• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BMI for Safety critical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrys

This place has been a really great source of information as I work through various applications so thank you.

I have applied for various roles classed as safety critical roles in recent weeks and have a few assesment days booked in.

I have been doing some research in advance and see that a lot of toc's ask for BMIs at a max of 33 at the medical or its a fail?

I am currently 37, I've put some weight on while unemployed but am getting back to the diet now!! I estimate I need to lose a stone and a half to get to 33, and as I say its now a work in progress, but what are peoples experiences with this? If I get called for a medical now I'll be at 36/37 so is that likely to be an automatic fail, or are there other things taken into consideration?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimicrowbar

Here pal, i train with weights alot and i just passed a BMI of 39 because am so heavy. I would hope it never came into it as people have to use common sense with these things. BMI is not very accurate at messuring the truth. I just passed three weeks ago. Can run a mile in under ten mis with that bmi so how could they refuse.

AndyBoo

ive just found out im 33.8. but if i was an inch taller id be under the 33. so im thinking maybe i buy a pair of trainers that have big heels. medicals are with outside companies. and considering ur asked to take a pee test dressing comfortable has always worked for me.

but ive only been interested in achieving bmi of 33 recently since ive passed all my drivers assessments. ive past a safety critical medical at 36 a few years ago for guard. they just point out ur over weight.

Just give them an excuse. say you exercise well and your very fit, but love to eat at good places. lol. and remember just cos somebody is under 33 bmi dont meant their fit.

im still dieting but as long as you can fit in a small cab, and ur can board the train from the ground i think all will be fine.

TDK

Established Member
This place has been a really great source of information as I work through various applications so thank you.

I have applied for various roles classed as safety critical roles in recent weeks and have a few assesment days booked in.

I have been doing some research in advance and see that a lot of toc's ask for BMIs at a max of 33 at the medical or its a fail?

I am currently 37, I've put some weight on while unemployed but am getting back to the diet now!! I estimate I need to lose a stone and a half to get to 33, and as I say its now a work in progress, but what are peoples experiences with this? If I get called for a medical now I'll be at 36/37 so is that likely to be an automatic fail, or are there other things taken into consideration?

Put it this way if there is someone going for the job and passes the assessments and the BMI is under 33 you have got no chance at BMI 37

Skoodle

My BMI was 35 when I went for my medical. I passed everything else however when it came to addressing the weight, all I had to do was perform a 'mobility test' for the doctor. It was just about showing I had a full range of motion and would have no trouble doing the job. This only took about two minutes so I shouldn't think you'd have a problem.

TDK

Established Member
My BMI was 35 when I went for my medical. I passed everything else however when it came to addressing the weight, all I had to do was perform a 'mobility test' for the doctor. It was just about showing I had a full range of motion and would have no trouble doing the job. This only took about two minutes so I shouldn't think you'd have a problem.

It's not mobility it's the ergonomics of the cab that will restrict a larger person

Skoodle

It was called a mobility test by the nurse and doctor. It's not so much the ergonomics of the cab, but being able to get up and into or out of the cab from ground level. Also making sure you are fit enough to walk along the ballast.

Status
Not open for further replies.