• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluebell to get an EMU and another diesel in the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavyCrocket

The Bluebell Railway are getting an EMU, 4VEP No. 3417 'Gordon Pettitt'.

It is part of an agreement with Network Rail, who have nowhere for it. So in exchange for a NR paid for connection, Bluebell are buying it for £1! It will be stored on a compound near the north end of the viaduct and won't be connected to the rest of the Bluebell until the waste tip is removed.

Details of the handover are here: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/events/index.html#eg

Also arriving on an 8 week contract is a Class 73 ED loco, believed to be "Pegasus". This will be used on spoil removal work, just south of the waste tip.
This will free up steam locos to be used on passenger services and have reliability issues dealt with. The 08 diesel can't be used as it is limited to 15mph and may not be tough enough.

More information about the extension is here: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/extend.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoshW1992

Established Member
Brilliant! As long as the 73 and the Slammer are not used on passenger services, then thats Ok. Any other railway, I would love it, but not the Bluebell. If its not steam, it doesnt fit, and would ruin the railways magical status.

EE Type 3

Established Member
Brilliant! As long as the 73 and the Slammer are not used on passenger services, then thats Ok. Any other railway, I would love it, but not the Bluebell. If its not steam, it doesnt fit, and would ruin the railways magical status.

So the 08 has no place?

The cheek :roll:;)

Galvanize

Bluebell to do a private charter with the 73 running in push/pull with the 4VEP ;)
With 69 on the blinds when the VEP leads, and JC on the ED's blinds when it leads! To annoy the kettle veg at
that line, the two tone horns will be blaring constantly, announcing the arrival of the new electric era at the steam
railway! :D

Last edited:

34067James

The 08 diesel can't be used as it is limited to 15mph and may not be tough enough.
[/url]

I know 08's are slow but they are pwoerfull things I thought that 08 could do the spoil trains or is it a weak gronk?

Bluebell to do a private charter with the 73 running in push/pull with the 4VEP ;)
With 69 on the blinds when the VEP leads, and JC on the ED's blinds when it leads! To annoy the kettle veg at
that line, the two tone horns will be blaring constantly, announcing the arrival of the new electric era at the steam
railway! :D

Thats when you stoats turn up at the railway :lol::lol:

James

DavyCrocket

I didn't think there was a class 73 named Pegasus :???:

I've since found out that it's called Perseverance, it's the Stewarts Lane shunter.

I'm looking forward to guarding it, so long as the cab is warm (new operational procedure in use for this train - fully fitted, no brake van!)

CraigS

Established Member
I've since found out that it's called Perseverance, it's the Stewarts Lane shunter.

I'm looking forward to guarding it, so long as the cab is warm (new operational procedure in use for this train - fully fitted, no brake van!)

That'll be 73136 then. Same livery as the VEP unit :)

simon 777

Have just find out,73136 is confirmed to visit the Bluebell Railway for 10 Weeks work,arriving by lorry shortly,then driving training required,should be in use mid January,so i understand.

Nice loco.

Established Member
I would have thought a GB ED would assist it to the line :|

Established Member

I'm sure the kettle merchants at bluebell would have loved that, a diesel with lovely bright orange cabs and large orange numbers, at least 136 looks 'heritage' in BR Blue and when after a week of work on the engineers trains it will be slightly easier to hide at the weekend when everyone will be there for the steam.

CraigS

Established Member

Why send a GBRf 73 down to Wimbledon or Bournemouth to collect 3417 when, I'm sure, there's a SWT 73 a lot closer? GBRf didn't provide locos for when the two Lymington Slammers were taken to/from Chart Leacon depot for overhaul back in 2007. SWT did using two of their 73s in top and tail mode.

I understand that SWT have arranged the pathway for 3417 when it is moved to East Grinstead, which is likely another reason why a SWT 73 will be used.

Last edited:

Established Member
Shame Bluebell won't offer service trains, I am sure me and James109 would force ourselves to go

:lol: ;) - ED and SWT veg on tour!

DavyCrocket

Why send a GBRf 73 down to Wimbledon or Bournemouth to collect 3417 when, I'm sure, there's a SWT 73 a lot closer? GBRf didn't provide locos for when the two Lymington Slammers were taken to/from Chart Leacon depot for overhaul back in 2007. SWT did using two of their 73s in top and tail mode.

I understand that SWT have arranged the pathway for 3417 when it is moved to East Grinstead, which is likely another reason why a SWT 73 will be used.

I think you are getting a bit confused.

73136 is being used on the main line for "spoil train" work. This will be Monday to Friday, with the aim being 4 trips a day. There may be the odd train run on Saturdays too. However, a seperate operational plan will be required, as M-F trains will run in a possesion from Horsted Keynes to Imberhorne Bridge (worksite).

The 4VEP is being delivered by 73 and is being arranged by SWT. That's all I know about that! The 4 VEP and its delivering locos will not be on the Bluebell Main Line.

CraigS

Established Member
I think you are getting a bit confused.

73136 is being used on the main line for "spoil train" work. This will be Monday to Friday, with the aim being 4 trips a day. There may be the odd train run on Saturdays too. However, a seperate operational plan will be required, as M-F trains will run in a possesion from Horsted Keynes to Imberhorne Bridge (worksite).

The 4VEP is being delivered by 73 and is being arranged by SWT. That's all I know about that! The 4 VEP and its delivering locos will not be on the Bluebell Main Line.

I'm not getting confused. I'm fully aware that 73136 is to be used on the Bluebell Railway on spoil trains and that a different 73 is to deliver 3417 to EG. There's knowwhere in the post of mine you've quoted where I mention 73136.

I'm not sure what 5872 meant by "I would have thought a GB ED would assist it to the line" (post 21 in this thread), whether he meant a GB ED assiting 73136 or a GB ED assisting 3417. I thought he meant the latter. 1. being that Bluebell Railway isn't connected to the National Rail network therefore a GB ED can't assist 73136 to the line, 2. Stewarts Lane has road access I assume, and I take it that's where 73136 would be loaded onto road transport for movement to the Bluebell, therefore no GBRf involvement and 3. from what I read in a thread on the WNXX forum.

In this thread on the WNXX forum (note that only registered users can view this thread), 5872 (777fred on there) doubts a SWT 73 moving 3417 to East Grinstead and a GB example would be a likely candidate. The post by him on WNXX was a reply to a post saying "I would think that SWT would use one of their own 73s to deliver 3417". Again, this is why I thought 5872 meant a GB ED moving 3417 to East Grinstead.

Perhaps I should've posted my earlier post in reply to 5872/777fred on WNXX and not here.

34067James

Oh I no this one I saw it back in april when Tangmere was hauling the Queen of Scots set to Canterbury West it was on the rear.it made a lovely noise when taking tangmere and the ECS back to the station :razz:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Class_73s_at_Dereham_in_2008.jpg

Do we have the times for this SWT ED move + Vep at all? Would like to see this movement :D

James

DavyCrocket

I'm not getting confused. I'm fully aware that 73136 is to be used on the Bluebell Railway on spoil trains and that a different 73 is to deliver 3417 to EG. There's knowwhere in the post of mine you've quoted where I mention 73136.

I'm not sure what 5872 meant by "I would have thought a GB ED would assist it to the line" (post 21 in this thread), whether he meant a GB ED assiting 73136 or a GB ED assisting 3417. I thought he meant the latter. 1. being that Bluebell Railway isn't connected to the National Rail network therefore a GB ED can't assist 73136 to the line, 2. Stewarts Lane has road access I assume, and I take it that's where 73136 would be loaded onto road transport for movement to the Bluebell, therefore no GBRf involvement and 3. from what I read in a thread on the WNXX forum.

In this thread on the WNXX forum (note that only registered users can view this thread), 5872 (777fred on there) doubts a SWT 73 moving 3417 to East Grinstead and a GB example would be a likely candidate. The post by him on WNXX was a reply to a post saying "I would think that SWT would use one of their own 73s to deliver 3417". Again, this is why I thought 5872 meant a GB ED moving 3417 to East Grinstead.

Perhaps I should've posted my earlier post in reply to 5872/777fred on WNXX and not here.

Ok, fair doos.... I'm more up on the arrangements for when 73136 gets to Bluebell TBH!

Status
Not open for further replies.