• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluebell to get an EMU and another diesel in the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEW

Established Member
25 MPH on the mainline :-x you need your eyes testing 75 MPH is the most they do & 45 MPH tender first ,Oh and if you Tornado it can do 90 MPH which is faster then any diesel it could also do 100MPH :o You say steam has no place on the mainline well the same could be said for diesel .Plus has there been a brand new built Diesel for mainline no do thousands off people turn up to see a diesel off no do they steam yes just look at the Tornado video on youtube at Newcastle that station is packed , if it was a new diesel there would only be 40 people.

Plus if there is trouble on the diesel tours again they will ban diesel on the mainline and they will just keep steam <D

Bring on saturdays tour with Tangmere:p

James
I think its very obvious that nobody is going to agree on the topic of steam vs diesel. I personally don't like steam but if thats your thing, so be it.
Steam on the mainline can be a nuisance sometime as they have a tendency to break down, as do heritage diesels though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't forget 125mph, managed daily by:

HSTs, 220s, 221s, 222s and 180s which are all diesel trains. Don't see any steam managing that sort of speed.

So I laugh at the pathetic 90mph capability of 60163 and casually stroll onto a HST knowing that I can travel at up to 125mph, perhaps even taking the time to wave some profanity at 60163 as we storm past.

34067James

yeah, about that;

90mph - 25, 27, 31, 35, 37, 40, 42, 45, 46, 52, DHP1, DP2, GT3
95mph - 48, 57
100mph - 47, 53, 55
105mph - 50, DP1
125mph - 43, 67, HS4000

:lol:

*Prototypes

Im on about 21st century other wise we could list the steam engines that did those speeds back in there days ;):roll: Plus have you seen any of them do there top speed :???:, I would like too see a Skip hauling a eurostar set on the HS1 at 125 MPH :p
Don't forget 125mph, managed daily by:

HSTs, 220s, 221s, 222s and 180s which are all diesel trains. Don't see any steam managing that sort of speed.

So I laugh at the pathetic 90mph capability of 60163 and casually stroll onto a HST knowing that I can travel at up to 125mph, perhaps even taking the time to wave some profanity at 60163 as we storm past.

Go to Germany and see 4-6-2 No.18.201 which can do 112MPH on the mainline. Your right you wont see a Steam Loco at those speeds now days but they did do them and at 126.4 mph <D

60163 is also capable of doing 100 mph but Network rail Wont let her.<(

And kettles have a place though...............In a kitchen brewing tea :D

That is true , but Steam engines belong on the railways :lol:

James

Established Member
Im on about 21st century other wise we could list the steam engines that did those speeds back in there days ;):roll: Plus have you seen any of them do there top speed :???:

67s are 21st century (some built in 2000 :))
They're absolute top speed is 143mph, but they're are only allowed to do 125mph.

I would like too see a Skip hauling a eurostar set on the HS1 at 125 MPH :p

Skip hauling a 225.
It happens :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
34067James: Steam locomotives may have run at 126mph, but:

a) Were they built/designed to?

b) Did they do this on all of the express services they would have worked?

c) Were they even timetabled to run at this speed?

HSTs were designed to do so, even running at a very maximum of 143mph. Not sure if you heard, but the HST is/was the fastest diesel train in the world, certainly is in the UK. Then there's the fact HSTs run at 125mph all the time on the GWML (where permitted), every day of the week and not just on a single specially-cleared high-speed run.

Electric trains are even better, in that we have the 373s running at 186mph. Nothing else in the UK can run that fast. These too are designed for such high-speed operation, the fastest run they've done on English soil being at 202mph. I've got a sound clip of that special run passing somewhere in Kent on the old PC, it's an incredible sound!

Going abroad to somewhere like Japan and this sort of speed is second-nature.

In my eyes, steam is a 20th Century technology and should stay there. The mere idea of building a new steam locomotive to an ancient design boggles the mind. Then they have the cheek to run it on West Country metals! Keep your North Eastern junk up where it's supposed to be, between Kings Cross and Edinburgh!

34067James

67s are 21st century (some built in 2000 :))
They're absolute top speed is 143mph, but they're are only allowed to do 125mph.

Skip hauling a 225.
It happens :)

Is that true about 67's at 143 :???: When you say skip hauling the 225 is that the old name Intercity 225 or Class 91's :D What speeds do they go at when they are on thunderbird dutys?

Techniquest:

I dont know how many times they did that speed , But I do know that on the ECML they did have a timetable to run at 90 MPH to 110 MPH .Yeah I know HST are the worlds fastest diesel in the world although there are claims that this diesel speed record has been broken twice unofficially by the Russian (168 mph, in 1992) and by the Spanish (159 mph, 2002 ).The thing is with eurostar is they can only reach those speeds on the HS1 they cant reach them on the ashford to london line or the waterloo to Weymouth line might get to 100mph but not 202mph, I see eurostars every time at ashford so I know what they sound like nice and nosiy :D but not as nice as this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2urzl58oc :p Nah don't like Japan they kill whales for the fun <(,

You say steam should stay in the 20th Century then so should heritage diesels .I say 60163 Tornado is a 21st Century Steam engine Its boiler was built brand new in germany in 2001 and most other parts are brand new well the whole trian is built from scratch. Come 14 feb London will be packed with people wanna just see Tornado 8-) But I take you wont be there too see :lol:

90019:
The thing with HST is they have two power units,and steam has none plus they are diesel a different thing from Steam ;) Its stuck in my head now something that Mark Williams said HST were but I cant remember :-x

Anyway think we should shut up now before the mods close the thread.

James

Established Member
Is that true about 67's at 143 :???: When you say skip hauling the 225 is that the old name Intercity 225 or Class 91's :D What speeds do they go at when they are on thunderbird dutys?

They haven't because they're not allowed to, but that is their max possible speed.

Tbh, im not too sure if they reach the full 125mph on thunderbird duties, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did, as both 67 and IC225 are able to, and it would seem a bit pointless getting a 125mph loco if it can't be used at that speed :???:

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thing with the 67s is though they can only run at 125mph so long as the tank's not full or something crazy?

34067James: Correct, I'll not be in London to see 60163 on 14/02/2009, however I may be down there on that date to see and travel on something far more interesting (I'll give you three guesses as to what I'm thinking of doing).

Ilove165's

Thing with the 67s is though they can only run at 125mph so long as the tank's not full or something crazy?

Indeed they can't, otherwise the rails would break...I'm surprised they didn't make the 67s Co-Co's in the first place so they could do 125mph with a full tank...

Sam

DavyCrocket

Correct! It has already gone, in the end it spent about 5 days at East Grinstead. All this has been confirmed in the last 24 hours, following discussions that started, I believe on Saturday.
At least it will be in a safer and more secure location. It is planned to return to East Grinstead at some point in the future. However, there are no timescales at present.

34067James

That is weird that 67's can't do 125 with a full tank but if they damage the rails as 125 with full tank then I can see why though. But can they go 110 MPH with a full tank? :-?

Techniquest: Let me guess your traveling on something boring like a class 220 ,class 378 ,or you are going tube bashing :lol: Just seen your sig and that your on the The Mersey Mancunian that be good at one part as your t+t with a Freightline 66 & a DBS 66 :o

According to several posts on SE Gen and other forums, 3417 is moving from East Grinstead to Eastleigh today behind 73205/209. The two EDs are currently enroute to EG from Tonbridge. From what I've read on one of the posts on SE Gen, the VEP is on loan to Mr Knight/Knights Rail Services.

Latest times @ http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/se-gen/message/16938

Ta RS

I know the vep is to be at the Eastleigh celebrations in may,

James

Last edited:

CraigS

Established Member
Techniquest: Let me guess your traveling on something boring like a class 220 ,class 378 ,or you are going tube bashing :lol:

James, no 378s are in service at the moment so travelling on one isn't possible ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know the vep is to be at the Eastleigh celebrations in may

Yes, I belive it is to be there. Bit early for the open weekend though :lol:

CraigS

Established Member
Its always good to make it early :roll:

I think the reason why it's gone early is the condition of the unit. If they left it until a week or two before the Eastleigh 100 open weekend, the unit may be in quite a state because of the local vandals, which a lot of people fear will happen to 3417 during it's time at EG.

34067James

I think the reason why it's gone early is the condition of the unit. If they left it until a week or two before the Eastleigh 100 open weekend, the unit may be in quite a state because of the local vandals, which a lot of people fear will happen to 3417 during it's time at EG.

A message on SE-GEN Posted by Jeremy Harrison said the reason it went to the Bluebell in the first place was
that no-one else would give it a home (and the offer to the Bluebell of
free mainline connection and a bit of track outweighed their misgivings
over it - for them it's rather a white elephant). An offer of free (and
secure) accommodation at Eastleigh for it, and disquiet from those who
had made it nice and shiny about it just sitting at EG, led to a change
of mind and location.
Hope that helps everyone

James

CraigS

Established Member
While reading a post on the WNXX forum which was posted by Mr Knights, I have found out that 3417 has moved down to Eastleigh for safe keeping on behalf of the Bluebell Railway, who are still the owners of the unit. So it hasn't moved down there early for Eastleigh 100 in it's best condition like I thought in my previous post.

EDIT

Seems 34067James has kind of beaten me to it :lol:

DavyCrocket

A message on SE-GEN Posted by Jeremy Harrison said the reason it went to the Bluebell in the first place was
that no-one else would give it a home (and the offer to the Bluebell of
free mainline connection and a bit of track outweighed their misgivings
over it - for them it's rather a white elephant). An offer of free (and
secure) accommodation at Eastleigh for it, and disquiet from those who
had made it nice and shiny about it just sitting at EG, led to a change
of mind and location.
Hope that helps everyone

James

There were no misguided views. This was just a much better situation in which to store the 4VEP. It was all arranged at the last minute!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Techniquest: Let me guess your traveling on something boring like a class 220 ,class 378 ,or you are going tube bashing :lol: Just seen your sig and that your on the The Mersey Mancunian that be good at one part as your t+t with a Freightline 66 & a DBS 66 :o

Nope, none of those three. If I'm down in London that day, the plan will be to enjoy some Grand Central action! Some proper trains!

34067James

There were no misguided views. This was just a much better situation in which to store the 4VEP. It was all arranged at the last minute!

I was only posting a message from SE-GEN

Nope, none of those three. If I'm down in London that day, the plan will be to enjoy some Grand Central action! Some proper trains!

Yes a proper train :roll:

James

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes a proper train :roll:

James

Yes, a proper train that doesn't spend years in pieces in a museum demanding £Xm to be spent on it before it breaks down for 5 years again...I'm sure I need not tell you what I'm thinking of.

A proper train with a rather large group of followers and a group of members that gets bigger every month that is also gathering up parts regularly as they become available to be ready for preservation so it doesn't become the Flying Scrapman.

A proper train that has been running on front-line premier services for 33 years and counting.

I wasn't going to bring this lot up, but since you used that emoticon and sarcasm I might as well.

34067James

Yes, a proper train that doesn't spend years in pieces in a museum demanding £Xm to be spent on it before it breaks down for 5 years again...I'm sure I need not tell you what I'm thinking of.

A proper train with a rather large group of followers and a group of members that gets bigger every month that is also gathering up parts regularly as they become available to be ready for preservation so it doesn't become the Flying Scrapman.

A proper train that has been running on front-line premier services for 33 years and counting.

I wasn't going to bring this lot up, but since you used that emoticon and sarcasm I might as well.

Well when she is back in 2010 we will see if she breaks down. A proper tran with rather large group of followers , Oh I know 60163 Tornado :lol: that gets lots and lots of followers they have even had to re route a tour due to crowd control/security issues at Newcastle. And when you say 33 years don't even get started on Steam locomotives :roll: For example 34067 Tangmere is still going strong today and thats over 67 years old 8-)

But in 30 years time will there be any HST preserved I only think the NRM will have one and maybe one else where

End of the day its only a train ;)

James

Zoom

couple of photos of the little beauty here; (taken at Kingscote today). Any more details of the 73 hauled passenger train?

Oh; and hello everyone :D

f087d3559f0faf5f98d8a8a6152024a7.jpg

2cea130315225bb964c49bfe5eabd111.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
Any more details of the 73 hauled passenger train?

From what I have heard elsewhere it is going to be on the 7th of March, 1 round trip and tickets are going to be £30!

class 313

Established Member
25 MPH on the mainline :-x you need your eyes testing 75 MPH is the most they do & 45 MPH tender first ,Oh and if you Tornado it can do 90 MPH which is faster then any diesel it could also do 100MPH :o

Did I just see that?

43 (hst) - 125mph
47 - 95mph
37 - 90mph
... etc

Diesel MU's can reach 100 mph.

:roll:

Galvanize

From what I have heard elsewhere it is going to be on the 7th of March, 1 round trip and tickets are going to be £30!

That REALLY takes the ****, predominantly steam railways ripping diesel enthusiasts off. It's not big and it's not clever :roll: Is it so that they get next to nobody coming to ride it, then decide "It was a waste of time so we won't do it again!" :x

I bet there will be more people linesiding for it rather than riding it because of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.