line for me as a conductor?

As you can see it actually went up for the second reading - this may be down to "whitecoat syndrome" basically a sub-conscious anxiety which is only present when it's being taken - normally it's fine.
It would definitely be worth talking to your GP about and maybe you might get another chance at that part of the medical :)

richw

Veteran Member
The doctor should be able to prescribe you tablets to bring it down, whether this would be acceptable I don't know.
In preparation for a medical Blood Pressure can be lowered by certain things. A long walk of say an hour typically reduces blood pressure for an hour or so afterwards for example. Also eating or not eating prior to the check can also adjust your pressure.

hughavinalaf

In the longer term.....look at re-evaluating your diet by including more greens,pulses,nuts and whole grain foods along with lean proteins and oily fish.Cut back the junk,alcohol,caffeine and nicotine.

Introduce more water and herbal tea's.

Beetroot and cherry juice along with celery are also nutrition aids to help lower your BP.

Finally,exercise,both cardio and resistance.

Good luck.

richw

Veteran Member
With a BMI of 40.....? I love an optimist though;)

My BMI is 36, so not quite this but not far off, and I had a blood pressure of 121/78 at my most recent medical.
I don't know who was more shocked at that me or the nurse!

beavercreek

I'm driving trains and only passed my medical a year ago with a blood pressure reading of 139/89 which is controlled by Three different types of BP lowering medication.My BMI is about 30 and I'm in my mid thirties.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Probably just nerves. No need to worry at the moment. Suggest you see your GP anyway for another measurement, and you might get given a blood pressure monitor to take home and see what your pressures are like throughout the day. You won't (shouldn't) be prescribed any medication for it immediately - unless your pressures were excessively high.

rr203

It is not a rule that high bmi equals high blood pressure. My bmi is 32, bp is usually 105/65 or thereabouts...anyway, try lowering your high bp by modifying life style is always a better option than taking tablets.
Good luck

Rory

Nym

Established Member
My last medical it was rather high, probably as it was towards the end of a five hour medical...

Got another one coming up soon and not looking forwards to it.

hughavinalaf

It is not a rule that high bmi equals high blood pressure. My bmi is 32, bp is usually 105/65 or thereabouts...anyway, try lowering your high bp by modifying life style is always a better option than taking tablets.
Good luck

Rory

Obesity does present an increased risk though,the same as it does of developing diabetes and/or cardiac/CVA issues.

Seems to me a few could do with a lifestyle rethink before it gets to that stage.

rr203

Obesity does present an increased risk though,the same as it does of developing diabetes and/or cardiac/CVA issues.

Seems to me a few could do with a lifestyle rethink before it gets to that stage.
I am not in disagreement with you here, quite the contrary in fact. My observation was more of a caveat: high bmi does not always translates in high bp, and this can give a false sense of security... if I may add, bmi on its own is not a very precise parameter to ascertain someone's overall fitness. Measuring the percentage of fat in a patient's body should be done alongside it.

ed1971

In the longer term.....look at re-evaluating your diet by including more greens,pulses,nuts and whole grain foods along with lean proteins and oily fish.Cut back the junk,alcohol,caffeine and nicotine.

Introduce more water and herbal tea's.

Beetroot and cherry juice along with celery are also nutrition aids to help lower your BP.

Finally,exercise,both cardio and resistance.

Good luck.

I too have high blood pressure problems. It first started in 2003, but had settled down without medication during the last 3 years. However, a year ago it started going very high. I started taking measurements at home and one night it had gone as high as 207/117mmhg! I should add that I have never drunk or smoked, don't add salt to food and walk a lot. It appears to be inherited, as almost all my dad's side of the family have had it.

Anti hypertensive drugs can have all sorts of side effects and one which suits one person doesn't suit another. A common side effect of a lot of them is impotence. I have been taking Felodipine for a number of months now and cut out sugar in drinks, with good blood pressure readings recently.

Thanks for your advice, hughavinalaf, I will take onboard what you have advised. However, I also have an hiatus hernia with almost daily acid reflux trouble, so I have to be careful what I eat and drink.

SWTH

Thanks for the advice folks, it's much appreciated.

Regarding diet and exercise, whilst I try to do as much as possible, my current employment rather works against it. I'm usually at work 11-13hrs a day, 6 or 7 days a week. To take Wednesday for example, I booked on at 0630 (having got up at 0530), had a 55 min break between 1205 and 1300, and booked off at 1840, half an hour late (normal for the duty). Got home at 1910, ate, washed and put daughter to bed, took dog for 45 min walk and was in bed for 2200, ready to be up at 0530 again.

That's pretty much my routine for 6 or 7 days a week. I'd like to work less, but I can't afford to. I'd like to exercise more, but until someone invents the 36hr day, I'm stuck.

The solution is to get out of where I am, which is what I'm trying to do....

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
My observation was more of a caveat: high bmi does not always translates in high bp, and this can give a false sense of security...

Not always...but usually, high BMI is most definitely associated with high BP. And high BP (hypertension) opens the gateway to a shedload of other health problems, as somebody else has pointed out.

Have you had a HbA1c? If I were you, I would go and ask for this at your GP surgery. The HbA1c is a blood sugar test and is a firm predictor of your long-term health

Nym

Established Member
No, but to put it bluntly I need the money. Even at those hours I'm only taking £375 a week home, given Cornish living costs it isn't enough.

One has to wonder just how high the living costs are down there in Cornwall considering I lived in Manchester on significantly less take-home than that, including running a car before you mention that.

Even living in outer London I know plenty of people managing in their own flat on less than that.

SWTH

Bear in mind I have a wife and child to support. Cornwall is considered one of the most expensive places to live outside of London, yet it is also considered one of the poorest regions in Europe. My two-bed box costs £700 p/m to rent. A big 3 bed semi where I grew up in Shropshire is £550, and the wages are higher.

TDK

Established Member
If you do go to your GP don't forget to tell him that you intend to carry out safety critical duties as the drugs he may prescribe may not be permitted.

SWTH

As predicted by 455driver, blood pressure checked at local surgery and found to be what they consider normal - 122 over 90. Previous check a few months ago on record showed 130 over 70.

So, back to FGW with the results.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
. My two-bed box costs £700 p/m to rent.

Are you in Truro as per your profile? I moved to Redruth as couldn't afford to live there any longer, it's cheaper to drive and pay my rent here than to live in truro and walk to work.
Our wages are well publicised as amongst the lowest and living costs amongst the highest in the country down here.
I used to do those kind of hours when I worked at McDs, I now get similar income to that you mention but only doing 37.5 hours a week.

hughavinalaf

As predicted by 455driver, blood pressure checked at local surgery and found to be what they consider normal - 122 over 90. Previous check a few months ago on record showed 130 over 70.

So, back to FGW with the results.

Your diastolic(lower) is borderline Hypertensive,certainly not normal.

hughavinalaf

It isn't perfect but it isn't medically classed as high.
See chart attached

A lower reading of 90 is not normal range,as I pointed out above,its just entering hypertension territory and,as such,needs monitoring at best.

I know what i'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.