• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Bell Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

I wouldn't say all seems to be on schedule just yet, considering the bluebell are supposed to have a line through imberhorne by the start of summer.

http://www.philpot.me/latest.html

Although progress seems to have resumed this week, it seems to have taken them nearly a month before restarting work again. I have to admit that im even more confused about what theyre doing now, as they spent all this time at the southern end of Imberhorne digging deep (depth, not length) into the cutting and raising the trackbed, whilst at the over end, they seem to be almost terracing out the spoil to create a ramp going upwards in height - which make me wonder, if its going to end up with one set of work completed but to a lower level, with this second lot at a higher level (if this makes sense).

_

As I understand it the trackbed is being raised from both ends to meet in the middle, and any surplus clay (not waste) will be moved away southwards. The gradient is going to be 1 in 60 (matching the steepest elsewhere on the Bluebell). Mr Philpot's photos give a good and appreciated record of what is happening, but his commentary is his own opinion/understanding and doesn't necessarily reflect the decisions and policies of the Railway.

Steve B

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cyberbeagle

I wouldn't say all seems to be on schedule just yet, considering the bluebell are supposed to have a line through imberhorne by the start of summer.

Although progress seems to have resumed this week, it seems to have taken them nearly a month before restarting work again. I have to admit that im even more confused about what theyre doing now, as they spent all this time at the southern end of Imberhorne digging deep (depth, not length) into the cutting and raising the trackbed, whilst at the over end, they seem to be almost terracing out the spoil to create a ramp going upwards in height - which make me wonder, if its going to end up with one set of work completed but to a lower level, with this second lot at a higher level (if this makes sense).

_

So at one end they're going lower and at the other they're going higher??

I was at Imberhorne actually this time last week and didn't see much going on at the Imberhorne Lane end, the machines weren't working.

The pics of yours showing the cutting from the north end do tend to suggest that it's going up quite a height, but part of me thinks that until all the reprofiling is done we won't quite see what they are aiming for, and that it could come down quite a bit once they start on the south side. Certainly it looks too high at the minute, but maybe after compacting it, etc...?

A site plan with drawings on the Bluebell website illustrating the grand plan would be welcome! ;) :)

LE Greys

Established Member

_

Impressive. I'll have to find the time to go and have a look eventually.

PUFFINGBILLY

Instead of trying to endlessly second guess the why how or when of progress to East Grinstead, or the progress of any other heritage railway development by sitting on their backsides at a computer and finding fault or being critical, I wish arnchair critics would either join as a volunteer and get their hands dirty or change the habits of a lifetime and actually put their hands in pockets and exchange mouth for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.