• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

blue livery with red/ white stripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
good afternoon to you all,

I have been browsing the forum for quite some time, an really enjoy this particulr seciton :D

I am a fan of the old blue livery with the white/ red stripe, I believe this was "South East" ?? could anyone enlighten me on this, and which classes this came in exactly?

I would love to see some photo and read up on this.

Thanks, J, :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
good afternoon to you all,

I have been browsing the forum for quite some time, an really enjoy this particulr seciton :D

I am a fan of the old blue livery with the white/ red stripe, I believe this was "South East" ?? could anyone enlighten me on this, and which classes this came in exactly?

I would love to see some photo and read up on this.

Thanks, J, :)
Network SouthEast was the livery in question, and it was applied to most stock operating in and out of London on commuter services, such as the Southern Region slam-door EMUs and DEMUs, the Class 321s out of Liverpool Street, the Networker fleet (165/166/365/465/466) and even loco-hauled trains, such as the Class 50s.

sd0733

Established Member
That sounds like the Network South East branding that was in use from 1986 through to Privatisation although some stock lasted in it until relatively recently. There was a massive range of rolling stock in it, with 47/50/86 locos, heritage DMUs and more modern 159/165/166, 205/207 DEMUs and 302/305/307/308/309/310/312/313/315/317/319/321/365/411/412/421/422/423/442/465/466 emus and MK1 and Mk2 coaches. Could well have missed some there too.
There's a website I found set up to detail all things NSE by the looks of it: http://www.networksoutheast.net/site-map.html

NSE

Established Member
The livery was for Network South East. If you google 'Network South East Livery' various trains will come up. They operated all the commuter trains (roughly speaking) in the London and South East area. The livery was applied to existing stock such as they 421/423 slammers and brand new stock such as the Networkers (165,166,365,465,466), who's name was bought on by Network South East ordering them. The livery lasted a long time into privatisation, I think the last unit was a 456, and a quite a few elements of it last to this day in the form of platform tiling, platform signs etc. The Northern City Line platform walls are probably the best example left.

delt1c

Established Member
If Memory serves me correct there was also a 33 and 73 in NSE livery. There were 2 differnt styles and shades to the livery. And with 86.401 in NSE livery it was possible to see it as Far North as Glasgow

sd0733

Established Member
There's also 87012 in NSE think that still carried NSE when it was exported so is probably trundling round Bulgaria in the livery.

sprinterguy

Established Member
There's also 87012 in NSE think that still carried NSE when it was exported so is probably trundling round Bulgaria in the livery.
Yes that loco still carries the remnants of its' NSE livery, although it's worth noting that was only applied retrospectively, many years after Network Southeast had ceased to exist, in response to London's successful bid to host the Olympics.

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member

Although an livery variant this was for the 2012 London Olympics so not true NSE

387star

On Moderation
Plenty of this branding still around

From chichester signalbox signage to the solent link sign at fareham and a painted stripe at selhurst depot on one of the out buildings

Not to mention salisbury west of england depot signage and red clocks still in use at a number of stations especially aga manned stations

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
455s and 456s used to be in NSE livery. What class was it (variant of the 455 design) that used to operate out of Kings X? Whatever it was they were also in NSE livery

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
455s and 456s used to be in NSE livery. What class was it (variant of the 455 design) that used to operate out of Kings X? Whatever it was they were also in NSE livery

317s.

NSE was also found one one of the Doncaster 307s which kept it until they were replaced by 321s. One of the 308s sent up was also in NSE but never saw service, instead becoming a spares donor on Neville Hill depot.

321over360

There are alot of NSE things around on the network, including at Barking station where still some NSE Car Stops plus station name signs

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's a lot of NSE branding still around as they went very hard at branding everything to show that things had changed, to show the unified approach to management of the sector and the changes to customer service etc that were part of the brand. Even the Waterloo & City line, at that time still part of British Rail, got the branding, both on the old 1940 stock and the (current) 1992 stock. As well as the red white and blue livery and signs, there wwere the (in)famous red lampposts every where!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's a lot of NSE branding still around as they went very hard at branding everything to show that things had changed, to show the unified approach to management of the sector and the changes to customer service etc that were part of the brand. Even the Waterloo & City line, at that time still part of British Rail, got the branding, both on the old 1940 stock and the (current) 1992 stock. As well as the red white and blue livery and signs, there wwere the (in)famous red lampposts every where!

It even cropped up in places a long way from the south east- during the 1990s there was a FastTicket machine at Huddersfield with an NSE logo, and PERTIS machines up the Aire and Wharfe valleys similarly branded.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Other locos not already mentioned include 08600 (97800) 'IVOR', 08631 'Eagle C.U.R.C.' and 03179.

Yes that loco still carries the remnants of its' NSE livery, although it's worth noting that was only applied retrospectively, many years after Network Southeast had ceased to exist, in response to London's successful bid to host the Olympics.

Although an livery variant this was for the 2012 London Olympics so not true NSE

Not entirely true. With time running out for the 87s on the West Coast Mainline, two 87s were picked for special liveries to be applied (chosen by public vote). 87012 was painted NSE and did get the 'Back the Bid London 2012' lettering in place of 'Network Southeast', while 87019 got repainted in LNWR black, a livery it also still carries. After the bid for the 2012 Olympics was won, the wording on 87012 was changed to 'Host City London 2012'.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
There is also a DEMU (thumper) on the Epping-Ongar railway painted in Network SouthEast livery by its volunteers - well worth a look
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and there is also a hut in NSE livery outside Selhurst depot

kraiken

The best station example I've been through relatively frequently: City Thameslink - funded by the City of London, now managed by Thameslink but they seemingly have not been allowed to change the signage or brand it.

AJM580

When doing the Moorgate - Finsbury Park line recently - there was still NSE signage on most of the underground stations such as Old Street & Essex Road. The locos painted in NSE livery often tended to wander away from the area. Here in Norwich we used to see the 47s painted quite frequently on services, during 1987 an early morning diagram had a NSE 47 and MkII stock work from Norwich to Cambridge.

trash80

Established Member
It even cropped up in places a long way from the south east- during the 1990s there was a FastTicket machine at Huddersfield with an NSE logo, and PERTIS machines up the Aire and Wharfe valleys similarly branded.

Lapworth near Brum still has a NSE branded permit to travel machine

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
would there have ever been a class 55 in this livery? :D

In short, not even a remote possibility.

Surprisingly there isn't a Network SouthEast Deltic on fictitious liveries...
When doing the Moorgate - Finsbury Park line recently - there was still NSE signage on most of the underground stations such as Old Street & Essex Road. The locos painted in NSE livery often tended to wander away from the area. Here in Norwich we used to see the 47s painted quite frequently on services, during 1987 an early morning diagram had a NSE 47 and MkII stock work from Norwich to Cambridge.

I saw a YouTube video recently showing a summer cross country service formed of NSE mk2s heading north from, of all places, Doncaster!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In short, not even a remote possibility.

I'm actually surprised, reading up on their post-withdrawl history. Chris Green personally arranged for two of them to be stored at NSE locations- I wonder how close it actually came to giving one a special paint job?

physics34

Established Member

Remember the 455/9s used to have a slight variation. They had a thin white stripe above the red stripe along the top of the body/roof.
I've previously argued about the need for doors to be painted a different colour to the train body for helping poorly sighted people and the view that it is overkill (there a far bigger risks for poorly sighted people on the railway and in daily life).

Just imagine NSE and Intercity swallow wouldn't have existed as we know them back then if these laws were in place

sprinterguy

Established Member
I've previously argued about the need for doors to be painted a different colour to the train body for helping poorly sighted people and the view that it is overkill (there a far bigger risks for poorly sighted people on the railway and in daily life).

Just imagine NSE and Intercity swallow wouldn't have existed as we know them back then if these laws were in place
Personally I don't think that grey or silver-grey doors on Intercity and graduated blue and white doors on NSE, akin to Chiltern's livery which is a pretty straightforward derivation from NSE anyway, would have looked out of place.

A0wen

On Moderation
Here in Norwich we used to see the 47s painted quite frequently on services, during 1987 an early morning diagram had a NSE 47 and MkII stock work from Norwich to Cambridge.

That was probably a less surprising example though.

NSE covered Cambridge and on the GEML to Manningtree.

The 47 was probably a Stratford based one which had worked - either a Liverpool St - Norwich express - some of which were probably still diesel hauled having as the GEML electrification to Norwich was about the same time as NSE launched - or it had worked a Cambridge - Liverpool St express, again at the time NSE launched neither route to London was electrified from Cambridge (the GE line wasn't wired north of Bishops Stortford and the GN wasn't wired north of Royston).

physics34

Established Member
Personally I don't think that grey or silver-grey doors on Intercity and graduated blue and white doors on NSE, akin to Chiltern's livery which is a pretty straightforward derivation from NSE anyway, would have looked out of place.

what about on a 4VEP ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.