• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Pullman Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Well, kind of:

http://railwayherald.com/uknews/blue-pullman-takes-to-the-rails-in-november
Statesman Rail has confirmed that the latest charter train venture from Locomotive Services Limited will begin with an inaugural journey later this year.

Rumours have circulated for sometime that the LSL-owned HST set would appear in a somewhat different livery. It has now been confirmed that both powercars and all nine trailer vehicles are to be outshopped in a modified 'Blue Pullman' livery, close to that of the original trains. Like the original sets, the HST powercar will not carry a yellow front end, thanks to modified highlights.

The train is being painted and assembled at Eastleigh Works by Arlington Fleet Services...

https://www.statesmanrail.com/journey/the-midland-pullman
To celebrate the 60th anniversary of this iconic train we are honoured to present our own refurbished high speed train as a faithful revival offering tours in 2021 throughout Britain.
An interesting venture!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That ain’t going anywhere without a yellow front. The lights are non-compliant with the current standards, so unless they are modified....
The article implies that they will be to comply.

On Moderation
The article implies that they will be to comply.
In which case the renders are wrong, as they need the top marker light, unless they are mounting it on the desk, showing through the windscreen?

John Hunt

If it is the HST painted to look like a Pullman, it's a con.

Statesman Rail are a bit out of order showing a picture (artists impression?) of the original Pullman.

The Midland Pullman used to run through Leicester and I can remember, as a schoolboy, seeing it., then having a cuppa from the 'steam engine' water boiler in the buffet under the glass canopy of Leicester station.

On Moderation
If it is the HST painted to look like a Pullman, it's a con.
Statesman Rail are a bit out of order showing a picture (artists impression?) of the original pullman.
The Midland Pullman used to run through Leicester and I can remember, as a schoolboy, seeing it. Then having a cuppa from
the 'steam engine' water boiler in the buffet under the glass canopy of Leicester Stn.
Why is it a “con”? It’s no different from, say, the Manchester Pullman going from the old
Mark 2 vehicles to Mark 3bs in the 1980s. The “Pullman” name is more associated with the on board service as a premium brand.

xotGD

Established Member
A nice piece of innovative thinking.

They clearly believe that the high end charter market is much more lucrative than regular day trippers or cranks.

Iskra

Established Member
A nice piece of innovative thinking.

They clearly believe that the high end charter market is much more lucrative than regular day trippers or cranks.

HST's being popular, operationally simpler than locos and having high route availability, high top speed and speed differentials could help a lot too.

Although I do think they could have chosen a better livery. I suppose this one really drives the Pullman (premium dining £££) point home.

When did a HST last visit Manchester Piccadilly in passenger service anyone?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When did a HST last visit Manchester Piccadilly in passenger service anyone?

CrossCountry's very occasionally get up there when they substitute for a Voyager. Here's a video from October 2018 for instance (skip to the final minute or so for the arrival at Piccadilly):

I think they've been there more recently than that but that was the first video I could lay my hands on. It's probably fair to say it happens once or twice a year for CrossCountry if I was a gambling man.

John Hunt

Why is it a “con”? It’s no different from, say, the Manchester Pullman going from the old
Mark 2 vehicles to Mark 3bs in the 1980s. The “Pullman” name is more associated with the on board service as a premium brand.

Statesman are offering in their promotion what myself and others in my age group remember as the Blue Pullman. It was more of a DMU than loco hauled carriages.

Darandio

Established Member
Statesman are offering in their promotion what myself and others in my age group remember as the Blue Pullman. It was more of a DMU than loco hauled carriages.

They are offering you their own refurbished High Speed Train, it's all there on the page.

Darandio

Established Member
Yes - that is in the text, but the artists impression header at the top of the page is the 'real' Blue Pullman.

Yes, there is an image of the 'real' Blue Pullman. What is the con here? Are you seriously trying to suggest that it's misleading people into thinking they have revived the real thing and are selling tickets to travel on it later in the year?

The first time the train was mimicked was in 2006 via Hertfordshire Railtours and FM Rail. 2 locomotives and a set of 11 mk2s were painted incl. 8x FO, 2x Mk1 kitchen and 1x BSO. Cotswold Rail then had another dabble in the couple of years after that using some of the ex FM vehicles and a few other ex FGW mk2s that were added to the set with some of them painted to match and others not.

I imagine this is the first attempt that will WOW the passengers adequately as the last attempts were a run of the mill first class dining experience. Not fussed on HSTs personally, but have a suitable amount of respect for them, they are good for pathing long days out and the parent company has the means to make it work. Recall hearing a claim from an inside source there about 9 months ago all these extra things we are now seeing and expansion plans were on the backburner for at least 1 to 2 years, bar purchase of the stock etc, as it was claimed they couldn't manage to do any more than was planned, but it seems that isn't the case as there will be potentially 5-6 types of charter set and brand all under one roof by the end of this year. It's a shame the focus is mostly all on the higher end of the market, as there was and without covid probably would still be room for all ends of the market (said from past sales knowledge that's only a few years out of date). As it goes though, it's their money and their choice so it'll at least be positive for those can afford the upper half of the railtour market who can afford it. The marketing budgets are certainly there too.

Peter C

Established Member
I'd be utterly stunned if any member of Joe Public knew what a Blue Pullman actually was...
I think it could go the same way as "Flying Scotsman". News stories which describe 60103's movements and passings through certain areas attract loads and loads of "normals" (Great Britain XII was a great example), and so many people go I think because they understand (at least part of) the history of the engine, how luxurious the service was, and that it's a famous engine. The news coverage of the return of the Blue Pullman name could have a similar affect, but slightly different. The news are highly unlikely to say "The Blue Pullman is being brought back, but with a different type of train" - they're going to say simply "The Blue Pullman is being brought back". Normals don't care what type of train it will be and many of them, I assume, are going to think that the old trains are back. All you need is a similar livery and the same name.

That probably didn't make much sense - I can try and describe what I mean again if needed. :)

-Peter

DB

I think it could go the same way as "Flying Scotsman". News stories which describe 60103's movements and passings through certain areas attract loads and loads of "normals" (Great Britain XII was a great example), and so many people go I think because they understand (at least part of) the history of the engine, how luxurious the service was, and that it's a famous engine. The news coverage of the return of the Blue Pullman name could have a similar affect, but slightly different. The news are highly unlikely to say "The Blue Pullman is being brought back, but with a different type of train" - they're going to say simply "The Blue Pullman is being brought back". Normals don't care what type of train it will be and many of them, I assume, are going to think that the old trains are back. All you need is a similar livery and the same name.

That probably didn't make much sense - I can try and describe what I mean again if needed. :)

-Peter

It's not a steam loco, therefore the public mostly won't be interested!

On Moderation
It's not a steam loco, therefore the public mostly won't be interested!
If there is one diesel that is recognised by the general public it's "InterCity 125". In some ways, it's a bit odd to dress one up as the Blue Pullman.

Ladder23

Established Member
Lots of negativity, I think it’s beautiful, and I’ll be over the moon to see this run.

BrianW

Established Member
I think it's quite clever. Not sure if it will 'work' regarding getting bookings but it's a commercial enterprise so not my money. Good luck to them.
The ride should be better than the 'original'.
Will there be 'ice cream' staff I wonder- that's the way some referred to the uniform IIRC.

Peter C

Established Member
Will there be 'ice cream' staff I wonder- that's the way some referred to the uniform IIRC.
That rings a bell based off some of the documentaries I've seen - they might have been referred to as "milkmen" as well, or was that earlier diesel drivers?

-Peter :)

Atomix330

Would perhaps think that the original InterCity 125 livery would be more eyecatching.

Would also suggest that HSTs long term could be the way forward for the charter market in the long term because it could be better accomodated pathing wise in terms of top speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.